Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2005-06 fixture list
Livingston 0 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM          
Attendance: 3,724
Venue: Almondvale Stadium, Livingston
Dons continue to shoot blanks in festive flop
Aberdeen failed to fill the fans with any festive cheer against Livingston this afternoon as they produced their second consecutive 0-0 draw. The first half was dire and though the second half improved slightly Aberdeen never looked like scoring at any point in the match. Livingston carved out the better chances and a corner in injury time was almost turned into the Aberdeen net. The Dons now travel to Motherwell on Boxing Day before hosting Inverness on Hogmany and they really need to improve on this display.

Unlike the northeast, Livingston was free of snow as the home side kicked off to the beat of the Livi drum. Livi took the game to Aberdeen in the opening minutes without threatening the Dons goal. Crawford managed to venture into the home box in the 7th minute but couldn't pick out Mackie before Smith capitalised on a mistake two minutes later and tested McKenzie with a 25 yard drive that the keeper held well. The Dons then won a free kick in the 14th minute but Nicholson slipped as he went to deliver and the ball went sailing high over the bar to the derision of the home crowd.

The game then fell into a lull as both teams struggled to carve out scoring chances with a Snodgrass shot that was saved by Langfield in the 23rd minute and a Dalglish effort a minute later being the closest to breaking the deadlock. A Dons free kick in the 27th minute came to nothing as Anderson was penalised for his challenge then a similar chance six minutes later was easily cleared by the home defence. Livingston won the first corner of the match in the 37th minute but the Dons defence cleared then a minute later Byrne was almost punished for an error when Dalglish collected a poor clearance and fired wide.

Zander Diamond replaced Andrew Considine at the interval and Aberdeen looked more positive in the opening minutes with Smith delivering a dangerous free kick in the 48th minute that produced hopeful appeals from the red army for a handball claim. Snodgrass then threatened two minutes later but was eventually crowded out by red shirts. Aberdeen then created a great chance in the 51st minute when Foster headed a Crawford cross back across the face of the goal. The ball eventually fell to McNaughton but he fired his effort well over. Five minutes later Nicholson was forced to concede a corner but once again the Dons cleared the threat.

In the 58th minute Crawford had a golden chance but failed to get power behind his shot and McKenzie collected comfortably. Then on the hour mark Anderson collected a yellow card for a hefty challenge on Barrett and two minutes later Nicholson had to scramble the ball clear as a Snodgrass cross caused problems at the back. A spill by Langfield in the 63rd almost caused problems and a potential penalty claim but fortunately the ball was scrambled clear and no award was made. Stewart then replaced Mackie seconds later. Clark followed Anderson into the book in the 68th minute as Aberdeen continued to be forced on to the back foot.

Good build up play in the 71st minute ended with Foster ballooning the ball high over the bar then a minute later a Smith free kick was fired straight at the wall. The Dons then won their first corner in the 73rd minute but Diamond was penalised for leaning on the defender. A couple of corners for the Dons in the 77th minute failed to produce goal-scoring opportunities as the visitors started to come more into the game. With eleven minutes remaining Muirhead replaced Crawford but it was Livi who almost took the lead in the 85th minute. A cross was played into the Aberdeen area and fortunately Snodgrass failed to anticipate the fresh air clearance from Diamond.

A minute later a Livi corner was headed on to the bar by an Aberdeen player then Langfield was forced into a save from Vincze. The Dons afternoon was summed up by Langfields' quick clearance as it bounced of the back of Stewart preventing any quick break. The biggest excitement occurred in the 90th minute when a fight started between Scott and Diamond earning both a yellow card. A corner deep in injury time caused problems for the Dons as a header slipped past the post with McKay trying to stretch to turn the ball into the net. Fortunately he missed and the Dons held on to a point.

Match Stats:

Livi Dons
Goal Attempts 9 2
On Target 5 1
Corners 5 4
Possession 55% 45%

Livingston Teamsheet:  McKenzie, Mackay, Strong, Pinxten, Tierney, Brittain, Vincze, Lambert, Dair, Snodgrass, Dalglish.

Unused Subs: Barrett for Lambert (51), Scott for Dair (76), McPake for Dalglish (82)

Bookings:  Scott (90)

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Byrne, McNaughton, Clark, Anderson, Considine (Diamond 46), Nicholson, Smith, Mackie (Stewart 63), Crawford (Muirhead 79), Foster.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Anderson (60),  Clark (68),  Diamond (90).

Referee: Dougie McDonald, Edinburgh

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)