Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2006-07 fixture list
League Cup Second Round 
Queens Park 0 - 0 Aberdeen
    AET. Queens Park win 5-3 on Pens
Kick Off:  7:45 PM   (Pens)
O - Steven Canning
O - Mark Ferry
O - Robert Dunn
O - Mark Cairns
O - Alan Trouten
Attendance: 1,588
Venue: Firhill, Glasgow
Dons spot of bother ends in humiliation
Aberdeen suffered their biggest humiliation since crashing out of the Scottish Cup to Stenhousemuir in 1995. The home side went closest to scoring in the 120 minutes when Derek Soutar had to turn a Bowers effort round the post in extra time. The match went to spot kicks and Darren Mackie missed the Dons first kick when he fired over the bar. The amateurs kept their nerve to score all five spot kicks to win 5-3.

It was a fairly even start to the match and the home side had the first shot at goal in the 2nd minute when Kettlewell fired well wide. Aberdeen were struggling to settle in the early stages but had a half chance in the 12th minute when Mackie almost collected a ball over the top but Dunlop cleared. Calderwood was clearly unhappy with the start and reverted to a 4-4-2 formation in an attempt to change things round. Three minutes later Winter had a chance to get in on goal but he was penalised for a tug on the shirt of the home defender.

Winter then had the Dons first shot at goal in the 16th minute but he was well off target as Aberdeen tried to get to grips with the match. Two minutes later Crawford had a shot but he was also well off target with his effort. The Dons were then caught napping at the back by Dunn and Soutar had to make a save. Either side then had the ball in the net in the 20th minute but both were chalked off in tight decisions. Ronald had the ball in the net first quickly followed by Clark finishing well for the Dons.

Some good passing play in the 25th minute produced the Dons first shot on target when Winter fired in an effort from 20 yards that was well held by Cairns. Queens Park then won the first corner of the match three minutes later, but Aberdeen defended the set play well. The Dons were now enjoying the bulk of the play and there were muted appeals for a spot kick on the half hour mark, but the ball looked to have struck a knee rather than a hand. The home side were clearly on the back foot now but were defending resolutely as the Dons tried to carve an opening.

In the 35th minute the Dons began knocking the ball about well and won a free kick 20 yards out when a Clark effort was handled. Nicholson's effort from the set play was blocked then Crawford blocked a Winter effort as the home defence started to creak. Four minutes later the Dons won another free kick and Dan Smith fired the effort straight at the keeper. The home side then won some respite a minute later when they won their own free kick 30 yards out. Canning's effort was deflected off a Dons player leaving Soutar scurrying to tip the ball round for a corner. Queens had soaked up the pressure and Ferry had another shot at goal before Winter tested the keeper from 30 yards in the final minute of the half.

Calderwood made two changes at the interval as Macaulay and Stewart replaced Dempsey and Winter. An early free kick was wasted by Nicholson before Crawford and Stewart combined well in the 50th minute but failed to produce a finish. Aberdeen then won their first corner of the match in the 54th minute then quickly won a second. The home defence defended the set play well and broke with Dunn firing well wide. The Dons were again in the ascendancy but were doing little to break down the home defence.

Ferry was almost caught out by the pace of Clark in the 67th minute but forced the ball back to the keeper before Nicholson tested the stopper from 20 yards. A minute later Macaulay also got a shot on target as the SPL side increased the pressure. The pressure was now building on Queens Park and a free kick in the 72nd minute almost produced the opener as Nicholson played a ball to the far post and good defending denied Anderson as he went for the ball. Queens Park then broke and won a corner kick at the other end but Anderson cleared his lines before the ball came back in and Foster and Smith struggled to clear the danger.

A minute kater Macaulay set up Crawford from a Stewart cross but the striker was stretching as he shot and the ball went well over the top. Chances for Anderson and Nicholson were scorned before Maguire replaced Smith in the 80th minute. The home defence were now under extreme pressure but still stood firm as Aberdeen through everything at them.

A scramble in the 86th minute had the keeper punching clear before Maguire set up Nicholson but the midfielder fired wide. Maguire then set up Macaulay in the 89th minute but his shot was blocked and then Nicholson wasted a free kick. The Dons continued to press with another two corners in injury time that failed to produce a winner and sent the tie into extra time.

Maguire set up John Stewart in the 92nd minute but the youngster failed to find the target. Maguire was certainly causing problems for the Queens players, as he looked lively in the 97th minute, beating several players to launch another attack that ended with the ball being blazed over. Five minutes later the home side almost grabbed a sensational lead when Souter pulled off a great save from Bowers and turned the ball round the post.

Considine went close in the 106th minute with a fine shot that tested Cairns then the home side won a corner four minutes later but Anderson did well to clear. Aberdeen were not enjoying all the play now as the third division side finished strongly and Soutar was forced to beat another free kick away in the 108th minute. Aberdeen then broke but Maguire's effort was straight at the keeper. Chris Clark almost grabbed the winner in the 117th minute but Cairns managed to grab the ball on the line. Clark had another chance in the 119th minute but he was closed down quickly. Then in the final seconds a Crawford header floated agonisingly wide of the target.

The match went to spot kicks and after Canning had given the home side the lead, Darren Mackie stepped up and fired his effort over the top. With every other spot kick being converted the Dons crashed out of the cup and left the field to the sound of boos ringing in their ears from the loyal band of supporters who had travelled down to Glasgow.

Match Stats:

Queens Dons
Goal Attempts 8 16
On Target 5 10
Corners 5 8
Possession 54% 46%

Queens Park Teamsheet:  Cairns, Paton, Sinclair, Agostoni, Dunlop, Kettlewell, Weatherston, Canning, Ferry, Dunn, Ronald.

Unused Subs: Trouten for Ronald (58), Bowers for Weatherston (80), Whelan for Sinclair (91)


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Soutar, Winter (Stewart 46), Smith (Maguire 80), Foster, Anderson, Considine, Nicholson, Dempsey (Macaulay 46), Mackie, Crawford, Clark.

Unused Subs:


Referee: Stephen Finnie

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)