Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2007-08 fixture list
UEFA Cup Group B 
Panathanaikos 3 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  7:00 PM   Goumas 11, Papadopoulos 73, Salpingidis 77        
Attendance: 8,154
Venue: Nea Smyrni Stadium, Athens
Dons crash in Athens
Zander Diamond in actionThe Dons first dip into the group stages of the UEFA cup ended in defeat after they lost two quick goals in the space of five minutes in the second half. That added to the Greeks opening goal in the first half and put the home team out of sight. The result was a bit harsh as Aberdeen had recovered well from the early set back and could have already been ahead when fine play set up Chris Clark in the 4th minute but the midfielder fired over. Not the start the Dons were looking for but with two home games still to be played they are still very much alive in Europe.

As expected the home team started strongly and won two early corners that were defended easily by the Aberdeen defence. In the fourth minute Aberdeen created the first shot at goal when Chris Clark fired a Derek Young cross over the bar from the edge of the box after good build up play between Young and Miller. With 11 minutes on the clock Considine was penalised for a foul on Ndoye and Ivanschitz swung in a wicked ball for Goumas to head past Langfield from six yards.

The Greeks open the scoring in AthensThe Dons were on the back foot again six minutes later when Langfield made a terrific save from the dangerous Ndoye, tipping the ball round the post. Diamond was on hand to clear the resulting corner from the danger area. Aberdeen had a chance to level in the 27th minute but a weak header from Derek Young was comfortably gathered. Two minutes later Nicholson fired in a free kick but it was easily cleared. Severin became the first player to be booked when he was cautioned on the half hour mark for a foul on Ndoye.

Severin was in the thick of it again three minutes later when he drilled an effort over the bar from 25 yards. The captain wasted a chance in the 38th minute after Nicholson won a free kick. Severin was too heavy with his delivery and it went tamely out for a goal kick. Minutes later the Dons were unlucky when the ball bounced about the home box but just wouldn't fall to a red shirt. The Greeks won their fourth corner in the 42nd minute as they looked for a second goal to kill off the tie but McNamara was first to react and cleared the ball.

The home side made a positive start to the second half as the dangerous Ndoye fired the ball into the side netting. Aberdeen then settled and Severin tried to release Foster in the 49th minute but the full back was eased off the ball. Two minutes later the Dons made another good move before Young had a shot blocked. Dimoutsos was then booked for hand ball and the resultant free kick had the Greeks defending desperately. The home side then broke quickly as the game raged from end to end. Aberdeen went close in the 57th minute when a free kick was whipped in and Nicholson just missed connecting with the ball.

Foster makes a challenge in AthensSeconds later Panathinaikos broke quickly through Goumas and Michael Hart had to look sharp to clear. Aberdeen were forced into a change in the 59th minute as Lee Mair replaced Considine. The home side went close again on the hour mark but ex Hearts player Fyssas was wild with his effort before Langfield made a comfortable save four minutes later. Clark threatened in the 65th minute forcing the keeper to punch clear, but the Aberdeen man was rather harshly penalised in the lead up. Salpigidis took a theatrical fall in the box in the 67th minute but the Austrian official was not fooled.

A minute later Foster got forward but his cross was just too strong while at the other end the Greeks forced another corner which was headed inches wide by Tziolis. A mistake from McNamara in the 72nd minute allowed substitute Papadopoulos to break forward and fire the ball past Langfield. Aberdeen tried to hit back quickly and won their first corner of the match. The ball was headed wide and de Visscher was immediately put on to replace of McNamara. The Dons were completely sunk in the 77th minute when Lee Mair conceded a free kick 25 yards out. Langfield made a fine save from Ivanschitz but as the Dons defence looked on Salpigidis followed up to make it 3-0.

Aluko replaced Severin in the 87th minute but the game was done and dusted by that stage. The Dons will look to bounce back against Moscow in their next match.

N.B.No programme was issued for this match.
Panathanaikos Teamsheet:  Arkadiusz Malarz, Nasief Morris, Panagiotis Fyssas, Giannis Goumas, Marcelo Mattos, Alexis Tziolis, Andreas Ivanschitz (Anthony Seric 81), Mikael Nilsson, Elini Dimoutsos, Dame Ndoye (Dimitrios Papadopoulos 59), Dimitris Salpingidis (Vangelis Mantzios 81).

Unused Subs: Mario Galinovic, Josu Sarriegi, Sebastian Romero, Loukas Vyntra.

Bookings:  Dimoutsos 52.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Hart, McNamara (de Visscher 75), Foster, Diamond, Considine (Mair 61), Nicholson, Severin (Aluko 86), Miller, Young, Clark.

Unused Subs: Kelly, Byrne, Lovell, Touzani.

Bookings:  Severin (30).

Referee: Thomas Einwaller

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)