Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2003-04 fixture list
Scottish Cup Third Round 
Aberdeen 0 - 0 Dundee
Kick Off:  3:00 PM          
Attendance: 11,012 (Visitors: 1,457)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Dons fail to Dump ten man Dundee
Aberdeen failed to get the better of ten-man Dundee and will now have to try again at Dens. Aberdeen have failed to get the better of the Dark Blues at Pittodrie since 1993 and they didn't look like breaking that hoodoo today. The Dons were second best for the first half and struggled to break down a well-organised Dundee defence after Fotheringham was dismissed in the 52nd minute. They will need to raise their game in the return if they are to progress to the next round.

Dundee kicked off this Scottish Cup tie, but it was Aberdeen who threatened first when Booth laid the ball off to Tosh in the opening minute. Unfortunately the midfielder's shot went wildly over the bar. A minute later Clark tested Speroni from a tight angle, but the keeper was alert to the danger. Dundee were also a threat going forward and Preece had a couple of hairy moments as he was closed down. Dundee won the first corner of the match in the 8th minute and Wilkie almost opened the scoring when his header went inches wide.

AT this stage Aberdeen were looking shaky at the back and the swirling wind at the beach end appeared to be causing a lot of problems. Up front the Dons were finding it hard to link. In the 19th minute Fotheringham delivered another dangerous free kick that the Dons eventually cleared as Wilkie threatened again. Two minutes later Novo was causing problems as the Dons conceded another corner. Wilkie again got his head to the resulting corner but headed straight at Preece.

This was not the start the red army were looking for as Aberdeen struggled to find the form they had shown in recent weeks. The Dons did manage to put a decent move together in the 25th minute but Clark's low drive drifted harmlessly wide. Dundee should have taken the lead four minutes later when Novo released McLean. Diamond slipped as the striker stepped forward and with only Preece to beat McLean somehow steered the ball wide of the target. Aberdeen hit back on the half hour mark when Tosh steered a Morrison delivery towards goal but with Speroni beaten Hernandez blocked the effort.

Diamond was forced to leave the field a minute later with blood pouring from a nasty head wound. Dundee had strong claims for a spot kick in the 36th minute when Robb went down in the box. Mr. Underhill was unimpressed and awarded a goal kick. A minute later Dundee opened up the Dons defence again but the finish failed to match the build up play. Seconds later the Dons broke forward as Morrison released Clark. Clark worked his way into the Dundee area and delivered a tempting cross, which evaded the Dons forwards.

Aberdeen carved out their best chance of the half in the 43rd minute when Booth flicked the ball onto Hinds who in turn released Foster. The teenager beat Speroni with his shot but watched in agony as his shot scraped past the far post. The youngster was released again seconds later but lost his footing as he tried to steady himself. Then in the closing minute Morrison tried his luck from a free kick 25 yards out. He got plenty of bend in the ball, but missed the target as the Dons finished the half on top.

Aberdeen started the second half with a bit more purpose and gave the Dundee back four a bit more of a test. However the Dons had Heikkinen to thank in the 50th minute when he executed a perfectly timed tackle on Novo inside the Dons penalty area. Two minutes later the game exploded when Fotheringham, who had been booked in the first half for persistent fouling, was shown a second yellow for a late challenge on Foster and took the long walk to an early bath. Foster didn't return to the game and was replaced by Muirhead at this stage.

Aberdeen won their first corner of the match in the 63rd minute and almost snatched the lead from the set play. Morrison swung in a pacey cross and Anderson missed the target by inches. Although Aberdeen were enjoying the lion's share of possession Dundee were always dangerous on the break with Novo causing most of the problems. The little striker had a good chance in the 68th minute but finished weakly and then a minute later a great Diamond tackle denied him. At the other end Heikkinen went close with a low drive that he steered wide.

Zdrilic should have done better in the 76th minute when he was given plenty of space but snatched at his shot and pulled it wide. A minute later Rutkiewicz hit a fierce shot that Speroni held at the second attempt with Booth lurking for scraps. Aberdeen were carving out chance after chance now with Clark and Muirhead supplying the ammunition. Unfortunately the finishing was poor and both Diamond and then Muirhead spurned chances.

At the other end Novo brought out a fine save from Preece in the 84th minute and then was denied again by Diamond seconds later. A last gasp block then denied Zdrilic in the 87th minute as Aberdeen tried to stop the tie going to a replay. Aberdeen laid siege to the Dundee goal in the closing minutes but the Dundee defence held firm for a deserved second bite of the cherry.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, Morrison, Rutkiewicz, Clark, Anderson, Diamond, Heikkinen (Sheerin 78), Tosh, Booth, Foster (Muirhead 53), Hinds (Zdrilic 64).

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Tarditi (65).

Dundee Teamsheet:  Speroni, Smith, Mackay, Wilkie, Hernandez, Brady, Fotheringham, Mair, Robb, McLean, Novo.

Unused Subs: Sancho for McLean (66), Jablonski for Novo (88)

Bookings:  Smith (26),   Fotheringham (45),   McLean (50),   Fotheringham (52),   Robb (60)   Fotheringham (52)

Referee: John R. Underhill, Edinburgh

Related Links: