Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1982-83 fixture list
European Cup Winners Cup Final 
Aberdeen 2 - 1 Real Madrid
    After extra time
Kick Off:  7:30 PM   Black 6, Hewitt 111.       Juanito 14 pen  
Attendance: 17,800 (Visitors: 14,000)
Venue: Ullevi Stadium, Gothenburg
Real magic from champion Dons
The game began in monsoon conditions, which perhaps suited the Scots, and it was Aberdeen who made the early running. In five minutes a spectacular volley from Eric Black crashed off the bar. If Madrid thought they had just to turn up to win then the Dons soon knocked that out of them. It was a devilish start by the Dons and they really went for it from the word go. That early pressure brought the first goal when Alex McLeish headed down a deep Gordon Strachan corner. It was Eric Black who reacted the quickest to clip the ball past Augustin in the Real goal. It was game on.

After quarter of an hour, disaster for the Dons! A short pass back from McLeish allowed Santillana to reach the ball before the outreached arm of Jim Leighton. Juanito converted the penalty. The Dons at that stage looked in trouble as they failed to come to terms with losing a goal. Alex Ferguson recalled - "for 20 minutes the team forgot all the things we had been telling them, especially how we would react if we lost a goal. We lost our grip on the game and it was only in the last five minutes of the first half that we managed to be ourselves again. At half time, two things were discussed: the first was pushing Weir further forward to give the midfield more room to play; the second was getting the strikers, McGhee and Black, to work back more quickly so Stielike would be forced further forward thereby letting Cooper and Simpson to get at him".

The second half was all Aberdeen and they went close on several occasions. Gordon Strachan, Weir and McGhee were all over Real like a rash but the decisive goal would just not come. It seemed that Real Madrid had settled for extra time and the game sapped every ounce of energy out of the players. Ferguson continued, "extra time is always nervous as whoever scores first tends to win the match but my other worry was if the final went down to penalty kicks - no British team had ever won in a shoot out".

With only minutes left it took another superb build up from the Dons to finally bring the winning goal. Peter Weir, who had tormented Juan Jose all night, set up Mark McGhee down the left. The Dons striker rode a challenge to leave himself clear on the edge of the box. He delivered a perfect left foot cross which was missed by Augustin and left John Hewitt to dive in and head home a glorious goal.

The 15,000 Aberdeen fans went wild. The Red Army mustered up renewed vigour to bring their side to a nerve-wracking finish. A late free kick whistled past Jim Leighton's post and it was all over; Aberdeen had won the Cup Winners Cup.

Once the reality had sunk in it was time for Ferguson to reflect - "We got better because we knew that time was running out on the chance of a life time. We had the belief that we were better than Real".

Last word to beaten Real Madrid manager Alfredo Di Stefano - "Aberdeen have what money can't buy - a soul; a team spirit built in a family tradition."

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Leighton, Rougvie, McMaster, Cooper, McLeish, Miller, Strachan, Simpson, McGhee, Black (Hewitt), Weir.

Unused Subs: Gunn, Watson, Angus, Kennedy.


Real Madrid Teamsheet:  Augustin, Juan Jose, Camacho (San Jose), Metgod, Bonet, Gallego, Juanito, Angel, Santillana, Stielike (Salguero), Isidro


Referee: G. Menajali, Italy

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)