Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2006-07 fixture list
Falkirk 0 - 2 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM         Dempsey 51, Daal 82.  
Attendance: 5,812
Venue: Falkirk Stadium, Falkirk
Dempsey and Daal seal the points for Dons
Aberdeen maintained their fine record against Falkirk as Dyron Daal scored his first goal for the club. After a goalless first half Gary Dempsey opened the scoring six minutes after the break with a low drive following a corner. Substitute Dyron Daal added a late second as the home side pushed forward to give the Dons a deserved three points ahead of two tough matches against Hearts and Rangers.

Falkirk carved out the first chance in the opening minute when Stokes was on target from the edge of the box and forced Langfield into a save as he turned the ball round the post. The subsequent corner was easily cleared before the home side won a free kick that was blocked by the defensive wall in the third minute. Aberdeen won their first corner in the 6th minute when Miller headed on a free kick and the ball was scrambled clear. The corner was well defended, but the Dons looked to have settled after a strong start by the home side. Mackie was next to threaten a minute later when he was released by Clark but flagged by the assistant in what looked like a tight decision.

Mackie was again involved in the 9th minute when he looked to be held back but the referee failed to award the free kick. Falkirk took advantage of this let off and almost grabbed the lead a minute later when Barr headed a corner off the Dons woodwork with Langfield beaten. A Miller header in the 15th minute failed to trouble Higgins before the ex United man just failed to latch on to a Dempsey pass seconds later. Ross collected the first caution of the game in the 19th minute with a rash challenge on Foster and Aberdeen almost opened the scoring from the free kick. Severin played the ball in and Anderson forced a fine save from Higgins before Mackie turned the ball over the bar.

Nicholson was the next victim of a rash challenge when he was taken late by O'Donnell. The Falkirk man was very lucky to escape a caution and was happy to settle for a lecture. Nicholson should have done better on the half hour mark when he scooped the ball over the bar after some good build up play. A Falkirk corner in the 34th minute then caused problems for the Dons with Langfield being forced to punch clear before Stokes fired over to ease the pressure. Anderson then had to sweep up after a bad mistake from Severin allowed Falkirk to break quickly.

Higgins made another save in the 43rd minute from a Dempsey free kick after a ragged spell, which saw both sides giving away cheap possession. On the stroke of half time Foster broke and delivered a cross that was looped over the bar by Lee Miller. Seconds later the halftime whistle blew with neither side being able to make the breakthrough.

Anderson was in action early in the second half when he cut out a pass to John Stewart, which he then fed back to Jamie Langfield. Dodd then gave away a cheap corner in the 51st minute after being closed down by Mackie and this led to the opening goal. The corner was only half cleared and Dempsey drilled the ball low into the net. Dempsey almost added a second three minutes later when he attempted an audacious lob over the keeper, but the ball cleared the bar as well as the keeper. A Nicholson free kick in the 58th minute was headed over the top by Anderson as the Dons looked to add a second.

Aberdeen were in control of the match at this stage and should have added a second in the 62nd minute after some lovely play from Nicholson set up Miller, but the keeper stood up well and blocked the striker's effort. Six minutes later Falkirk were awarded a controversial corner as everybody else in the stadium could see it was a goal kick. The set play failed to materialise as the Dons were awarded a free kick as the ball came into the box. At the other end Miller set up Mackie before Dodds intercepted.

Falkirk almost levelled in the 75th minute when substitute Gow combined with Stokes and the youngster crashed the ball off the bar as the home side started to gain the upper hand. At the other end Foster set up Nicholson but a last gasp challenge denied the midfielder. Daal then replaced the tiring Lee Miller in the 78th minute but it was Falkirk who were now pressing. Gow was causing all sorts of problems and Clark had to concede a corner in the 80th minute as the substitute tormented Hart. The subsequent corner saw Twaddle scoop the ball over the top.

Just as the home side looked to be getting back into the match the Dons broke and added a second goal. Mackie and Daal combined and as two defenders collide Daal broke, stepped forward and drilled the ball past Higgins for his first senior goal for the club. A mistake from Nicholson five minutes from time almost produced a goal for the Bairns, but O'Donnell elected to shoot rather than release Stokes who was in splendid isolation. O'Donnell was then booked with four minutes remaining following his second crude challenge of the match. Mackie should have added the icing to the cake in the 88th minute after combining with Daal, but he fired over.

Falkirk Teamsheet:  Higgins, Ross, Dodd, Barr, Twaddle, Thomson, Gregg, O'Donnell, Scobie, Stewart, Stokes.

Unused Subs: Gow for Scobie (67), Moutinho for Stewart (81)

Bookings:  Ross (19),   O'Donnell (86)

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Hart, Foster, Severin, Considine, Anderson, Nicholson, Dempsey, Mackie, Miller (Daal 78), Clark.

Unused Subs:


Referee: Brian Winter

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)