Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2003-04 fixture list
Partick Thistle 0 - 3 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM         Anderson 43, Clark 48, Anderson 64.  
Attendance: 5,189
Venue: Firhill, Glasgow
Captain Fantastic sets up the points
Russell Anderson played the captain's role today as his double secured all three points for the Dons. A late Chris Clark goal added the icing to the cake as the Dons recovered from losing Steve Tosh to illness prior to kick off. This was Aberdeen's first back to back win this season, their first clean sheet of the season, their first win in Glasgow for ten years and their third unbeaten SPL match in a row. All in all a fine afternoon's work and this result moves the Dons closer to the pack above them with a visit from Dundee to follow next week.

The Dons kicked off the match in front of a healthy travelling support but it was Thistle who threatened first when a well worked corner was headed over the bar in the 5th minute. Two minutes later desperate defending by Diamond then Foster kept the home side at bay as Thistle held the early initiative. Booth released Morrison on the left in the 12th minute and the youngster fired in a wicked cross which caused Arthur concern. Unfortunately there was no one at the back post to cash in. Then three minutes later Booth got the first Dons shot at goal but the striker was falling back as he hit the strike and it went sailing high over the bar.

Aberdeen had settled in to the match now and threatened again in the 18th minute when Whyte was forced to boot clear as Booth threatened. A minute later Morrison won the Dons first corner of the match with a second quickly following. The Thistle defence were able to cope with the threat and cleared their lines successfully. In the 21st minute Hinds released Clark and Kenny Arthur was smartly off his line to smother the ball. The Jags were still dangerous however and should have taken the lead in the 23rd minute when Milne took advantage of a dithering Rutkiewicz and fired inches past the post when he really should have hit the target.

This inspired the home side and they threatened again in the 26th minute when McBride had a free header at goal. Rutkiewicz was having a torrid time at the hands of Kenny Milne and much of the danger was coming from this area of the park as the home side once again gained the upper hand. Marcus Heikkinen was mysteriously booked in the 32nd minute. One can only assume it was something said by the Finnish midfielder. Once the game restarted Milne once again beat Rutkiewicz and fired in another dangerous cross that was scrambled clear by the Dons defence. At the other end Foster had a chance to get as shot on target but failed to get any power behind the header.

In the 39th minute Russell Anderson had to head the ball out for a corner as Lilley threatened from a free kick. Preece finally gathered the ball to tidy up the danger as the game headed towards the break. Then against the run of play Aberdeen grabbed a sensational lead in the 43rd minute. Scott Morrison whipped in a dangerous cross and Anderson came with a late run to out jump everyone and head the ball into the net. A minute later Anderson was at the other end playing the captain's role and heading a Thistle cross clear to hold on to the lead he had given the Dons.

Partick started the second half in the ascendancy and forced a corner in the opening minute, but the Dons had a big penalty claim turned down in the 47th minute. Hinds was clearly impeded as he went to shoot and the ball fell to Foster. The youngster fired in a shot, but Arthur made a fine save and turned the ball round the post. Justice was done a minute later when Anderson added a second from the resulting corner kick when his powerful header beat Kenny Arthur in the home goal.

Foster almost grabbed a third in the 58th minute when he latched on to a slack Derek Whyte pass back. Unfortunately he squeezed the ball wide before colliding with Kenny Arthur. The youngster was replaced five minutes later by Scott Muirhead. Fleming went close with a free kick in the 68th minute when he fired an effort into the side netting. A series of corners failed to earn the home side anything as the Dons comfortably coped with everything Partick had to offer.

Zdrilic replaced the hard working Leigh Hinds in the 73rd minute but Thistle should have pulled one back in the 77th minute. Gemmell was put clear and Chris Clark made a great last gasp tackle to deny the Jags substitute. Mackie then replaced Sheerin in the 81st minute and this prompted a spell of pressure for the Dons which ended with Anderson missing out on his hat trick by a matter of inches. He beat Lilley to a Clark corner and headed wide. The game ended with the Dons on the attack and both Clark and Mackie went close to adding a third.

The third finally came in the last minute when good work by Booth set Clark free. The midfielder made no mistake with his finish and grabbed his first goal of the season to add the icing to the cake. The Dons now go for a hat trick of league wins when Dundee head north next Saturday.

Partick Thistle Teamsheet:  Arthur, Murray, Whyte, Madaschi, Lilley, Ross, Fleming, Milne, Mitchell, Grady, McBride.

Unused Subs: Gemmell for Whyte (60) Panther for Ross (75), Taylor for McBride (88)

Bookings:  McBride (87)

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, Morrison, Rutkiewicz, Clark, Anderson, Diamond, Sheerin (Mackie 81), Heikkinen, Booth, Foster (Muirhead 62), Hinds (Zdrilic 73).

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Heikkinen (32),   (64).

Referee: Stuart Dougal, Burnside

Related Links: