Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2005-06 fixture list
Hibernian 1 - 2 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Whittaker (90)       Crawford 4, Mackie 14.  
Attendance: 14,572
Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh
Dons back to winning ways in SPL
The Dons maybe hadn't had the rub of the green this season, but they more than made up for that today at Easter Road. They were gifted two goals in the opening fourteen minutes in a solid first half performance. The home side came storming back after the break but were denied by some solid defending by the Dons. In the 70th minute Hibs were thrown a lifeline when Nicholson tripped Riordan in the box. The Hibs striker, who missed a spot kick against the Dons last season, hammered his effort against the post to sum up the home sides day. Hibs got a consolation in injury time before Muirhead was red carded after collecting two yellows in the space of a minute.

Aberdeen kicked off but it was the home side who threatened first when a long ball into the box eluded Stephen Glass in the opening minute. Hibernian's Gary Caldwell, who is being linked with Celtic, was greeted with jeers by the home fans every time he touched the ball. The treatment must have unnerved the Hibs player as he made a schoolboy error in the 4th minute allowing Crawford to collect the ball and round Malkowski to hand the Dons an early advantage. Although gifted with possession Crawford kept a cool head to beat the keeper and roll the ball into the net.

There was little goalmouth action until another Hibs error gifted the Dons a second goal in the 14th minute. This time it was a mix up between Hogg and Malkowski that allowed Darren Mackie to nip in and roll the ball into an empty net. Three minutes later Crawford got in behind the Hibs defence but Jamie Smith slipped as the ball was cut back to him and the danger was cleared. Seconds later Malkowski was forced to punch the ball clear before Aberdeen won the first corner of the match.

Foster then played a neat one-two with Mackie in the 20th minute but lack of control allowed the keeper to gather before another mix up between Hogg and Malkowski almost gifted Mackie the third. Hibernian got the break this time but at this stage the home defence was at sixes and sevens and looking very vulnerable. Hibs finally managed a shot in the 26th minute when Griffin was dispossessed and Michael Stewart drove his shot wide of the target from 25 yards. The home side appeared to have recovered from their horror start and O'Connor hit another effort off target on the half hour mark.

Michael Stewart was now starting to control the middle of the park but Anderson and McNaughton were looking assured at the back. Hibs went close in the 37th minute when Brown pierced the Dons defence and found Riordan. The striker then forced the first save from Langfield who blocked the shot and gathered the ball at the second attempt. In the final minute of the half Glass hit the side netting but Langfield looked to have it covered anyway.

Ivan Sproule replaced Glass at the start of the second half as Hibs made a whirlwind start to the second half. Aberdeen rode their luck in the 48th minute when Riordan watched a fierce shot bounce off the upright and into the arms of Langfield. Two minutes later Langfield again made a good save but couldn't hold the ball and Anderson was forced to boot the ball clear for a corner. Mackie collected the first yellow card of the match in the 52nd minute for a clumsy challenge on Murphy then two minutes later Clark made a great block from a Brown effort as the Dons were forced on to the back foot.

On the hour mark Sproule delivered a dangerous cross and O'Connor headed inches wide. Two minutes later Riordan set up Fletcher but once again the ball was screwed wide of the target as the Dons struggled to get out of their own half. Aberdeen did weather the early storm and Smith then did well in the 69th minute as he beat a couple of defenders but then gave the ball away as he reached the danger area. Nicholson then upended Riordan in the box a minute later to throw Hibs a lifeline. The Hibs striker dusted himself down then drilled the ball against the upright and watched in agony as the ball spun across the line but stayed out.

The Dons continued to defend solidly as Hibs threw everything at the Dons and Calderwood added fresh legs in the 78th minute when Lovell replaced Crawford before Muirhead replaced Smith four minutes later.Langfield made one more significant save in the final minute. Then in injury time Hibs won a free kick on the edge of the box and at the second attempt Whittaker slotted the ball under Langfield then Muirhead who was booked for running out of the wall at the first attempt was sent off a minute later for kicking the ball away. Time had run out for Hibs and the Dons head back up the road with three points.

Match Stats:

Hibs Dons
Goal Attempts 14 2
On Target 6 2
Corners 2 3
Possession 61% 39%

Hibernian Teamsheet:  Malkowski, Whittaker, Caldwell, Hogg, Murphy, Brown, Stewart, Thomson, Glass, O'Connor, Riordan

Unused Subs: Sproule for Glass (46), Fletcher for Hogg (58), Morrow for Riordan (75)

Bookings:  Stewart (90)

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Byrne, Clark, Griffin, McNaughton, Anderson, Smith (Muirhead 82), Nicholson, Mackie, Crawford (Lovell 78), Foster.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Mackie (52),  Muirhead (90),  Muirhead (90),  Muirhead (90).

Referee: Dougie McDonald, Edinburgh

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)