Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1983-84 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 5 - 1 Dundee United
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Rougvie, McGhee, Black, Rougvie, McGhee.       Reilly 34  
Attendance: 19,562
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
The Dons must surely win the Premier League title after this sparkling display and the dismissal of their main title rivals, Dundee United. Almost 20,000 saw Aberdeen in irresistible form, with the highlight being a tremendous headed goal by Eric Black. Doug Rougvie and Mark McGhee each netted twice.

In the opening minute Doug Rougvie went down injured after a heavy tackle from Gough but recovered in time to see Gordon Strachan have the first shot at goal, a swerving shot which went wide. The Dons looked to be in the right mood and in six minutes Eric Black sent in a crisp shot which hit the side-netting after a fine build-up between Neil Simpson and Mark McGhee. Aberdeen's early promise was fulfilled in ten minutes when they went ahead. After a flowing move Strachan drove the ball across goal and Black and a defender fell when going for it. McGhee followed up, drove the ball goal-wards and when McAlpine blocked it, Rougvie was in the right spot to net from a few yards out.
Rougvie almost undid his good work with a slack pass which allowed Malpas in for a tremendous drive which Jim Leighton brilČliantly touched over the bar. United received another shock in 27 minutes when the Dons went two ahead. McGhee collected the ball 20 yards out and his shot was swerving and dipping as it hit the keeper's hands and bounced into the corner of the net - a goal McAlpine will want to forget. Immediately after this goal Strachan saw his shot slide just wide. Reilly shook the Dons in 34 minutes when his firmly hit shot nestled in the corner of the net. The goal flow continued three minutes later when Black beat Narey and crossed for McGhee to score with a glancing header. Then Bannon headed another McGhee header off the line.

United, with Holt on for Gough, were in peril right away when Strachan beat three defendČers before shooting straight at McAlpine. The Tannadice team should have reduced the leeway but Coyne missed a chance when clean through. Then Dodds hit a shot high over the bar. To a great cheer Peter Weir, who had missed the previous eleven games through injury, replaced Ian Angus. Aberdeen extended their lead in the 63rd minute when Strachan parted to Weir and his superb cross was brilliantly headed home by Black low past McAlpine. Billy Stark then replaced McGhee. The Dons neatly wrapped up the evening festivities in 67 minutes when Rougvie made the tally 5-1 after a Brian Mitchell cross ha: been touched on by Black to leave the big fellow with the freedom of Pittodrie to score his second goal. Then came the sad sight c: Weir limping badly and leaving the field. The ten man Aberdeen team had no difficulty in holding United in the closing stages. The Dons left the field to a great ovation.

Source: Match Programme, 3rd October 1992

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Leighton, Mitchell, Rougvie, Simpson, McLeish, Miller, Strachan, Black, McGhee (Stark), Bell, Angus (Weir).

Unused Subs:


Dundee United Teamsheet:  McAlpine, Stark, Malpas, Gough (Holt), Hegarty, Narey, Bannon, Kirkwood, Reilly, Coyne (Clark), Dodds


Referee: H. Young, Larkhall

Related Links: