Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2004-05 fixture list
League Cup Second Round 
Aberdeen 3 - 0 Berwick Rangers
Kick Off:  7:45 PM   Diamond 7, Adams 36, Craig 47.        
Attendance: 4,549
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Dons ease past wee gers
Aberdeen eased into the third round of the CIS cup but could have scored more than the three goals on the night. Diamond opened the scoring as early as the seventh minute but it took a spectacular Adams strike late in the first half to penetrate the Berwick defence again. A goal two minutes after the interval by man of the match Craig Adams put the Dons on easy street, but despite a handful of chances and two shots off the woodwork they were unable to add to the tally.

Aberdeen started well and had the Berwick players chasing shadows in the early stages, but it was the visitors who won the first corner after three minutes. The set play produced a fierce shot from Darren Smith that sailed about a foot over the bar. The Dons responded with a corner in the sixth minute won after a probing run from McNaughton. A second corner followed swiftly and from Morrison's delivery Diamond headed past O'Connor to claim the opening goal. Berwick carved out a chance in the 10th minute when Martin found himself clear. The Berwick man delayed too long allowing Aberdeen to get back in numbers and steer him clear of the danger area.

The goal hadn't really settled the home side and this period of play was littered with errors. A good move from Aberdeen in the 17th minute saw Hart find McNaughton with a 40-yard pass. Unfortunately the Dundonian was unable to steer his header on target. Three minutes later another good passing move ended when Heikkinen dropped the final pass too far ahead of his forwards. Craig should have added a second in the 24th minute when he timed his run well to latch on to a long pass from Diamond. Unfortunately his finish didn't match the build up play and with only the keeper to beat he blazed the ball over the bar.

The pressure was building on the visitors now and somehow they survived a goalmouth scramble in the 26th minute when McNaughton was denied by the keepers legs and then Craig's effort was blocked by a defender after Adams had carved opened the defence. Craig's pace was causing the visitors real problems, but a combination of poor finishing and brave defending kept the scoring down. Heikkinen had a rare chance to get his name on the score sheet in the 32nd minute when he was presented with a free header from a Morrison corner but steered the ball wide of the target.

Aberdeen finally grabbed a second goal and it was a spectacular effort. Derek Adams collected the ball, cut inside and unleashed an unstoppable shot past the helpless O'Connor. Berwick went close to pulling one back two minutes before the interval when Smith tested Preece with a low drive. Preece was in action again in the final minute as he clutched the ball out of the air from a Forrest free kick.

Aberdeen started the second half well and O'Connor had to look lively in the opening minute to cut out a cross. He could do little a minute later when Steven Craig made it 3-0 as he headed home a Tosh cross from close range. Only the woodwork denied Aberdeen a fourth in the 53rd minute when Craig crashed his effort off the upright and the follow up was drilled wide. Four minutes later Anderson was caught out when he was turned by Little. Fortunately Michael Hart got back to ensure the Dons defensive record stayed intact.

Tosh set up Derek Adams a minute later, but the striker fired well over and seconds later Adams pulled the keeper out of position but failed to lift the ball over him. There were muted appeals for a spot kick in the 63rd minute when Adams claimed to be pushed as he went for a Tosh cross. Referee Ritchie pointed to the corner flag and only Adams himself continued the appeal. A minute later Berwick made a double substitution and the borders side continued to try and press for a consolation.

Forrest went close for the visitors in the 69th minute when he headed over from six yards and two minutes later Tosh hit a decent half volley that the keeper saved well. Stewart and McGuire were introduced five minutes later for Craig and McNaughton. Then in the 77th minute the woodwork denied the Dons again. This time it was a spectacular Morrison free kick that crashed off the inside of the post with O'Connor well beaten. Morrison should have added a fourth in the 84th minute after great play by Stewart. Unfortunately he hit his effort straight at the keeper and a minute later Berwick scrambled the ball away amidst a goalmouth scramble. Despite the pressure the Dons were unable to add to their tally, but once again kept a clean sheet.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, Hart, Morrison, McNaughton (McGuire 74), Anderson, Diamond, Tosh (Tiernan 81), Heikkinen, Craig (Stewart 74), Adams, Severin.

Unused Subs:


Berwick Rangers Teamsheet:  O'Connor, Murie, Seaton, Cowan, Horn, Connell, Forrest, Martin, Hutchison, Little, Smith


Referee: Mike Ritchie, Aberdeen

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)