Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2006-07 fixture list
Motherwell 0 - 2 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM         Mackie 33, Mackie 61.  
Attendance: 5,186
Venue: Fir Park, Motherwell
Mackie double seals opening win
After a nervous opening half hour Aberdeen went ahead and eventually took control of the match. The goal hero was Darren Mackie who cashed in on a defensive error in the 33rd minute then added a second as he insured a goal bound effort from Touzani crossed the line. Aberdeen enjoyed most of the play after the break with fine performances from Mackie up front and Touzani looking better with each game at the back. This result goes some way to make up for last weeks late disappointment at Pittodrie.

Motherwell started positively winning a corner in the opening minute and almost opened the scoring when MacDonald headed on to the bar after Reynolds missed the target with a free header. The home side continued to dominate the play with Aberdeen hemmed back in the early stages. Clarkson then had a chance to release O'Donnell in the 8th minute but the Motherwell striker went for goal himself and had his shot blocked. A minute later Clarkson tested Langfield with a poor shot before Smith broke and fired well wide of the target.

Aberdeen's play was littered with mistakes as they struggled to make an impact on the game. At the other end Motherwell continued to threat and won a second corner kick in the 14th minute that the Dons struggled to clear. A sliced clearance from Diamond produced another corner three minutes later but a strong punch from Langfield cleared the danger. Aberdeen created their first real chance in the 20th minute when Diamond looped a header back across goal from a Nicholson free kick. The keeper failed to claim the ball but Dempsey also failed to get any power on his shot at goal allowing the home defence to clear.

Motherwell went close again in the 23rd minute after MacDonald set up the chance and Clarkson failed to find the target. A minute later Mackie set up Dempsey but the midfielder fired wide of Smith's goal. Jamie Smith then skipped past a couple of defenders in the 25th minute but failed to deliver the final pass as the Dons eased their way into the match. Another home corner on the half hour mark was half cleared and McBride fired over from 25 yards. Aberdeen then took the lead against the run of play after Touzani and Hart did well to take the ball out of defence and feed Nicholson. The midfielder then played a long ball through the middle that was left by the home defence and the keeper for each other to deal with. As they dithered Mackie nipped in lobbed the ball over the keeper and rolled it into the net.

A minute later Mackie attempted to add a second but couldn't get any power in his header. The pacey striker was causing real problems now and was unlucky in the 37th minute when he chased another lost cause but slipped as he looked like keeping the ball in play with several teammates waiting in the middle. A well worked free kick from Motherwell five minutes before the break produced a save from Langfield after MacDonald set up Clarkson. The same two players combined well again two minutes later, but Clarkson fired wide of the target.

Aberdeen started the second half at a better tempo than they did in the opening 45 minutes winning their first corner of the match in the 49th minute. After the ball had been half cleared Touzani fired at goal but had his shot deflected into the keeper's arms. Seconds later Touzani showed his worth at the back with a well timed challenge to deny Clarkson. Craigan collected the first yellow card of the game with a deliberate trip on Nicholson as he looked to break. The resulting free kick saw a Dempsey header blocked as the game now raged from end to end.

Crawford should have done better in the 56th minute after Nicholson had made a great run into the penalty area but wasn't spotted by the striker. Mackie almost added a second on the hour mark when Smith managed to get his fingertips on to the ball. The subsequent corner produced a second goal when the keeper cancelled out the good work of his previous save with a poor attempt to clear allowing Touzani to steer the ball goalward and Darren Mackie made sure the ball ended up in the net. Foster then replaced Dempsey seconds after Quinn had been booked for a cynical foul.

A minute later Foran replaced McGarry and immediately tested Langfield who gathered at the second attempt. The Dons substitution saw Aberdeen revert to a 4-4-2 formation after playing the first hour with three at the back. Foran had a half chance in the 73rd minute but failed to find the target. Goalkeeper Smith redeemed himself in the 78th minute when a defensive error presented Crawford with a gift but Smith did well to keep the ball out of the net. Motherwell then went for broke in the 79th minute when ex-Don Jim Hamilton was introduced.

Goal hero Darren Mackie was given a standing ovation when John Stewart replaced him in the 81st minute. Langfield was forced into a fine save in the 88th minute to keep a Touzani header out of the net. Before the corner could be taken Considine replaced Crawford as the Dons looked to hold on to their 2-0 score line. Foster then went on a great run in the 90th minute beating several players before over running the ball at the end.

Match Stats:

Well Dons
Goal Attempts 11 7
On Target 3 4
Corners 6 2
Possession 46% 54%

Motherwell Teamsheet:  Smith, Quinn, Craigan, McBride, Paterson, Kerr, McGarry, O'Donnell, Macdonald, Clarkson, Reynolds.

Unused Subs: Foran for McGarry (66), Hamilton for McBride (79)

Bookings:  Craigan (53),   Quinn (65)

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Hart, Diamond, Clark, Touzani, Anderson, Smith, Nicholson, Mackie (Stewart 81), Crawford (Considine 88), Dempsey (Foster 65).

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Clark (79).

Referee: Steve Conroy

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)