Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2004-05 fixture list
Brechin City 1 - 2 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  7:30 PM   Ritchie (61)       Hinds 70, Adams 74.  
Attendance: 1,136
Venue: Glebe Park, Brechin
Adams on target as Dons win opener
After a low-key first half the game sparked into life after the interval to cheer the 1.136 crowd. After the Dons created the bulk of the chances Brechin grabbed the lead in the 61st minute after Ritchie latched on to a long ball, rounded the keeper and rolled the ball into the net. The Dons fought back and substitute Leigh Hinds equalised in the 70th minute before a deflected Adams free kick beat the Brechin keeper to give Jimmy Calderwood a winning start.

The Dons carved out the first chance of the match when Craig headed a Chris Clark cross over the bar in the 7th minute. Five minutes later Scott Wilson almost turned the ball into his own net as he attempted to clear a dangerous cross from Muirhead. There were concerned faces in the Aberdeen dugout when Michael Hart picked up a knock in the sixteenth minute, but he was able to continue after some treatment.

Adams went close in the 24th minute when he was set up by Sheerin and at the other end Chris Clark cleared at the back post as the home side threatened. The first shot on target came in the 38th minute when Hay made a simple save from a 30-yard effort from Morrison. Memories of 1983 were evoked two minutes later when Tosh and Sheerin fooled the Brechin defence with a Strachan/McMaster touch of tomfoolery that saw Chris Clark steer the end product over the bar.

The best chance came in the 44th minute when Craig headed over from close range after latching on to the end of a Chris Clark delivery. With McNaughton and Hart forming the central defensive partnership and Clark and Morrison playing at full back the back four had coped well and Ryan Esson dealt comfortably with anything the home side had offered.

The match moved up a gear in the second half with both sides showing increased effort. Brechin went close in the 47th minute with a Grant Johnstone header and five minutes later a nasty challenge on Scott Morrison was cause for concern, but the full back was able to continue after treatment. John Stewart replaced Muirhead in the 55th minute and almost scored with his first touch. He latched on to a long ball, but lost control as he steadied to shoot. Three minutes later Hinds replaced Craig in what looked like a precautionary move.

Mackie had a fierce shot saved on the hour mark and from the keepers clearance the home side grabbed the lead. His long ball eluded the Dons makeshift defence allowing Ritchie to round Esson and slot the ball home. The Dons simply rolled up their sleeves and in the 69th minute Tosh forced a good save from Hay before Hinds equalised a minute later. A long ball from Esson was flicked on to Hinds and he delicately lobbed the keeper from 18 yards.

Four minutes later Hinds was brought down on the edge of the box and after remonstrating with the referee about the distance the wall had set up, Adams free kick was deflected past Hay to give the Dons the lead. Mr. Rowbotham then spoke to Adams for his celebration. A minute later Stewart and Hinds combined well as Hinds watched his effort crash off the post. In the 79th minute Chris Clark still had the energy to produce a 60-yard lung-busting run, but Stewart just failed to connect with his cross. Prunty replaced Mackie late in the game, but it was Hinds who almost grabbed a third in the 87th minute. The win will have pleased new boss Jimmy Calderwood who had been animated on the touchline throughout the match.

Brechin City Teamsheet: 


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Esson, Clark, Morrison, Tosh, Hart, McNaughton, Mackie (Prunty 85), Adams, Craig (Hinds 58), Sheerin, Muirhead (Stewart 55).

Unused Subs:


Referee: John Rowbotham

Related Links: