Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2004-05 fixture list
League Cup Third Round 
Aberdeen 0 - 2 Rangers
Kick Off:  7:45 PM         Ricksen (45), Thompson (89)  
Attendance: 14,876 (Visitors: 2,708)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Lack of Fire Power costs Dons
The lack of fire power up front cost the Dons tonight as they dominated the match but ended up on the wrong side of a 2-0 score line. Rangers grabbed the lead against the run of play a minute before the interval. Aberdeen created chance after chance in the second half but were unable to convert any. With the Dons desperately looking for an equaliser Rangers grabbed a second in the 89th minute to secure the win. To their credit Aberdeen continued to press to the end and in injury time Bob Malcolm was dismissed for his second yellow card offence.

Aberdeen kicked off and almost made a sensational start within two minutes. Moore was short with a pass to Boumsong and Mackie pounced only to be denied by Klos at the edge of the box. A minute later there were half-hearted claims for a spot kick as McNaughton tumbled in the box but the award would have been soft. The positive start continued, as Foster broke on the left in the 5th minute but couldn't quite cut his cross back into the danger area. Two minutes later Mackie won the first corner of the match, but the Rangers defence cleared easily.

The Dons were playing the better football at this stage with Rangers looking nervous and hesitant. Rangers started to settle and won their first corner of the match in the 14th minute. The danger was cleared and a minute later Rangers threatened again from a free kick on the right, but once again the keeper wasn't tested. Thompson went close in the 16th minute when he turned Russell Anderson and hit a low drive inches past the upright. Vanoli then tried from distance but his effort was well off target as Rangers began to take control.

In the 18th minute Craig released Tosh on the right and Foster had a poor header back across goal. As the ball was cleared Craig pounced and bulleted a shot wide of the target. Craig went closer in the 23rd minute when he collected a Foster pass and attempted to chip Klos with a left foot effort. Minutes later Mackie picked up a head knock and it took the appeals of Khizanishvili to halt the game for treatment. A deep free kick in the 26th minute caused a slight panic at the back as Preece had to be smartly down to prevent a Severin own goal.

Craig went on another lung bursting run on the half hour mark and steered the ball wide of the goal with Mackie in support. Aberdeen suffered a blow in the 44th minute when Steven Craig limped off and was replaced by Muirhead. Worse was to follow a minute later when Kenny Clark adjudged that Phil McGuire had pushed Arveladze 22 yards out. Once the protests had died down Ricksen fired the ball high into the net to give the visitors a lead they barely deserved.

Chris Burke caused problems in the opening minutes and his trickery provided a chance before the ball was scrambled clear. In the fourth minute Severin appeared to be taken out of play as he rose to meet a Tosh cross inside the box. Mr Clark was uninterested and play raged on. Four minutes later Adams managed to get a foot to a McNaughton delivery but was unable to steer the ball past Klos. Rangers had upped the tempo now and threatened with a couple of corners. Aberdeen went closest with their own corner on the hour mark. Severin bulleted Adams delivery goal wards only to be denied by an instinctive block by Klos.

Foster earned the first yellow card of the match for a bad challenge on Khizanishvili in the 63rd minute. Aberdeen should have levelled three minutes later when Tosh won the ball and delivered a great cross that Muirhead latched on to. With Mackie waiting for the cut back Muirhead went for goal and steered the ball wide of the target. Adams was then booked for a challenge in the 68th minute and McNaughton two minutes later as the Dons battled to get level. Severin suffered another assault inside the box as he rose to challenge in the 72nd minute but once more play continued.

Aberdeen were getting closer but couldn't find the net. In the 74th minute it was Adams that tried to chip Klos but the ball sailed inches over the bar with the keeper beaten. Two minutes later a Hart cross caused all sorts of problems but once again no one could turn the ball into the net. Ricksen almost made it two in the 79th minute from another free kick. Preece fumbled the effort (his first save of the half) but was bravely down to gather the loose ball. A minute later Muirhead had a glimpse of goal but wanted too much time and the ball was scrambled clear. Another chance went begging in the 82nd minute when a terrific run from Foster saw the youngster produce a telling cross that only required the faintest of touches to turn it into the net. Unfortunately the Dons strikers were unable to connect.

Muirhead went a lot closer in the 87th minute when he fired a low shot inches wide of the post with Klos scrambling across his goal. The victory was assured in the 89th minute when Thompson grabbed a late second to send Rangers through to the next round. Adams had a chance for a consolation a minute later but didn't get any power behind his shot. The Dons kept attacking to the final whistle but it wasn't to be their night. Deep into injury time Bob Malcolm was dismissed for a second yellow card offence.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, Hart, McNaughton, Severin, Anderson, McGuire, Foster, Tosh, Craig (Muirhead 44), Mackie, Adams.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Foster (63),  Adams (68),  McNaughton (70).

Rangers Teamsheet:  Klos, Ricksen, Moore, Boumsong, Arveladze, Malcolm, Khizanishvili, Vanoli, Vignal, Burke, Thompson.

Unused Subs: Novo for Arveladze (88)

Bookings:  Malcolm (71),   Malcolm (90)   Malcolm (90)

Referee: Kenny Clark, Paisley

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)