Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2006-07 fixture list
Rangers 1 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Sebo (89)        
Attendance: 50,488
Venue: Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
Dons lose late goal after hitting woodwork
For the second week running Aberdeen played some fine football but ended up with nothing. Chris Clark looked to have given the Dons a deserved lead in the 79th minute when he broke forward, beat Rodrigues then chipped the keeper and agonisingly hit the post before the ball was hooked clear. The Dons looked to be comfortable but substitute Sebo popped up to score a winner in the 89th minute. The Dons cause wasn't helped when they lost Anderson through injury early in the second half, but Dianond and Considine did well at the back.

Aberdeen kicked off inside a noisy Ibrox with Severin moving into the middle of the park and Hart in the centre of the defence with Anderson. After a quiet opening Rangers threatened in the 5th minute when Ferguson released Prso, but Anderson and Considine combined to clear the danger. Mackie, making his 200th appearance for the Dons, was caught offside a couple of times in the early stages then in the 8th minute Alan McGregor looked to be clearly outside his area when he picked up a long ball but the officials were happy to allow play to continue.

A looping header from Considine a minute later was easily clutched (inside his area) by McGregor before Rangers had an optimistic appeal for a spot kick at the other end as Hart and Buffel got caught in a tangle. The home side then won the first corner of the match in the 12th minute and Langfield was forced into a save after Severin had headed the first ball clear. A Foster free kick in the 15th minute was flicked on by Lee Miller but easily intercepted by the keeper. Then a minute later Clark worked his way forward, but the wide player produced a poor cross.

Rangers then carved out a half chance in the 20th minute when Smith found himself free in a forward position, but elected to try and find Prso when a shot at goal may have been a better option. Seconds later Sionko headed over as the Dons were put on the back foot. Bardsley then took Clark out of the play but the Dons wasted the free kick before Rangers were awarded a free kick after a great challenge by Foster that referee Richmond judged illegal. Buffel then fell over in the box, but the official was unimpressed. There were few chances being created at this stage and Aberdeen made a complete mess of a free kick routine in the 24th minute as both sides struggled in this first half.

Three minutes later Lee Miller broke well from Rodriguez but a poor pass towards Mackie ended the move before Rangers threatened through Buffel and the reds had to scramble the ball clear. Mackie and Miller then combined well but lack of support left Mackie without a target man inside the box. On the half hour mark a Severin free kick found Considine on the back post but the defender was unable to steer the ball on target. Prso claimed for an umpteenth penalty in the 34th minute when he crumpled inside the box before Ferguson's shot was blocked. Aberdeen then broke and Clark had an effort at goal before Considine collected the first yellow card for a crude challenge similar to the one that Bardsley escaped punishment for earlier in the match.

Clark and Mackie then broke quickly two minutes later and the cross was slightly behind Lee Miller and he had to take a touch allowing the home defence to get back. At the other end Langfield had to race outside his area to deny Buffel a scoring opportunity before Anderson conceded a free kick 25 yards out. Fortunately the wall defended the set play well as they blocked an Adam effort. Five minutes from time Lee Miller had a great chance from a Nicholson free kick but ended up taking a swing at fresh air. Three minutes later Langfield was called into action to block a Ferguson header.

With a minute remaining Hart collected the second yellow card when he was adjudged to have fouled Prso on the edge of the box. There was a big delay as Prso made a fourth appeal for a spot kick. When the set play finally came Bardsley sent the ball well over the top to keep the teams level.

Rangers started the second half strongly, winning a corner in the opening minute. Aberdeen then had a big let off as Langfield failed to gather the cross and Sionko controlled the ball but fired well wide of the target when it looked easier to score. Langfield was back in action two minutes later falling at the feet of Sionko to gather the ball. The home side were in control at this stage as Aberdeen were forced to soak up some pressure. McGregor then had to look lively in the 52nd minute as he smothered the ball with Dempsey looking to strike while at the other end Adam drilled an effort across the face of the goal.

Papac then became the first Ranger to be booked after tugging Lee Miller to the ground. Aberdeen were then dealt a blow as Anderson was forced to leave the field with a knock that had been troubling him since the break. Diamond replaced the captain for his 100th first team appearance and a minute later Boyd replaced the limping Sionko. This double substitution looked to have turned the game in the home sides favour but it was substitute captain Scott Severin who fired inches over seconds after the substitutions. Diamond showed his worth on the hour mark with a tremendous challenge to deny Boyd.

It was Considine's turn to deny Boyd in the 63rd minute as he and Diamond now combined in the middle with Hart moving to full back. Seconds later Foster went really close. Unfortunately it was inches from being an own goal as the ball scraped over Jamie Langfield's goal. Mackie was not to have a memorable 200th appearance, as he was replace by Dyron Daal in the 65th minute. Daal was straight into the action and conceded a free kick in a situation with Rodriguez that looked 50/50. At the other end Langfield saved from Boyd after Prso had set up the striker. It was to be Prso's last contribution as he was replaced by Martin seconds later.

Daal forced a save out of McGregor in the 68th minute when he got on to the end of a Chris Clark cross. Aberdeen then managed a sustained period of pressure and Diamond went close to capping a centenary performance with a looped header that landed on the top of the net in the 74th minute. A minute later Langfield made a comfortable save from a soft Rangers free kick. Dempsey then released Daal in the 77th minute but McGregor was quick out of his goal to clear. Chris Clark looked certain to score in the 79th minute when he broke forward, beat Rodrigues then chipped the keeper and agonisingly hit the post before the ball was hooked clear.

Rodriguez was booked for his challenge on Clark, as the Dons bench could hardly believe that the ball had failed to find the net. Hart was penalised in the 85th minute for a poor challenge on Martin and the subsequent free kick had Considine heading the ball off the line. The home side appeared to wake up after the Dons had hit the woodwork and Aberdeen were being forced to defend at this stage. Diamond did well in the 87th minute and quick thinking by Langfield prevented the corner.

After all the good work Aberdeen, for the third time this season, conceded a late goal in the closing stages. Substitute Sebo did the damage with a goal in the 89th minute. Aberdeen pushed forward to try and earn a point but Rangers manage to defend a corner in the 90th minute. McGregor was on hand again deep in injury time to take the ball off the head of Dempsey with Rodriguez beaten.

Match Stats:

Gers Dons
Goal Attempts 18 4
On Target 8 2
Corners 4 1
Possession 53% 47%

Rangers Teamsheet:  McGregor, Buffel, Papac, Ferguson, Hemdani, Prso, Sionko, Bardsley, Adam, Smith, Rodriguez.

Unused Subs: Boyd for Sionko (57), Martin for Prso (68), Sebo for Adam (78)

Bookings:  Papac (55),   Rodriguez (79),   Sebo (90)

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Hart, Foster, Severin, Considine, Anderson (Diamond 56), Nicholson, Dempsey, Mackie (Daal 65), Miller, Clark.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Considine (34),  Hart (44).

Referee: Charlie Richmond, Auchinleck

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)