Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2004-05 fixture list
Dunfermline Athletic 0 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM         Whelan 22.  
Attendance: 8,533
Venue: East End Park, Dunfermline
Whelan grabs Dons winner
Aberdeen grabbed their first goal and first win of the season at East End Park as Noel Whelan grabbed his first goal for the club. The Englishman latched on to a through ball from McGuire and moved forward and lobbed the ball over Stillie in the 22nd minute. The home side put Aberdeen under real pressure in the closing stages but Aberdeen were solid at the back again inspired by a great performance from Russell Anderson. The captain never stopped and was on hand to deny Todd in the fourth minute of injury time to collect all three points.

Dunfermline got the game underway and they were the first to show when Hunt tested Preece in the 3rd minute but the keeper matched the effort and a minute later Preece comfortably held a Brewster looping header. Aberdeen ventured forward in the 6th minute when Craig looked to be impeded as he headed towards Stillie. Nothing was given and seconds later Noel Hunt, who was causing the Dons defence problems, had the ball in the net but fortunately he was flagged offside.

McNaughton got himself forward in the 10th minute. But his delivery was poor and floated well out of play. Thomson repeated the feat for the home side a minute later as both teams looked to settle. A Severin long throw caused the Pars defence problems in the 14th minute when Darren Young had to be quick to close Whelan down. A minute later Craig made an important interception as the home side threatened. At this stage Dunfermline looked to have the bigger threat and Aberdeen had yet to threaten Stillie.

Ex-Don Darren Young was putting himself about and received several ticking offs from the referee. Up front Whelan was winning plenty of high balls but it was a ball to his feet that produced the Dons first goal of the season. Whelan grabbed his first goal for the club when McGuire released him with a wonderful through ball on the right. The striker then collected the ball and lobbed the keeper and although Stillie got a hand to the ball he couldn't prevent it entering the net.

Russell Anderson was booked in the 26th minute after Aberdeen won a free kick leaving the whole stadium mystified as to the offence. The opening goal gave the team some confidence and they started to get forward more although Brewster and Hunt were still posing some serious questions. Preece missed a Dunfermline free kick in the 29th minute and Skerla steered the ball inches wide of the target although he didn't know much about it.

A corner on the half hour mark put the home side under pressure and a couple of minutes later Severin hit a fierce shot from 20 yards that sailed just wide of the target. In 36 minutes Adams found Tosh and he in turn released Severin and as the ex-Hearts man headed for goal Dunfermline managed to get back in numbers to clear the danger. A good move two minutes later saw Adams and Whelan combine well as the Dons threatened to increase their lead. With only four minutes of the half remaining Hunt and Brewster combined at a free kick and Preece had to make a fine save.

Aberdeen immediately broke and Craig tested Stillie from distance before the game moved back to the other end and Shields went close for the home side. Dunfermline were finishing strongly and the Dons had to work hard to maintain their lead at the break. The closest the Pars came in this flurry was a Brewster header that was steered wide in the 45th minute.

Noel Whelan limped off at the end of the first half and was replaced by John Stewart for the re-start. Stewart made an immediate impact as he won a corner in the 47th minute. Dunfermline managed to clear but a minute later Craig headed wide as the Dons continued to threaten. There was then a long stoppage as the Dunfermline strike force required treatment. Both recovered after treatment and returned to the field of play.

A Tosh free kick in the 54th minute produced a corner kick for the Dons and Stillie easily collected an Adams header. A minute later Craig fired in a dangerous cross, but Stewart was unable to get on the end of the cross. Aberdeen were turning the screw at this stage and a Craig shot was blocked by Wilson and as the Dons continued to force the game was stopped for an adjudged handball. A minute later Craig and Stewart threatened again forcing Thompson to clear the ball from the line. Tosh should have done better in the 62nd minute when he was released by Adams but hit his cross too close to Stillie with Craig waiting in the middle.

A minute later Derek Young replaced Donnelly and a Pars corner saw Skerla head over as they looked to level. Derek Young hit an effort in the 67th minute, but it's not one he'll put in his scrapbook as the ball sailed well wide. Dunfermline went a lot closer a minute later when Mason steered the ball inches wide of the target. Tempers flared in the 73rd minute when Brewster and Tosh squared up and both earned a yellow card for their trouble. A minute later good build up play saw Hunt shoot wide with Preece looking beat.

The home side were pushing for an equaliser at this stage and the Dons had to work hard at set pieces as Dunfermline won a series of corners and free kicks. McNaughton was booked in the 78th minute and minutes later Preece did well to keep a Memet effort out. Seconds' later Hart replaced Adams as Calderwood tinkered with his formation. Dunfermline were totally dominating the game at this stage as the Dons worked hard to hold on to their lead. With 83 minutes on the clock Foster replaced Severin and Todd replaced Dempsey for the home side as they went for route one in an effort to take something from the game.

The Pars went close in the 87th minute when Preece punched a Darren Young free kick to the edge of the box and brother Derek hit a shot inches wide of the target. Preece was injured in the process but recovered to finish the match. Craig was then harshly booked in the final minute to increase the Dons crime count. With the 90 minutes over the fourth official held up the board to reveal an extra five minutes to be played. Deep into injury time Russell Anderson made a last ditch block to deny Todd and ensure Aberdeen took the three points back north.

Dunfermline Athletic Teamsheet:  Stillie, Shields, Wilson, Dn Young, Skerla, Thompson, Mason, Hunt, Brewster, Dempsey, Donnelly.

Unused Subs: Dk Young for Donnelly (62), Memet for Brewster (75), Todd for Dempsey (83)

Bookings:  Brewster (73)

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, McGuire, McNaughton, Severin (Foster 83), Anderson, Diamond, Tosh, Heikkinen, Adams (Hart 79), Whelan (Stewart 46), Craig.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Anderson (26),  Tosh (73),  McNaughton (78),  Craig (89).

Referee: Ian Fyfe

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)