Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2002-03 fixture list
Scottish Cup Third Round 
Queen of the South 0 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM          
Attendance: 5,716
Venue: Palmerston Park, Dumfries
Dons and Queens to do it again.
Aberdeen and Queen of the South must do it all again in ten days time after a no-scoring draw at Palmerston today. The Dons had their chances, but poor finishing let them down once again. However, by the end of the match Aberdeen were thankful of a second chance as the hosts carved out a couple of gilt-edged chances to spring a surprise. David Preece was the hero with a terrific save in the 69th minute to deny Weatherson.

Aberdeen were given an early warning as early as the first minute when Queens carved out the first chance of the match. McLaughlin headed the ball into the path of O'Neil who reacted quickest and volleyed over from 8 yards. The Dons settled well however and McNaughton was the playmaker as he terrorised the hosts on the right hand side with some probing runs. The Dons early chances were limited to a sliced Chris Clark shot in the 4th minute and a blocked Mackie drive five minutes later.

The Dons carved out a decent chance in the 10th minute when McNaughton put Clark through on the right. The winger was forced wide but still managed to fire over a decent cross which Mackie flicked onto the head of D'Jaffo. The lack of pace on the ball made it difficult for the Frenchman as he steered the ball over the bar. The Dons had control at this stage as the hosts struggled to pin down the rampaging McNaughton.

Queens were effective on the counter and after testing the Dons defence with a couple of free kicks they went close in the 19th minute when a snap-shot from Paton was steered wide. Three minutes later McNaughton went on another run down the right before flicking the ball into the danger area. Unfortunately none of his colleagues reacted and the danger was cleared. In the space of five minutes Mr. Martindale produced two deserved yellow cards. McColligan being punished for a late challenge on Tosh and McAllister for a badly timed lunge at McColligan.

In between the two cautions Aberdeen carved out another chance as Clark drilled in a low shot from 20 yards following good build up play by McAllister. However Andy Goram was down well to deny the Dons the lead. Aberdeen were starting to impose themselves and in the 29th minute Anderson had a powerful header blocked as he tried to convert a McNaughton free kick. McGuire collected the loose ball and drilled it against a Queens defender. The centre-back made a rather weak appeal for a penalty, but a corner was quite rightly awarded.

Three minutes later D'Jaffo had a 20-yard drive easily held by Goram after some neat play by Derek Young. The Doonhamers then enjoyed a period of possession without ever threatening the Dons goal. They went close however in the 38th minute when Paton had a pot at goal from 30 yards. The effort went wide and from the restart the Dons countered when McNaughton went marauding down the right flank again only to pull up sharply after delivering his first poor cross of the day.

McNaughton failed to recover and was replaced in the 41st minute by new signing Paul Sheerin. Sheerin got involved immediately delivering a pin-point accurate corner in the 43rd minute which Anderson headed high over the bar. In the final minute of the half Mackie should have put the Dons ahead following a scramble inside the Queen's box. The ball broke to Mackie and as the home team appealed for offside Mackie steered the ball inches wide of the post with only Goram to beat.

The Dons started the second half brightly with Clark taking over where McNaughton had left off. His crosses provided D'Jaffo and Mackie with a couple of half chances in the opening five minutes, but Goram dealt with the threat quite easily. Anderson rescued the Dons in the 51st minute when he managed to block a Bowey shot from 6 yards and a minute later Clark drilled a low shot wide and then turned provider as McAllister headed wide under pressure.

O'Connor replaced McColligan in the 62nd minute and the Queens man should have done better five minutes later when he beat the offside trap and went one on one with David Preece. Poor control let him down however and Preece was able to collect as the ball ran away from him. Both sides were struggling to show any sort of composure in front of goal, but in the 67th minute Queen of the South carved out the best chance of the match. Weatherson hit a peach of a shot from 35 yards, which dipped and swerved as it headed for the net. Somehow Preece threw himself across his goal to turn the ball round the post.

Mike was thrown into the fray in the 73rd minute but his best attempts were two headers in the space of a minute which both went wide of the target. Tosh also drilled an effort wide and O'Donoghue (who replaced McAllister) hit a volley off target as the Dons endured a nervous last ten minutes. The closing minutes witnessed some desperate Dons defending and the final whistle was a welcome sound.

Queen of the South Teamsheet:  Goram, Renicks, Anderson, McColligan, Aitken, Thomson, O'Neil, Bowey, Paton, Weatherson, McLaughlin.

Unused Subs: O'Connor for McColligan (62)

Bookings:  McColligan (24),   Bowey (80)

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, McNaughton (Sheerin 41), McAllister (O'Donoghue 81), McGuire, Anderson, Mackie, Rutkiewicz, Tosh, Young, Clark, D'Jaffo (Mike 73).

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  McAllister (28).

Referee: Eric Martindale

Related Links: