Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2003-04 fixture list
League Cup Third Round 
Aberdeen 5 - 0 Brechin City
Kick Off:  7:45 PM   Tosh 11, Booth 13, Muirhead 37, Sheerin 37, Hinds 85.        
Attendance: 3,631 (Visitors: 609)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Dons ease through to last eight
Aberdeen eased into the last eight of the CIS cup with a blistering first half performance. The second period failed to match the free-scoring opening 45 minutes with the job already done. Goals from Tosh, Booth, man of the match Scott Muirhead and Paul Sheerin had given the 3,631 crowd plenty to cheer and if it hadn't been for some great goalkeeping by Soutar in the visitor's goal it could have been more. The second half was disappointing, but a late goal from a deflected Booth shot sent the Red Army home happy.

Aberdeen went close in the 2nd minute when Clark delivered a dangerous cross into the centre but Booth was well marshalled as he tried to convert the chance. The visitors were looking lively at this stage and were challenging hard for every ball. Strong running by Muirhead in the 8th minute gave Aberdeen the first of three corners, which Brechin coped with quite comfortably. The Dons finally made the breakthrough in the 11th minute.

Mackie was released on the right, but Soutar made a fine save from his low strike. The Brechin defence were unable to clear their lines and Tosh drilled the ball past the keeper for the opener. Aberdeen doubled their advantage two minutes later from a well-worked corner kick. As the ball was played deep, Anderson rose to head across the face of goal and Scott Booth turned the ball into the net to give the Dons the perfect start.

Aberdeen almost added a third in the 17th minute when Muirhead whipped in a cross from the left, but Booth just failed to connect. A minute later Sheerin had another effort blocked as Brechin began to look shaky. The visitors had other ideas however and only a last gasp block by Anderson prevented them from pulling a goal back in the 20th minute. Aberdeen looked to have extended their lead a minute later following another fine run by Muirhead. Mackie was on the end of his cross and steered the ball goalwards, but it stalled agonisingly close to the line before the keeper gathered.

Soutar kept Brechin in the game in the 29th minute with a magnificent double stop from Mackie. The striker was released and hit a decent half volley that the keeper did well to block. He then managed to get a foot in the way to deflect the second effort for a corner. Soutar was performing heroics again three minutes later and once more it was Mackie that was denied as the keeper blocked his shot after changing direction in mid air. Muirhead was causing Brechin all sorts of problems and his marker was substituted in the 34th minute.

Aberdeen extended their lead in the 37th minute and it was a deserved goal for Muirhead. Tosh was out left covering for the winger and Muirhead rose to meet the cross and head past Soutar. The fourth followed four minutes later after Muirhead had been unceremoniously dumped on the ground following another fine run. Tosh rolled the ball to Sheerin lurking outside the area and he placed the ball with pace into the corner of the net. A final chance of the half was halted with an offside flag, but the Dons left the field to resounding cheers from the small crowd.

Aberdeen introduced Rutkiewicz for McGuire and Brechin used their final two substitutes at the start of the second half. The visitors came out with a bit more fight, but it was Aberdeen who were carving out the chances. In the 50th minute Clark fired a shot inches wide when a cut back might have produced a better result. Five minutes later Booth returned a deep corner across the face of the goal but the ball missed Rutkiewicz by a hair's breadth. Further efforts by Booth and Tosh were also squandered as the Dons looked to add to their tally.

Tiernan replaced Heikkinen in the 64th minute and Aberdeen continued to look for more goals. Unfortunately this second period was not living up to the first half as chances became fewer as time went by. As the Dons lost their cutting edge up front the visitors increased their efforts to grab a consolation. It was Aberdeen who found the net again however when a Booth shot took a wicked deflection off of Leigh Hinds and nestled in the net. Booth had the ball in the net again seconds later, but the striker was clearly offside.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, Anderson, Deloumeaux, Clark (Hinds 74), McGuire (Rutkiewicz 46), Heikkinen (Tiernan 64), Muirhead, Tosh, Booth, Sheerin, Mackie.

Unused Subs:


Brechin City Teamsheet:  Soutar, Smith, McCulloch, White, Deas, Fotheringham, King, Mitchell, Hampshire, Jablonski, Stein.

Unused Subs: Miller for Smith (34), Templeman for Stein (46), M. McCulloch for S. McCulloch (46)

Bookings:  Miller (40),   M. McCulloch (62)

Referee: Kenny Clark, Paisley

Related Links: