Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2003-04 fixture list
Livingston 1 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   O'Brien (90)       Booth 23.  
Attendance: 7,115
Venue: Almondvale Stadium, Livingston
Late strike denies Dons
Aberdeen maintained both their current unbeaten run and their unbeaten record at the Livi ground. Unfortunately three points became one as Livingston levelled the match in injury time. Scott Booth appeared to have won the match with a goal midway through the first half but seconds after Clark had a missed a good chance to tie up the game O'Brien pounced to level in the first minute of injury time.

Aberdeen kicked off and went on the offensive winning the opening corner in the first minute. Morrison's delivery was poor, but he caused more problems two minutes later when McKenzie fumbled a decent cross and Booth was on hand to hit a weak shot back into the keepers hands. The Dons were playing some great passing football at this stage and in one such flowing move Clark managed a shot on target. Unfortunately the 8th minute effort was half blocked and took the sting out of the shot.

Anderson picked up a nasty head knock in a challenge with Andrews and the captain was still off the pitch receiving treatment when Makel had a chance to put the home side ahead. Instead of having a shot he tried to set up a team mate and Clark nipped in to clear the danger. Three minutes later a Jamie McAllister effort ended in the street outside the stadium. The home side had now settled after a shaky start and Pasquinelli went close in the 17th minute when he hit a fierce shot which scraped inches over the Dons cross bar.

In the 20th minute good build up play by the Dons gave Scott Morrison a half chance but he fired wide of the target. Then a minute later Aberdeen should have taken the lead when Booth released Tosh and the ex-Livi man had his effort palmed into the path of Hinds. Hinds then looked on in anguish has his effort was headed off the line by Dorado. This only delayed the Dons taking the lead as Scott Booth calmly beat McKenzie in the 23rd minute with a well placed strike to send the large travelling support into full voice.

Livingston won their first corner of the game on the half hour mark, but Muirhead cleared the danger as Livi sent up the big defenders again. Once more Anderson picked up a knock as he kept tabs on Marvin Andrews. Livi looked to threaten again in the 39th minute from a disputed corner, but the Dons defence held firm as Preece was out quickly to claim the ball. The Dons broke quickly from this attack but Muirhead fired the ball across the goal with a delivery that was never going to find a forward. The half ended in a flurry of activity at either end, but the Dons went in at the break happy with the one goal advantage.

Livi gave David Preece his first save of the match when he was called into action in the opening minute of the second period. The home side were working hard to try and level in the early stages, but the Aberdeen defence were holding firm. Scott Morrison won a free kick in the 51st minute which resulted in Booth firing wide of the target. Two minutes later Anderson had to look sharp to deny Lilley and concede a corner kick. The Dons then broke from the set play and despite plenty of possession in the final third they failed to get a shot on goal.

The woodwork saved the Dons a minute later when McNamee delivered a good cross and Makel steered the ball on to the post before it went behind for a goal kick. After a scrappy period of play the game was held up for treatment to both Booth and Clark. Referee Kenny Clark felt that neither was deserving of even a free kick. The Dons managed to win a corner while the two players were off the pitch and the Morrison set play found Tosh on the edge of the box. He steadied himself and hit a fierce shot which McKenzie did well to block with 65 minutes on the clock.

A minute later Preece also made a fine save from Pasquinelli as the game moved from end to end. All the 50-50 decisions were going in Livingston's favour as the Dons battled to hold on to their lead. Rutkiewicz almost provided an equaliser for the home side when a slip allowed Pasquinelli in. The Livi man chipped Preece and fortunately chipped the Dons cross bar as well. Anderson had taken a series of knocks and was eventually forced to leave the field in the 73rd minute giving Phil McGuire the chance to make a comeback.

Referee Clark continued his erratic display in the 76th minute when McGuire went down with a face knock and refused to stop play as Livi continued to pour forward. The Dons players made their feelings known as soon as the ball went out of play. In the 78th minute Zdrilic replaced Hinds who had run himself into the ground. Preece was the hero once more in the 83rd minute when Pasquinelli, looking well offside, was allowed to continue and hit a low shot that was blocked by the keeper.

The home side were throwing everything at the Dons in an effort to draw level but efforts from O'Brien and Makel were well wide of the target. Chris Clark should have put the game beyond doubt in the 90th minute when Booth set him up. Unfortunately he screwed the ball wide and the Dons paid for the miss seconds later when they levelled. Preece had made a wonderful stop from Pasquinelli and as the Dons defence looked static O'Brien prodded the ball into the net to deny the Dons all three points.

Livingston Teamsheet:  McKenzie, Rubio, Andrews, Dorado, McNamee, Makel, O'Brien, Lovell, McAllister, Pasquinelli, Lilley.

Unused Subs: Quino for Rubio (64), Camacho for Lovell (64)


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, Morrison, Rutkiewicz, Tiernan, Anderson (McGuire 73), Heikkinen, Clark, Tosh, Booth, Hinds (Zdrilic 90), Muirhead (Foster 90).

Unused Subs:


Referee: Kenny Clark, Paisley

Related Links: