Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1983-84 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 2 - 0 Heart of Midlothian
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Rougvie 33, Simpson 89.        
Attendance: 19,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Hearts Trumped and Doug
19,000 were at the game and they saw the incorrigible Doug Rougvie scoring with his chest. The highlight of the day, in addition to gathering two points was the pre-match presentation to Aberdeen F.C., made by SFA officials, in recognition of the Dons' achievement in winning two trophies in season 1982-83, the European Cup Winners' Cup and the Scottish Cup.
Fired up by the emotion of the occasion, Aberdeen took the initiative from the outset. A neat move involving Mark McGhee and Peter Weir gave John Hewitt a half-chance but the youngster was crowded out before he could shoot. Hewitt showed his seed a few minutes later when he latched onto a faulty pass-back by Cowie, but was thwarted when Smith dived bravely at his feet.
Cowie and Willie Miller collided accidentally and them McLaren was booked for persistent fouling. Aberdeen stepped up the pace and Neale Cooper and Gordon Strachan combined well on the right, only for Jardine to make a clever interception to prevent Hewitt from scoring.
Eventually Aberdeen got the goal their play merited in 32 minutes. Cowie blocked a Doug Rougvie header on the line and when Strachan returned the ball into the goalmouth the big fellow burst through a cluster of players to chest the ball over the line. Three minutes later a Hewitt "counter" was disallowed for offside.
The Dons were now in full cry and Strachan and McGhee both shaved Smith's woodwork with fiery sots. They were penetrating the visitors' defence regularly but were failing to apply the lethal finish. Right on the interval Cooper squandered a great opportunity supplied by Hewitt.

There was no way that the "people's hero" Rougvie could be kept out of the headlines. Within 30 seconds of the restart he unleashed a pile-driver which Smith did exceedingly well to finger-tip over his bar at full stretch. The full-back powered his way goalwards some minutes later and somehow scooped a Strachan corner kick onto the crossbar when it seemed easier to score.
Despite their continuing pressure, the home team and their fans were becoming agitated at the dearth of goals. As long as they were only one goal ahead there was always the possibility of the visitors snatching an equaliser. Doug Bell had a good effort well saved by Smith, who was certainly the Hearts' hero and was keeping them in the game. He had two more saves before McGhee missed a golden opportunity from an accurate Strachan pass, ballooning the ball over the bar from 16 yards.
The Dons almost paid for their missed chances in 68 minutes when Johnston, who had replaced McLaren, won a corner. Roddy MacDonald outjumped Jim Leighton and Aberdeen were indebted to Miller, who managed to knock the ball behind. Ian Porteous came on as a substitute and within two minutes almost scored with a rocket shot.
Right on the stroke of time Neil Simpson smacked a low drive off the post into the net from a typically accurate Weir cross to ease the Dons' anxiety. This victory left the Dons clear at the top by three points.

Source: Match programme, 17th April 1993

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Leighton, Cooper, Rougvie, Simpson, McLeish, Miller, Strachan, Hewitt (Porteous), McGhee, Bell, Weir.

Unused Subs: McIntyre.


Heart of Midlothian Teamsheet:  Smith, Kidd, Cowie, Jardine, MacDonald R, McLaren (Johnston 69), Park, Mackay, Bone, MacDonald A (O'Connor), Robertson

Bookings:  McLaren 22,   Park 37

Referee: M. Delaney, Cleland

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)