Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2004-05 fixture list
Aberdeen 3 - 2 Kilmarnock
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Pasquinelli 9, Pasquinelli 31, Clark 72.       Invincible (7), Leven (18)  
Attendance: 11,139 (Visitors: 197)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Dons fight back to sink Killie
Aberdeen came from behind to make it four wins in a row in a classic five-goal thriller at Pittodrie. The Dons twice fell behind but showed great character to come back with two goals from Pasquinelli and a second half winner from Chris Clark. The Dons finished on top and when Nish was red carded late on it assured the three points and sets up interesting encounter at Easter Road next week having opened up a seven point gap.

Aberdeen kicked off and carved out the first chance in the opening minute when Mackie latched on to a poor defensive header. However the game was halted for the challenge on Combe. The match then burst into life in the 7th minute when the visitors grabbed the lead. Johnston delivered a cross into the area and Invincible nipped in front of McGuire to steer the ball beyond Preece. Aberdeen hit back immediately when Pasquinelli levelled two minutes later. A long throw from Severin was half cleared and Tosh returned the ball into the danger area where he found Pasquinelli at the far post. Despite getting a hand to the ball Combe couldn?t prevent it from crossing the line.

Aberdeen almost grabbed the lead three minutes later after a great spell of football involving Tosh, Mackie and McGuire. The move ended with McGuire playing a one-two with Mackie and crashing a curling left foot shot off the bar with Combe well beaten. It was the visitors who regained the lead in the 18th minute when Anderson tripped Nish 20 yards out. Leven stepped up and hit an unstoppable free kick past Preece. The Dons tried to hit back again and Severin had a shot from distance in the 20th minute but it failed to test Combe before Kilmarnock threatened to extend their lead as the Dons struggled to clear their lines. Chris Clark was then felled on the edge of the box, but failed to be awarded the free kick allowing the visitors to break. This move was halted when a foul by Nish earned him the first yellow card of the match.

Diamond then went close in the 26th minute when he headed inches wide as the game surged from end to end. The Dons had a narrow escape on the half hour mark when the ball was scooped from the line following a Kilmarnock corner. The Dons then capitalised on an error by Combe a minute later. The keeper attempted to clear the ball and hit Pasquinelli allowing the striker to race in and stroke the ball into the net. Two minutes later Severin hit a fierce shot that Combe did well to hold. Pasquinelli showed he is more than just a goal scorer with an exquisite back heel in the 40th minute that released Tosh. Unfortunately the return pass found the Argentinean offside. The Dons finished the half on top but failed to add to the scoring.

Aberdeen started the second half positively and a deep cross from McNaughton caused problems in the 47th minute. Mackie failed to make the most of the chance and the ball fell to Clark, but his cut back was scrambled clear. The game continued to rage from end to end and Aberdeen went close again in the 55th minute when a neat lay off by Pasquinelli eventually found Heikkinen and he drilled the ball wide. Two minutes later Preece had to claw a cross over the bar as the visitors threatened. Aberdeen threatened again in the 58th minute when Mackie set up Clark. The winger's shot was blocked and seconds later Diamond made a crucial interception to deny Kilmarnock.

Scott Severin was booked in the 63rd minute for a late challenge giving Leven a chance to repeat his free kick trick from the first half. Fortunately he floated this effort over the bar. A minute later Hart and Foster replaced McGuire and Tosh. Johnston was booked in the 67th minute for a late challenge on Severin and the resulting free kick was scrambled clear for a corner. The Dons were now increasing the pressure and with Combe looking increasingly uncomfortable in goal the breakthrough looked inevitable. It came in the 72nd minute after incessant pressure. The ball broke to Clark on the lift and he drilled the ball past Combe. A Hart slip almost allowed Invincible in a minute later but Preece was down smartly to save.

Kilmarnock were reduced to ten men in the 79th minute when Nish elbowed Zander Diamond and received his second yellow card. Diamond needed lengthy treatment before returning to the field. Mackie should have sewn up the match in the 84th minute when he was released by Severin. After doing the difficult bit he crashed his shot off the bar then turned the rebound round the post. A Severin header was then well saved by Combe in the 88th minute before a late flurry from the visitors was scrambled clear. Pasquinelli was given a huge cheer when Stewart replaced him in the 90th minute. Stewart almost made a name for himself in the closing seconds when he ran the length of the pitch only to fire his shot straight at Combe.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, McGuire (Hart 64), McNaughton, Severin, Anderson, Diamond, Tosh (Foster 64), Heikkinen, Mackie, Pasquinelli (Stewart 90), Clark.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Severin (63).

Kilmarnock Teamsheet:  Combe, Lilley, Greer, Dindeleux, MacDonald, Boyd, Invincible, Johnston, Nish, Ford, Leven.

Unused Subs: Naismith for Boyd (78), Wales for Johnston (80)

Bookings:  Nish (23),   Johnston (67),   Lilley (74)   Nish (79)

Referee: Kenny Clark, Paisley

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)