Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2004-05 fixture list
Heart of Midlothian 0 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM          
Attendance: 13,864
Venue: Tynecastle, Edinburgh
Dons match Hearts at Tynecastle
Aberdeen earned another hard fought draw as they held Hearts in the sun at Tynecastle. The home side had the better of the first half, but Aberdeen grew stronger as the game went on and were denied three strong penalty claims. With two tough matches under the belt Calderwood will be happy with the steady start. Although there were no goals the 13,864 crowd saw plenty of action and both sides must be hoping to build on a solid start to the campaign.

Hearts won the opening free kick in the second minute as Craig downed Neilson and the home side threatened briefly before Severin cleared. A minute later Hearts won the first corner of the match as the Dons were forced onto the back foot in the opening stages. As the pressure continued the home side claimed their second corner three minutes later, but referee Toner came to the rescue as he blew for an infringement as Hearts threatened. A minute later Craig needed lengthy treatment after collecting a knock.

Heikkinen had a great chance to open the scoring in the 16th minute when Hamill slipped and the Fin pounced only to be denied by a fine save from Gordon. The subsequent corner saw Anderson fire a tame header goalwards as the Dons began to ease into the match. Two minutes later a mix up between Preece and McGuire almost allowed Hearts in, but the defence managed to clear. A free kick in the 20th minute saw Hamill hit an effort well over the top as the home side continued to enjoy the bulk of the play.

At this stage Aberdeen were conceding too many free kicks and putting themselves under unnecessary pressure. In the 24th minute the game exploded when first of all Pressley appeared to trip Severin inside the box, but Toner waved play on then seconds later Pereira was lucky to stay on the park when he lashed out at Diamond off the ball. The referee ended up showing a yellow card to both players. Two minutes later Aberdeen were refused another penalty claim when Webster upended Craig inside the penalty area.

McGuire was booked in the 29th minute for a foul on Neilson and Preece had to look lively to block the free kick from Hamill. McGuire came to the rescue in the 32nd minute when he headed clear and Clark collected the ball. However as Clark took the ball forward he crumbled to the ground with what looked like a hamstring injury. Hearts didn't wait to find out what was wrong however and took advantage of the Dons misfortune and were denied by a great interception from Anderson. Adams replaced the injured Clark with 34 minutes on the clock.

A minute later Severin put the Hearts defence under pressure with a long throw, but Pressley cleared before Anderson brought down Weir to bring the game to a halt. A poor clearance by Preece in the 37th minute gave Hearts another chance, but the keeper got back in time to gather the ball. With four minutes remaining to the interval Pereira went close as he turned Tosh, strode forward and hit an effort inches over the bar from 20 yards.

Aberdeen started the second half positively and Tosh had a chance in the opening minute but he failed to connect with an Adams pass. Two minutes later Tosh was downed by Hartley, but McNaughton's delivery was woeful and the chance was gone. Preece was called into action in the 49th minute when he had to tip a Pereira header over the bar. Aberdeen broke well in the 52nd minute when Severin found Whelan who held the ball up well and released Adams. Fortunately for Hearts Gordon was quick off his line to take control.

Noel Whelan collected a yellow card in the 58th minute for his first misdemeanour in a challenge on Pressley then Anderson and Diamond almost got into a spot of bother on the hour mark and had to rely on David Preece to come and clear the danger. Two minutes later one of the assistant referees retired injured and the fourth official had to take over. The break allowed the players to take on fluids as the heat began to take its toll.

Aberdeen made a decent break in the 65th minute that was halted when Stamp upended Craig and earned himself a yellow card for his troubles. Controversy followed a minute late when the Dons were denied a penalty claim for the third time. On this occasion McNaughton dispossessed Maybury and as he looked set to fire in a cross he looked to be bundled off the ball by the recovering Hearts man and much to the disbelief of the huge Red Army play was allowed to continue. A minute later Wyness replaced Weir in the Hearts ranks.

Aberdeen had a chance in the 72nd when Whelan broke wide and Pressley had to be quick to clear as he tried to find Adams on the far side. A minute later Heikkinen and Tosh set up Craig, but the youngster hit the ball wide from a tight angle. Aberdeen were enjoying their best spell of the match and in the 77th minute Foster replaced Craig. A corner in the 80th minute was whipped in and Kisnorbo scrambled the ball clear then Pressley was forced to clear as Whelan threatened. Aberdeen were almost caught out seconds later as Hearts broke quickly and fortunately the Assistant Referee saw Pereira control the ball with his hand.

A free kick for Aberdeen in the 83rd minute saw Severin's shot blocked. McNaughton then collected the ball and his cross was met powerfully by Adams but saved brilliantly by Gordon to deny the Dons their best chance of the match. Seconds later Adams did have the ball in the net but he was clearly offside. Aberdeen had a great chance again in the 88th minute when Webster dallied on the ball and Tosh took advantage. The ball was eventually fired towards Whelan, but there was too much pace on the ball for Whelan to take advantage.

Hearts made appeals for a spot kick in the 89th minute but it would have been an injustice had anything been awarded. A Heikkinen mistake almost cost the Dons in the final minute when he lost possession to Stewart and forced Anderson to commit a foul, which he was booked for. Fortunately Stewart took the kick and fired his effort into the stand. So two tough matches and the Dons remain unbeaten and have yet to concede.

Heart of Midlothian Teamsheet:  Gordon, Neilson, Maybury, Pressley, Webster, Kisnorbo, Hartley, Stamp, Hamill, Pereira, Weir.

Unused Subs: Wyness for Weir (67), Stewart for Hamill (82)

Bookings:  Pereira (24),   Stamp (65)

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, McNaughton, McGuire, Tosh, Anderson, Diamond, Clark (Adams 34), Heikkinen, Whelan, Craig (Foster 77), Severin.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Diamond (24),  Maguire (29),  Whelan (58),  Anderson (89).

Referee: Kevin Toner

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)