Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2003-04 fixture list
Scottish Cup Third Round Replay 
Dundee 2 - 3 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  7:45 PM   Robb (8), Novo (90)       Clark 4, Heikkinen 77, Zdrilic 89.  
Attendance: 5,857
Venue: Dens Park, Dundee
Dons dump dundee at dens
Steve Paterson made two changes to the side beaten on Saturday at Tannadice. Kevin McNaughton returned after recovering from a long term injury and Bryan Prunty made his Aberdeen debut and first ever start at senior level.

In front of the Sky TV cameras, Dundee kicked off on a night perfect for football. Despite the game being televised live, there was another very healthy travelling Aberdeen support.

Dundee won the first corner of the game in the 2nd minute. Scott Morrison had to look lively to clear Steve Robb's in-swinger. The Dons took the lead in the 4th minute with a wonder goal from Chris Clark. The winger took the ball from Scott Booth, slipped past four defenders before powering a low shot past Speroni. In 6 minutes the Dons were awarded a free kick 28yards out but Morrison over hit his effort. Dundee then levelled in the 7th minute. A Novo shot was brilliantly parried out by Preece but Jablonski sent the loose ball goalwards with Robb getting the slightest of touches to deflect the ball home.

It was end-to-end stuff and the Dons forced a 12th minute corner from which Diamond headed Clark's effort just wide. McNaughton, playing at right back, did well to head a Linn cross clear as Robb was poised to strike. Morrison almost let Dundee in for a second with a poor headed passback but Anderson saved the day at the expense of a corner.

On 19 minutes Anderson again came to the rescue after a delightful Novo through ball found Linn in isolation. The winger cut inside only for the Dons skipper to take the ball off his toes as he shaped to shoot. Novo and Linn were causing the visitors quite a few problems with their pace and twice Diamond thwarted the Spaniard with well timed tackles. In 30 minutes a Brady free-kick was cleared by Morrison only as far as Mair who misdirected his effort wide of Preece's right-hand post. Aberdeen won their second corner in the 33rd minute but Clark's effort was easily held by Speroni.

In 38 minutes a long ball out of defence found Linn, who got the better of McNaughton, forcing Preece into a good save. The Dons went straight up the park and Hinds sent in a low effort that Speroni smothered at the second attempt.

Aberdeen had a chance in the opening seconds of the second half when a Hinds cross was met by Prunty whose header canoned off Hernandez. At the other end a Jablonski cross was touched past the post by Robb. In 49th minute an ambitious Booth effort was held by Speroni. Clark wasn't far away with a long range shot after good build up play from Tosh and Booth. A superb 53rd minute ball from Tosh put Hinds in the clear but the former Clyde man failed to test Speroni, blasting wide when he should have done better.

Whatever Steve Paterson had said to his players at the break seemed to have worked and there was a great deal more urgency about the Dons. Morrison needed treatment after a clash with Jablonski and referee Underhill caused uproar among the Red Army by insisting the full back leave the field for treatment. Dundee forced a couple of corners in quick succession but the Dons defence survived.

A delightful passing move ended with a one-two between Prunty and Tosh, the latter's shot flashing just inches past the post. In the 70th minute Clark sent a shot wide and seconds later Zdrilic replaced new boy Prunty.

With 14 minutes to go, and the game heading towards extra time, Aberdeen restored their advantage. A Clark shot was deflected into the path of Heikkinen who fired a superb shot past Speroni for his first Dons goal. A minute later Booth hit the bar with a header but really should have scored and made the game safe.

Dundee had the ball in the net in the 79th minute but the whistle had long gone. With time running out Milne replaced Jablonski for the home side. On 81 minutes Brady blasted over with a 20 yard effort. Booth had a Hinds cross in the net in 83 minutes but again was rightly ruled offside.

Sheerin came on for Heikkinen with four minutes to go. With two minutes remaining the tie was over when Zdrilic controlled a Tosh cross and lashed the ball home. The joy amongst the players, the fans and the bench was clear for all to see. In the final minute, Muirhead replaced the tiring McNaughton with Lovell on for Linn in the home ranks. In stoppage time Novo pulled one back for the home side to give Aberdeen a nervous last few moments but the Dons held on for a massive victory.

Dundee Teamsheet:  Speroni, MacKay, Wilkie, Mair, Santos, Smith, Jablonski, Brady, Robb, Novo, Linn.

Unused Subs: Milne for Jablonski (80), Lovell for Linn (90).

Bookings:  Linn (75).

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, Morrison, McNaughton (Muirhead 90), Heikkinen (Sheerin 87), Anderson, Diamond, Clark, Tosh, Booth, Hinds, Prunty (Zdrilic 71).

Unused Subs:


Referee: John Underhill

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)