Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2004-05 fixture list
Aberdeen 2 - 1 Motherwell
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Adams 68, Severin 89.       McBride (29)  
Attendance: 10,737 (Visitors: 360)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Severin hits late winner for Dons
Aberdeen fought back for a deserved victory this afternoon after falling behind to a controversial first half penalty. McNaughton was adjudged to have brought down McBride and the striker slotted home the kick to leave the Dons trailing despite playing some excellent football. Adams pulled the Dons level in the 68th minute as he headed a Mackie cross out of the reach of Marshall. With a minute remaining Scott Severin grabbed his first goal for the Dons as he drilled the winner past a despairing Marshall and capped his man of the match sponsors award in style.

Motherwell kicked off but it was Aberdeen who carved out the first chance when Marshall fumbled a cross in the fourth minute. The ball was half cleared and Chris Clark hit a fierce shot from 15 yards that scraped the bar with the keeper well beaten. A tame free kick from the visitors three minutes later was easily dealt with by Preece but in the 8th minute McDonald headed inches wide although he had already been flagged offside. McDonald had another attempt in the 11th minute but sent the ball high into the Richard Donald Stand.

Aberdeen should have taken the lead in the 14th minute after good passing play between Severin and Tosh. Tosh found Mackie in the middle and the striker lifted the ball over Marshall and was unlucky to see his effort come off the bar and rebound to safety. Motherwell won the first corner of the match and after some head tennis and a muted penalty appeal the ball was cleared to Mackie. Before he could create anything play was stopped because of a head knock to Michael Hart. Markus Heikkinen went on a maisy in the 19th minute and was deep into the Motherwell penalty area before being crowded out.

Aberdeen were guilty at times of dithering in defence and they almost allowed the visitors a glimpse of goal in the 22nd minute before Anderson stepped in to clear the danger. Mackie should have done better in the 25th minute when once again Tosh was the provider after more good build up play. Unfortunately the striker ballooned his shot well over from inside the box. Tosh again made a telling delivery two minutes later but Clark was taken by surprise as the ball deflected off Heikkinen and the winger could only steer the ball wide. Motherwell then grabbed a controversial lead in the 29th minute.

With little threat McNaughton went to clear the ball when McBride appeared to throw himself in front of the defender and fall to the ground. To the stunned amazement of everyone in Pittodrie Mr. Richmond pointed to the spot and McBride drilled the ball past Preece to give the visitors an undeserved lead. Aberdeen went close again in the 37th minute when Heikkinen collected the ball near the bye line and looped a cross into the box that was scrambled clear at the far post. A minute later Chris Clark went on a direct run and hit a low drive that was turned round the post by Marshall. Seconds later Adams hit an effort wide as the Dons looked for an equaliser before the break.

With four minutes of the half remaining there were loud appeals for a spot kick when Adams appeared to be nudged inside the penalty area. The appeal looked as soft as the award given at the other end and referee Richmond was unimpressed as play raged on. Aberdeen were feeling a sense of injustice in a game that had seen them produce some great football.

Motherwell won a corner in the opening minute of the half but the Dons cleared the danger and released Mackie only for his progress to be cynically halted. The visitors were making the better start and a second corner was headed over in the 49th minute. A minute later Mackie should have levelled but managed to scoop a Clark cross over the bar when it looked easier to score. Noel Whelan replaced McGuire in the 54th minute with Heikkinen dropping into defence and Adams moving into a deeper role. In the 58th minute Adams sent over a dangerous cross and Tosh just failed to connect.

Motherwell's main threat came from set plays however on the hour mark a mistake from Anderson almost allowed Leitch in, but McNaughton tidied up. Controversy raged again in the 63rd minute when Aberdeen were awarded a free kick 25 yards out. The wall was placed about eight yards away by referee Richmond and when out of desperation Anderson counted out the correct yardage he was booked for his troubles. A minute later Clark was scythed down on the edge of the box and no card was issued for the foul. The Dons finally levelled in the 68th minute through a delightful header from Adams after meeting a Mackie cross.

Motherwell went close two minutes later when Partridge headed straight at Preece allowing the keeper to save easily. Keeper Marshall touched the ball outside his penalty area in the 75th minute and Adams was inches away from adding a second when he hit a low shot wide. A double save from Marshall in the 76th minute denied the Dons a deserved lead. He first parried a Severin cross then kicked clear as Mackie looked set to pounce. Aberdeen were now pounding the Motherwell defence and Mackie headed over in the 80th minute before being replaced by John Stewart.

A great run by Stewart in the 84th minute ended with the youngster pulling his shot wide of the target after outrunning three defenders. The visitors then forced a series of corners but the Dons defence held firm and went on to grab the winner in the 89th minute. Chris Clark released Adams and the striker was denied by a fine save from Marshall. There was little the keeper could do seconds later however when the ball fell to Severin and he drilled his effort into the corner to give Aberdeen a deserved three points.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, Hart, McNaughton, Heikkinen, Anderson, McGuire (Whelan 54), Tosh, Severin, Mackie (Stewart 80), Adams, Clark.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Anderson.

Motherwell Teamsheet:  Marshall, Corrigan, Hammell, Craigan, McDonald, Leitch, Foran, O'Donnell, Clarkson, Partridge, McBride.

Unused Subs: Paterson for McBride (54), Fagan for Foran (70), Burns for McDonald (80)


Referee: Charlie Richmond, Auchinleck

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)