Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2004-05 fixture list
Kilmarnock 0 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM         Fowler (OG) 54.  
Attendance: 6,686
Venue: Rugby Park, Kilmarnock
Dons continue great start
After being denied by the woodwork in the first half Aberdeen grabbed a deserved lead early in the second period. Tosh showed great skill to beat three players before firing in a low cross that was turned into the net by Killie's James Fowler. Aberdeen then appeared to play deeper as the home side looked to level. The defence was once again on top of their game despite the loss of Zander Diamond and held out comfortably to secure another win and set themselves up for the visit of Rangers in midweek.

The Dons reverted back to a 4-4-2 formation as the match kicked off at a breezy Rugby Park. The Dons almost grabbed a sensational lead in the 3rd minute when Craig pounced on a weak shot from McNaughton and steered it on to the Kilmarnock post with the home defence static. Aberdeen then took control of the opening stages putting the Killie defence under pressure with some fine passing play. Woodwork denied the Dons once again in the 9th minute when Foster was released and forced a fine save from Combe as the keeper turned the ball on to the post.

A minute later the home defence was carved open once more but the pass from Anderson was just a shade too heavy for Craig to collect. The Dons were dominating play at this stage and Combe was forced to cut out a Foster cut back in the 12th minute as the Dons looked for the elusive opener. A minute later Killie carved out their first chance and Invincible sliced his effort well wide of the target before Anderson made a timely tackle on McDonald seconds later to deny the home side an opening. To add to the testing conditions the heavens opened and the Dons fans at the front of the stand scurried for cover.

Kilmarnock had settled now after their nervous start but they were finding Anderson in fine form. Aberdeen should have broken the deadlock in the 19th minute when Adams went one-on-one with Combe only to be denied the keepers leg. Preece made his first stop in the 28th minute when he was forced to punch clear after good build up play by the home side. On the half hour mark Killie won the first corner of the match but Craig cleared and as Aberdeen broke in numbers the referee unbelievably halted play, as a Locke lay injured in the penalty area. To be fair Locke failed to recover and left the field on a stretcher.

A quick break in the 36th minute saw Foster deliver a telling cross but he was unable to find a teammate to finish. With four minutes remaining Mackie broke and was totally taken out of the play by Lilley only for Mr. Richmond to wave play on. Two minutes later Tosh hit a decent shot that was deflected into the side netting to keep the match level. The Dons finished the half well but neither side managed to carve out any further chances.

Aberdeen made a positive start to the second half and Combe was called into action in the 47th minute as Mackie had a turn and shot which the keeper held well. McNaughton was having a fine match and he released Mackie a couple of minutes later and the forward was fouled on the edge of the box. Combe was out again to grab the Adams free kick and halt the Dons attack. It was then the turn of David Preece to impress when Boyd flicked the ball on to Invincible in the 52nd minute and Preece was out quickly to block the effort. Aberdeen then grabbed a deserved lead in the 54th minute when Tosh beat three defenders and fired in a powerful cross, which was turned into the net by the unfortunate Fowler.

Kilmarnock went close in the 59th minute before Preece gathered and two minutes later Boyd had a decent curling effort that went over the bar. Aberdeen were starting to sit in and get pushed back as the home side pushed to level. A couple of corners came to nothing but the red army were looking to get the team further forward. The match started to get scrappy with neither team able to keep the game flowing. Jim Jeffries went for broke in the 74th minute as he took on striker Dargo for defender Fowler and four minutes later Boyd picked up a knock and was replaced by Wales.

Then in the 80th minute Foster then conceded a dangerous free kick a yard outside the box when he brought down Invincible. The delivery was poor and as Aberdeen threatened to break the referee blew for a foul against Tosh much to the disgust of the 1600 Dons fans in the crowd. Adams collected the first yellow card of the match two minutes later after he was penalised for kicking the ball away. In the 83rd minute the Dons broke out of defence and forced a corner, which resulted in Combe scrambling a Severin effort round the post. Mackie had a chance in the 85th minute but he was steered clear of the danger area. Muirhead then replaced Craig as the Dons looked to consolidate.

Preece nearly caused a few flutters when he tried to control the ball on his chest and almost steered it into the path of Dargo. Fortunately he recovered to secure the ball. A good run by Hart produced another great run and appeared to be fouled by Dindeleux but nothing was given and the ball broke to Severin and his effort was screwed wide. Referee Richmond then found an amazing three minutes of injury time despite the fact there had been few stoppages in the second half. The Dons held the ball for the injury period to record another great win.

Kilmarnock Teamsheet:  Combe, Fowler, Lilley, Dindeleux, Dillon, Invincible, Johnston, Locke, Dodds, McDonald, Boyd.

Unused Subs: Murray for Locke (32), Dargo for Fowler (74), Wales for Boyd (78)


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, Hart, McNaughton, Severin, Anderson, McGuire, Foster, Tosh, Craig (Muirhead 85), Mackie, Adams.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Adams.

Referee: Charlie Richmond, Auchinleck

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)