Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2004-05 fixture list
Aberdeen 1 - 0 Dundee United
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Tosh 26.        
Attendance: 12,038 (Visitors: 607)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Fathers Day at Pittodrie as Tosh strike seals win
Steve Tosh was the hero of the day at Pittodrie as he celebrated fatherhood with a winning goal against United. Tosh became a father this morning then turned out in the afternoon to fire the Dons to a third successive SPL win. The game was played in torrential rain and a disappointing first half was lifted by Tosh's strike. The second half offered a lot more entertainment as the visitors tried desperately to spoil the party. Aberdeen held firm at the back then squandered a few late chances but held on to collect all three points.

United got the game underway in torrential rain but it was the home side who made the early running with several dangerous raids on the visitors goal. However conditions were tricky and Preece fumbled an easy cross in the sixth minute and some of the players were struggling to keep their footing. Both Mackie and Foster found good positions inside the United box, but neither managed to produce a finish and were closed down. United won the first corner in the 13th minute and seconds later Preece had to produce a save as a McCracken shot skidded off the ground towards him. In the 15th minute Hugh Dallas had a word with Ian McCall and seconds later Wilson had a free header that Preece managed to save in the first clear-cut chance of the match.

United were now looking stronger as the Dons passes started to go astray and any crosses that were delivered into the box were easily gathered by Jarvie in the United goal. Good play in the 22nd minute saw Whelan hold up the ball and release Foster on the left. His cross found Mackie in the middle but a fresh air shot ensured that the danger was quickly cleared. A minute later Whelan turned and fired the ball over but the referee had already whistled for handball. The Dons then grabbed the lead in the 26th minute with a well-worked goal involving Foster and Tosh. Tosh collected a Mackie pass, played a one-two with Foster and finished the move off with a sweet shot placed beyond Jarvie. The goal was a unique way to celebrate the birth of his son earlier today.

United came back strongly but found the Dons defence in mean mood while at the other end a Mackie cross went begging and a Whelan header was misplaced as the Dons tried to press home their advantage. Heikkinen played a clever one-two with Mackie in the 36th minute but scooped his finish over the bar. Aberdeen then broke quickly a minute later and after a clever dummy from Mackie the forward was clearly held back but he failed to get the decision and the visitors cleared. Foster tried from distance in the 40th minute but he failed to find the target and neither side managed to add to the scoring before the interval.

Aberdeen almost lost a crazy goal in the 47th minute following a poor throw out from Preece. The ball was returned into the danger area and Morrison was forced to block a Grady header. Preece was then forced into a fine save from McInnes in the 49th minute as United looked for an equaliser. A minute later McNaughton took an elbow in the face but United were allowed to continued and once again had to rely on Preece. The Dons won a free kick in the 52nd minute when Mackie was fouled but Morrison's delivery was cleared and two minutes later Barry Robson was booked for a rather cumbersome dive in the box.

The game had now burst into life and only a well-timed tackle on Mackie denied the Dons an equaliser. United were looking a more useful outfit since the break leaving the Dons defence to soak up a fair amount of pressure. Archibald was lucky to escape a booking on the hour mark after upending Tosh then three minutes later Craig replaced the goal hero. The Dons were almost caught out with a long ball in the 68th minute as it took an awkward bounce off of Diamond. Fortunately the youngster recovered to clear and a minute later Whelan tried a delicate chip that missed the target. Diamond picked up a knock in the 74th minute as he made a desperate last minute clearance but resumed after some treatment.

Adams then replaced Whelan in the 76th minute with the game on a knife-edge. United went close to equalising in the 79th minute when substitute Scotland hit the bye line but fortunately his cut back went behind his team mates. Both sides were determined to keep going forward and a weak Adams effort in the 85th and a close range miss by Craig in the 89th minute could have wrapped up the points for the Dons. However the Dons held out to make it three wins in a row and now look forward to the visit of Kilmarnock next week before a crunch match at Easter Road.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, McNaughton, Morrison, Severin, McGuire, Diamond, Tosh (Craig 63), Heikkinen, Mackie, Whelan (Adams 76), Foster.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Whelan (65),  Adams (87),  Foster (90).

Dundee United Teamsheet:  Jarvie, McCracken, Wilson, McInnes, Archibald, Brebner, McIntyre, Robson, Duff, Grady, Ritchie.

Unused Subs: Kerkar for Robson (63), Scotland for Grady (73)Samuel for Wilson (85).

Bookings:  Robson (54)

Referee: Hugh Dallas, Motherwell

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)