Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2002-03 fixture list
Aberdeen 2 - 3 Hamburg
Kick Off:  7:45 PM   Sheerin 4, Young 56.       Romeo (20), Baur 34, Baur 49  
Attendance: 10,180 (Visitors: 81)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Hamburgers relish spoiling Dons party
The Dons kicked off their centenary celebration glamour friendlies with a tie against SV Hamburg, whose last competitive visit to Pittodrie saw the Dons lift the European Super Cup. For the younger fans, there was another centenary to mark, as Dons' mascot, Angus the Bull saw his 100th game.

Aberdeen got off to the perfect start in only the fourth minute of the match. A Chris Clark through ball released Paul Sheerin, who calmly slotted past Pieckenhagen in the Hamburg goal. The Dons continued their bright start to the game, with Derek Young efforts, sandwiching a Meijer header, bringing saves out of Pieckenhagen.

SV Hamburg scorned their best chance of the match in the 17th minute when Jacobsen could only blaze the ball over from a tight angle. The visitors didn't have to wait long to please their small, but noisy, band of fans. Groth raced to the touchline, cutting the ball back for Romeo to add the finishing touch to draw the Germans level.

The Bundesliga side were making life difficult for the Dons, and they went close to taking the lead in the 25th minute. Christensen broke to the touchline, but Romeo could only blast the cutback wide on this occasion. A slip in the concentration of the German backline almost let in Derek Young for the leveller, but he mis-hit his shot.

Hamburg continued to press the Dons, and almost took the lead in the 34th minute. A short corner was played back to Groth, and Kjaer had to be at full stretch to tip the shot over the bar. The second for Hamburg wasn't long in coming though. From the resulting corner, Baur bulleted a Rahn corner past the helpless Kjaer. In the 38th minute, Derek Young tested Pieckenhagen, with a firm header from a Hart cross. It was the Germans though who went closest to scoring again in the 34th minute. Baur flicked on a Groth corner, and Kjaer was only able to gather after a furious scramble.

The second half was only four minutes old when Hamburg increased their lead. Baur and Meijer were involved in a neat interchange of passes, before Baur left Kjaer stranded with a powerful shot from 10 yards. Just a minute later, Steve Tosh almost embarrassed substitute goalkeeper Wachter. A poor kickout landed at the feet of the midfielder 50 yards from goal, and Wachter had to scramble across his goal to keep the ball out.

The Dons got back into the game in the 56th minute. A Clark cross was dropped by Wachter at the feet of Derek Young, who prodded the ball home from close range. The Dons were pushing for an equalising goal, and it was Paul Sheerin who went close in the 66th minute, but his low drive was saved by Wachter. The Dons pushed for an equaliser, but couldn't find a way though the German defence, for what would have been a hard fought draw.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Kjaer (Preece 56), Hart (McNaughton 74), McAllister, Deloumeaux, McGuire, Young, Tosh (Payne 87), Young (Mike 77), Hinds, Sheerin, Clark (Rutkiewicz 80).

Unused Subs:


Hamburg Teamsheet:  Pieckenhagen, Rahn, Hertzsch, Wicky, Groth, Baur, Romeo, Meijer, Jacobsen, Christensen, Fukal

Unused Subs: Wachter for Pieckenhagen (46), Ledesma for Romeo (46), Mahdavikia for Jacobsen (77), Maltritz for Ledesma (83)

Bookings:  None  None

Referee: A Freeland, Aberdeen

Related Links: