Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2003-04 fixture list
Dunfermline Athletic 2 - 2 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Dk Young (61), Bullen (74)       Deloumeaux 24, Booth 60.  
Attendance: 5,294
Venue: East End Park, Dunfermline
Dons hang on for a point
Aberdeen let a two goal lead slip at East End Park then struggled to hang on to a point. After a fine first half performance that saw Deloumeaux fire them ahead the Dons then doubled their advantage on the hour mark through Scott Booth. Unfortunately they conceded a goal within a minute and lost a second in the 74th minute and had to rely on string of saves from David Preece to hang on to the precious point.

The Dons kicked off as the rain continued to pour down making the plastic pitch even trickier than normal. After a cagey opening Dunfermline carved out the first chance of the match in the 8th minute. As the Dons players stood appealing for offside, Nicholson played to the whistle, headed to goal and forced Preece into a fine block to concede the first corner. Four minutes later Thomson made a real hash of a chip and sent the ball high over the bar and seconds later Zdrilic and Booth linked well before Booth sliced his effort well off target.

Preece rescued the Dons again in the 14th minute when Crawford under severe pressure from Anderson forced the keeper into a fine save. The Dons went close themselves in the 18th minute as good build up play involving Deloumeaux, Clark and Zdrilic set up Booth. Unfortunately the veteran striker found himself with a tight angle and drove the ball into the side netting. The Dons grabbed the lead in the 24th minute when Chris Clark went on a run and was upended by Wilson to win a free kick.

The Pars player made no attempt to play the ball and was lucky to escape a booking. His side was punished however as Clark rolled the ball to Deloumeaux and the Frenchman hammered the ball into the net via a deflection. On the half hour mark McNaughton sent over a dangerous cross that Stillie struggled to collect. Unfortunately there were no Dons players on hand to capitalise on the fumble. Stillie almost made a real bloomer again in the 39th minute as he missed a pass back and was forced to scurry back to clear.

The game erupted in the closing minutes as Zdrilic was booked for a late challenge seconds after Darren Young had committed a similar offence on the Aussie. Booth had been booked earlier for failing to retreat at a free kick while Mr Brines had kept his cards in his pocket for any Pars indiscretions. In the last minute Zdrilic had a chance to extend the lead but his effort went high over the bar.

The Dons were forced to scramble a corner clear in the opening minute of the second period after Rutkiewicz had sliced a clearance out of play. Once more Preece earned his corn in the 53rd minute when he was down quickly to block a Darren Young effort while two minutes later Deloumeaux almost added a second with a fierce shot that was palmed away by Stillie. Then in the 59th minute Zdrilic set up Steve Tosh for a great chance, but the midfielder chipped early and failed to score.

The Dons doubled their lead on the hour mark when Zdrilic showed great strength to set up Scott Booth for the second. Unfortunately the two goal advantage only lasted a minute as Nicholson beat Morrison before delivering a good cross that was turned into the net by Derek Young for the ex Dons first goal for his new club. The home side almost levelled in the 66th minute when Dempsey set up Brewster. Once more Preece pulled off a magnificent stop to deny the Pars and three minutes later he was out of his goal again quickly to block Crawford.

Leigh Hinds replaced Zdrilic in the 72nd minute as the Dons looked to stem the wave of attacks coming from the home side. The pressure finally paid in the 74th minute when Lee Bullen beat Preece to level the match. Preece made another great save in the 82nd minute as he tipped a Dempsey shot over the bar. The subsequent corner saw Dunfermline hit the woodwork as the Dons struggled to hang on to the one point. Deloumeaux started the scoring and it was his last gasp tackle on Darren Young in the closing seconds that ensured the Dons a point.

Dunfermline Athletic Teamsheet:  Stillie, Wilson, Skerla, Thomson, Dn Young, Nicholson, Mason, Crawford, Brewster, Dk Young, Todd.

Unused Subs: Thomson for Bullen (40), Dempsey for Todd (62), Hunt for Derek Young (74)

Bookings:  Wilson (67)

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, Morrison, Anderson, Rutkiewicz, McNaughton, Tosh, Deloumeaux, Heikkinen (Sheerin 80), Clark, Booth (Mackie 85), Zdrilic (Hinds 72).

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Booth (33),  Zdrilic (44),  Rutkiewicz (85),  Anderson (90).

Referee: Iain Brines, Erskine

Related Links: