Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1979-80 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 3 - 0 Hibernian
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Archibald 44, McMaster 73, McMaster 89.        
Attendance: 10,300
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
This was Aberdeen's opening league fixture at Pittodrie in what was to be a memorable season, culminating in winning the Premier League for the first time, John McMaster gave a great display in this game including a spectacular long-range goal.

Aberdeen kicked off with a tremendous attacking burst and within 20 seconds John McMaster drove a powerful shot just past the post, Before Hibs had managed to organise themselves properly at the back, Duncan Davidson, McMaster again and Mark McGhee all threatened McArthur's goal in quick succession. The 12,000 crowd - the Dons' fans among them anyway - enjoyed the early Aberdeen pressure. Hibs eventually counter-attacked and a Bremner shot was deflected narrowly past by Willie Garner. An outstanding save by McArthur kept the scoreline blank when he leapt to touch a Davidson shot on to the post. When McMaster slipped, Callachan thundered past Doug Considine and hit the ball into the side-netting. The Easter Road side tried again and Campbell forced Bobby Clark to tip his raging shot on to, and over, the bar. A minute before half-time Steve Archibald broke the deadlock when he rose high above the visitors' defence to head home a Gordon Strachan corner-kick.

McGhee was floored by Duncan as the Dons eagerly sought the vital second goal, Campbell and McNamara combined to baulk Archibald as the home side increased the pressure. Former Aberdeen manager Eddie Turnbull introduced Rae for Brown in an effort to stem the tide. A few minutes later Drew Jarvie came on for Davidson and Brown substituted for Higgins. Immediately the Aberdeen replacement made an impact on the game, setting up chances for Archibald and Strachan. McArthur again excelled by pushing Strachan's deceptive chip over the bar but in 73 minutes he was beaten when the Dons claimed their second goal. McMaster shot strongly from 25 yards out and the power was too much for the keeper, who allowed the ball to squirm out of his grasp. A crisp piece of play involving Archibald, McGhee and Jarvie almost brought a third goal as the Dons buzzed around McArthur's goal. The home side were now in complete control and in 89 minutes Jarvie sent McMaster clear for the midfielder, who had played excellently throughout, to round the keeper and guide the ball into the empty net.

Source: March Programme, 1st August 1992

N.B.Despite what is described in the above match report, the second goal scored by the Dons in this match was originally awarded to Steve Archibald in the weekend papers but by Monday it had been given to Duncan Davidson.
The circumstances were that Archibald had headed the ball on target but Davidson actually took the ball over the line. It may also be the case that the referee had awarded the goal to Davidson in his report.
Needless to say both of the players claimed the goal as theirs.
Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Clark, Kennedy, Considine, McLeish, Garner, Miller, McGhee, Archibald, Strachan, McMaster, Davidson (Jarvie 65).

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  McGhee (63).

Hibernian Teamsheet:  McArthur, Brazil, Duncan, Bremner, Paterson, McNamara, Callachan, Campbell, Hutchinson, Brown J (Rae 59), Higgins (Brown 65)


Referee: M. Delaney, Cleland

Related Links: