Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2004-05 fixture list
Aberdeen 2 - 1 Dunfermline Athletic
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Tod (OG) 34, Mackie 50.       Donnolley (71)  
Attendance: 10,398 (Visitors: 337)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Dons hang on for the points
Aberdeen collected all three points at Pittodrie to bring to an end their short losing streak. After a poor first half that saw the Dons take the lead through a 34th minute own goal the second half improved considerably. Aberdeen looked to be cruising to victory when Mackie added a well taken second five minutes after the interval, but a controversial Donnelly goal in the 71st minute lead to a nervous finish with both sides having chances to add goals. Aberdeen were happy enough to hear the final whistle and now move back into the third spot they vacated last week.

Dunfermline kicked off towards the RDS with Chris Clark slotted in at right back and Morrison on the left. Aberdeen carved out the first half chance in the third minute with a long range effort from Morrison that slipped wide with Whelan inches from converting the path of the ball goal wards. Four minutes later Adams set up Whelan but the striker failed to get any power in the shot and Stillie gathered easily. Barry Nicholson had a long-range effort on goal in the 10th minute but he sliced the ball well wide of the target. The visitors began to enjoy a spell of pressure and Adams was booked in the 15th minute as he felled Labonte. The resultant free kick saw Nicholson hit an effort that went close to hitting the corner flag.

Aberdeen should have taken the lead three minutes later when Whelan went on a solo run beating three players before firing in a shot that was well blocked by Stillie. Whelan got his toe to the rebound but could only steer the ball wide of the post. The visitors threatened again in the 23rd minute when Scott Wilson headed a free kick over from close range. The Dons went close again in the 28th minute as Tosh got the break of the ball inside the box, cut inside and drilled a low shot that was well held by Stillie.

Stillie then kept the visitors level on the half hour mark when good build up play by Heikkinen and Tosh set up Derek Adams. The ex Motherwell man hit a decent effort across Stillie and the keeper managed to get a hand on the ball and steer it wide. In the 34th minute Scott Wilson felled Mackie in a similar situation that led to Derek Adams booking. Despite Wilson's obvious dissent Mr. Smith failed to produce a second yellow of the day. Aberdeen had the last laugh however as they grabbed the opener from the resulting set play. Morrison delivered a testing ball and the unfortunate Andrew Tod headed the ball past his own keeper despite Diamond's attempts to claim the strike.

Morrison almost set up a second goal two minutes later when he picked out Noel Whelan on the right with a well-executed cross field pass. The Englishman hit it on the volley first time and wasn't that far away with his attempt. Preece easily gathered a Mehmet effort in the 42nd minute then a minute later the Pars won a free kick wide left that was scrambled clear. Referee Smith even got in on the act blocking an Anderson clearance as the visitors pressed for an equaliser. The Dons held out and probably just about deserved their interval lead but would be looking to up the work rate after the interval.

Play was scrappy in the early stages of the second half with no one able to put their foot on the ball. Aberdeen extended their lead in the 50th minute however when a long ball out of defence was nodded into the path of Whelan by the unfortunate Tod. Whelan did well on the left and rolled the ball into the path of Mackie. The striker turned Wilson and curled the ball beyond Stillie for a well-executed strike. Five minutes later a Stillie clearance crashed off of Tod and fortunately for the Pars screwed wide for a corner. Aberdeen were well in command now and Morrison drilled a left foot shot inches wide after good play from Diamond.

Whelan tried to lob Stillie in the 64th minute when he spotted the keeper off his line. To his credit the ex-Don managed to get back and save. The game exploded in the 67th minute when Morrison was penalised for going for a ball that he had every right to go for. Donnelly, who had trapped the ball under his legs took offence and hit out at the full back. After the stramash both players were booked. Worse was to follow as Dunfermline pulled a goal back in controversial circumstances. The ball was played into the Aberdeen box and with Nicholson holding down Tosh, Donnelly fired the ball past Preece. Despite the protests the goal was awarded.

Donnelly almost added a second a minute later before Calderwood introduced Foster and McGuire in place of Tosh and the tiring Heikkinen. Foster almost grabbed a sensational third in the78th minute when he hit a 25-yard screamer that was tipped over the bar by Stillie. Stewart replaced Whelan in the 81st minute and received a deserved round of applause. Aberdeen were unlucky not to finish off the visitors in the 83rd minute when Chris Clark beat Stillie with a low shot that came crashing off the base of the post. Two minutes later Aberdeen had Preece to thank when he dived low to turn a Mason volley round the post.

From the corner Chris Clark broke at pace and found Scott Severin in the box. The midfielder did everything right but then fired wide when it looked easier to score. Preece was again the hero in the 87th minute as he saved a close range effort from Mason. Dunfermline continued to try and force an equaliser but the Dons held on to collect all three points.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, Morrison, Clark, Severin, Anderson, Diamond, Tosh (Foster 75), Heikkinen (McGuire 75), Mackie, Whelan (Stewart 81), Adams.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Adams (15),  Morrison (67),  Diamond (84).

Dunfermline Athletic Teamsheet:  Stillie, Wilson, Thomson, Nicholson, Mason, Donnelly, Byrne, Butler, Tod, Labonte, Mehmet.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Nicholson (59),   Donnelly (67)

Referee: Eddie Smith, Hamilton

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)