Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2003-04 fixture list
Aberdeen 2 - 1 Partick Thistle
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Booth 6, Anderson 76.       Mitchell (52)  
Attendance: 10,597 (Visitors: 458)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Dons grab first win
Aberdeen recorded their first win of the campaign with a narrow 2-1 victory over Partick Thistle. Leading 1-0 at half time through a Scott Booth goal the Dons lost the momentum when Thistle equalised after the break. After surviving a couple of scares Russell Anderson popped up for the second match in a row to grab an important goal. It wasn't pretty to watch, but the three points are welcome at this stage.

The only action of note in the opening five minutes was the booking of Scott Muirhead. The youngster went in hard and appeared to win the ball, but referee Murray deemed the challenge to be illegal and booked the youngster. The jeers from the red army turned to cheers three minutes later when the Dons grabbed the lead. A Sheerin free kick was flighted into the box and as Mikkelsen dithered Scott Booth headed the ball into the net unchallenged. Tosh became the second Don to be booked when he was cautioned for a meaty challenge in the 10th minute.

Aberdeen almost made it 2-0 in the 16th minute when good play saw Sheerin collect a Booth pass on the edge of the box and drill his effort inches wide of the Thistle post. Preece was smartly off his line after 20 minutes to intercept a Rowson lob into the box as the visitors probed for an opening. The visitors' efforts to get back on terms were being aided by some poor distribution from the home side. Loud claims went up from the Thistle players and fans in the 25th minute as Mitchell took a tumble in the box, but much to their consternation referee Murray booked the Jags man for diving.

A good move on the half hour mark saw Heikkinen release Tosh and the midfielder was denied when Milne made a last gasp block. Three minutes later Heikkinen had a pot at goal and the keeper did well to hold his effort. Another effort by Tosh in the 35th minute was easily stopped as the Dons looked to give themselves a cushion. This almost came two minutes later as Muirhead broke on the left and Booth missed his cross by a hairs breadth. At the other end Milne wasn't far away with an effort that went inches over the bar.

Mikkelesen was scrambling across his goal line in the 43rd minute to turn a fierce Sheerin shot round his post and the last chance of the half fell to Muirhead who hit a rather wild volley high into the family stand.

The second period started at a frantic pace as Preece made a fumble in the opening minute before recovering quickly. The Dons should have extended their lead in the 47th minute when Booth and Zdrilic combined well before the Aussie strikers shot was half blocked then cleared off the line. Partick capitalised on this let off five minutes later when Mitchell took advantage of a Hart slip up to fire in the equaliser. It was tough on the centre back that had had a decent game to that point.

The Jags almost snatched the lead two minutes later when Preece scrambled the ball clear after Yves Anis fired in a shot from a tight angle. Aberdeen were stung by this comeback, but Booth went close in the 56th minute after turning smartly and firing over from 15 yards. With the game slipping away from his side, Paterson replaced Sheerin with Darren Mackie. Within a minute Preece pulled off a fantastic save from a well worked free kick finished by Milne.

Mackie made an impact in the 74th minute when he swung in an early cross that was fumbled by Mikkelesen. Unfortunately no one was able to capitalise on the error. The Dons did capitalise two minutes later when Russell Anderson rose above the Thistle defence to head home a Tosh cross. Immediately after the goal Deloumeaux replaced the injured Heikkinen and Hinds replaced Zdrilic.

Aberdeen could have wrapped it up in the 85th minute when Muirhead broke with pace and delivered a deep cross. Unfortunately Booth was unable to control the ball and the chance was lost. Despite a couple of half chances there was no further incident and the Dons held on to win.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, McNaughton, Hart, Anderson, McQuilken, Tosh, Muirhead, Heikkinen (Deloumeaux 77), Zdrilic (Hinds 77), Sheerin (Mackie 70), Booth.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Muirhead (4),  Tosh (10).

Partick Thistle Teamsheet:  Mikkelesen, Lilley, Milne, Forrest, Whyte, Rowson, McBride, Taylor, Britton, Grady, Mitchell

Unused Subs: Yves Anis for Whyte (14) Thomson for McBride (56) Gemmell for Mitchell (77)

Bookings:  Mitchell (25)

Referee: Calum Murray

Related Links: