Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2006-07 fixture list
Aberdeen 2 - 1 Hibernian
Kick Off:  7:45 PM   Miller 56, Severin 93.       Killen (47)  
Attendance: 11,179 (Visitors: 657)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Severin strike seals points in late show
Aberdeen scored a dramatic winner deep in injury time to seal a deserved win over ten man Hibs. After a goalless first half Hibs took the lead after the break when a howler from Zander Diamond was punished. Aberdeen were level again within ten minutes as Lee Miller scored his first goal for the club with a neat turn and shot. Hibs were then reduced to ten men when Killen saw red after stamping on Dempsey. Aberdeen then laid siege to the Hibs goal and after a couple of strong penalty claims were denied it looked as though they would have to settle for a draw. Scott Severin then popped up in injury time with a wonderful volley to claim all three points.

Aberdeen kicked off but made a shaky start as the visitor's made their attacking intentions known. Severin made a bad mistake in the 5th minute allowing Hibs to break and win the first corner of the match. Aberdeen defended well and carved out a good chance two minutes later when Hart whipped in a decent cross from the right that just evaded Lee Miller. Aberdeen created another chance in the 12th minute when a Foster cross caused problems, but the Hibs defence eventually scrambled the ball clear.

Anderson made an uncharacteristic mistake in the 15th minute allowing Sproule to go one-on-one on the keeper but fortunately for the captain the Hibs man pulled his shot wide of the target. At the other end Nicholson whipped in a dangerous free kick and Malkowski fumbled as Severin tried to get a touch. Hibs then broke forward and a nervous looking Dons defence were at sixes and sevens as they struggled to clear their lines. Martis was booked in the 20th minute before a Clark shot was headed clear. Nicholson followed Martis into the book two minutes later for a late challenge on Whittaker.

There were muted penalty appeals in the 26th minute when Clark made a break and Mackie tumbled in the box as the cross came in. Mackie had a good chance in the 32nd minute but the shot was well wide. Whittaker then collected a yellow card a minute later for a challenge on Clark but Anderson was penalised as the free kick was delivered. It was Langfield's turn for a blunder after 35 minutes when he dropped the ball forcing Anderson to boot clear before any Hibs player could pounce. Severin then did well on the left before delivering a cross that was volleyed over by Nicholson.

With four minutes remaining Malkowski failed to collect a cross and in the ensuing melee there were claims for handball but when the dust had settled a goal kick was awarded. Aberdeen were finishing the half strongly as the rain swirled around Pittodrie. Jones then collected a yellow card in the 44th minute for a rash challenge on Mackie before Anderson was bundled over in the penalty area but once again Mr. Clark was unimpressed.

Aberdeen made the worst possible start to the second half when the umpteenth howler was eventually punished. This time it was Zander Diamond who slipped up as he was closed down by Zemmama who cut the ball back to give Killen the simplest of tap in's. Aberdeen tried to level in the 49th minute as Thomson collected the visitor's fourth yellow card. Barry Nicholson curled the subsequent free kick wide before Diamond and Killen were booked in the 53rd minute to take the crime count to seven. Aberdeen were back in the match in the 56th minute when Lee Miller grabbed his debut goal.

A throw in from Nicholson was delivered to Severin on the edge of the box and he slipped a pass to Dempsey who threaded the ball through to Miller. The striker turned well and fired past Malkowski to set Pittodrie alight. Hibs yellow card count caught up with them in the 65th minute when Killen received a second yellow for stamping on Dempsey. Two minutes later Aberdeen almost took the lead when Dempsey rolled a free kick to Severin and he drilled a shot inches wide of the target. Considine then replaced Diamond in the 67th minute and five minutes later Aberdeen were denied a strong penalty claim.

The ball was slipped through to Lee Miller on the edge of the box and he looked to be clearly upended and despite a long hard look from Kenny Clark no award was forthcoming. Five minutes later Clark was tripped inside the box and the referee again ignored the appeals. Mackie was then inches from connecting with a through ball before Maguire replaced Dempsey in the 77th minute as Calderwood went for the win. Maguire delivered a great cross in the 81st minute and Martis had to head wide. Following the corner the ball was delivered back into the box by Maguire and Malkowski, who had looked shaky all night, pulled off a terrific save from a Severin volley.

Nicholson should have grabbed the second goal in the 84th minute when Clark delivered a great cross and Nicholson, who was unmarked, headed wide. Hibs almost stole the points in injury time when a free kick was played into the box and the ball was steered wide of the target. There was to be a sting in the tail however when Aberdeen grabbed a sensational winner in the 93rd minute. Scott Severin controlled the ball 20 yards out and hit the sweetest volley pass Malkowski to send the red army home with a smile on their faces as the Dons move into fourth spot in the SPL.

Match Stats:

Dons Hibs
Goal Attempts 10 6
On Target 44
Corners 2 2
Possession 49% 51%

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Hart, Foster, Severin, Diamond (Considine 67), Anderson, Nicholson, Dempsey (Maguire 77), Mackie, Miller, Clark.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Nicholson (22),  Diamond (53),  Foster (70).

Hibernian Teamsheet:  Malkowski, Whittaker, Martis, Jones, Shields, Sproule, Stewart, Thomson, Zemmama, Killen, Glass.

Unused Subs: Beuzelin for Stewart (64), Fletcher for Sproule (82), Shiels for Zemmama (84)

Bookings:  Martis (20),   Whittaker (33),   Jones (44),   Thomson (49),   Killen (53),   Stewart (57)   Killen (65)

Referee: Kenny Clark, Paisley

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)