Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2008-09 fixture list
Aberdeen 2 - 0 Motherwell
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   McDonald 61, Miller 67 (Pen).        
Attendance: 10,302 (Visitors: 241)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Aberdeen v Motherwell

Mark Kerr in action A bitterly cold Pittodrie was the venue as Aberdeen looked to make it three home wins on the trot in the SPL. The opponents were Mark McGhee's Motherwell.

In the fourth minute Mair found Severin out wide and his cross was headed on by Miller to Mackie whose close range shot was well tipped over by Smith. It would not have counted anyway as the linesman had flagged for offside against the Dons hitman.

Sone Aluko was looking to continue his excellent recent form and in the fifth minute he skipped past Fitzpatrick and then Quinn before the ref pulled the play back for a tug by Quinn when advantage could have been played. From the resultant free kick Mulgrew's cross was palmed away by Smith in the Motherwell goal. Motherwell had a chance to go in front in the 11th minute when a Quinn cross was headed towards goal by Porter but Diamond's flick deflected the ball over the bar and to safety. In the 17th minute Considine's ball from back to front found Young and after a good one two with Mackie, Young's final pass eluded Aluko and the move broke down.

A push on Murphy by Diamond in th 23rd minute gave Malcolm the chance put a dangerous ball into the box but Langfield gathered the high ball with no problems. Porter was next to find space a minute later but his dangerous ball accross goal had no takers. A clever run from Kerr in the 25th minute saw him nutmeg Malcolm at the edge of the box but the midfielder over ran the ball and the Motherwell defence was able to clear.

Aberdeen almost took the lead in the 31st minute whe Mackie broke clear on the right hand side of the box. His low drilled cross was blocked by Reynolds who had to blast the ball out for a corner to safety.In the 41st minute a push on Miller by Reynold's gave Mulgrew the chance to test the keeper and his looping effort was tipped over by Smith and the sides went in level at half time.

Aberdeen opened up the second half in with more attacking options as they pushed Aluko up closer to Miller and Mackie in an attempt to gain control of the match. Mulgrew's loose pass in the 46th minute gave Motherwell possession but fter winning it back to young full backs whipped cross was smothered by the impressive Smith.Andrew Considine in action

A long Severin through ball in the 49th minute sent Aluko away but after twisting and turning he could not lose the Motherwell rearguard and the ball was cleared. A 50th minute Klimpl tackle saw the defender escape a booking for late high tackle on the dangerous Aluko and he was even luckier a minute later after once again catching the young englishman late at the half way line.

Motherwell almost took the lead against the run of play after Diamond carelessly lost the ball to Porter at the edge of the box in the 58th minute. It took a last minute lunge from Considine to block Porter's shot. Considine was left injured on the ground after the incident, which was a superb tackle, and had to be replaced but it was a brave and impressive finish to the game for the young centre half who was replaced by McDonald, with Severin moving back into the heart of the defence. It proved to be an inspired change by Calderwood as a within a minute his team had taken the lead. Some magic out on the right touchline by the again outstanding Aluko resulted in a pinpoint cross to the back post and the onrushing McDONALD powered home a crashing header with his second touch of the ball much to the delight of the home support.

In the 62nd minute Young was replaced on the right hand side of midfield by de Visscher and two minutes later it was the dutchmans chance to make an immediate impact as he created the second goal for Aberdeen. A dangerous cross into the corridor of uncertainty saw Mackie bundled over by Quinn in the box. The referee pointed to the spot and gave Quinn his given his marching orders for denying a goalscoring opportunity. Smith in the Well goal was then booked for trying to delay the penalty being taken but it was to no avail as Scotland international MILLER blasted the ball high to the top left hand corner of the net to give Aberdeen a two goal cushion.

In the 66th minute Aluko was replaced by Maguire after feeling what looked like a hamstring problem. The home fans can only hope that the winger was taken off early enough to not cause any major long term damage. Motherwell took off striker Murphy and replaced him with Saunders who took up a place in defence to replace the missing Quinn. In the 70th minute goalscorer Miller then picked up a silly booking by blocking Smith from kicking the ball out.

Lee Miller scores from the spotAberdeen started to make use of the extra man and neat passing play in midfield in the 74th minute led to Kerr knocking the ball out wide to Mair. His cross from the right was cleared behind by Saunders with Mackie lurking in behind ready to pounce. A 76th minute cross from Mulgrew rebounded off Mair in the box, but the ball somehow evaded Maguire at the post and sailed wide.

An 83rd minute tussle between Maguire and Malcolm resulted in bookings for both players. Only a fantastic stop from Smith stopped the Dons going three ahead in the 86th minute. The ball was laid back to Severin at the edge of the box and his blast low and hard to the left was deflected off of Mackie to the opposite corner but somehow the Motherwell goalkeeper managed to change direction and get a hand to palm the ball out. Miller followed up but could only hit the side netting from a tight angle.

Maguire was released wide on the left in the 87th minute with a through ball and his cross almost found Miller in the box but Reynold's managed to block. A Mugrew left foot curling shot landed just the wrong side of the post in the final minute. This was the final action of the match and an impressive second half attacking showing from the Dons as they made it three wins on the bounce at a freezing cold Pittodrie.

Aberdeen: Langfield, Mulgrew, Diamond, Severin, Kerr, Miller, Mackie, Young (De Visscher 62), Mair, Considine (McDonald 59) Aluko (Maguire 66)

Subs not used: Bateman, Foster, Hodgkiss, Paton

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Mulgrew, Mair, Severin, Diamond, Considine (McDonald 60), Young (de Visscher 63), Kerr, Miller, Mackie, Aluko (Maguire 67).

Unused Subs: Bateman, Hodgkiss, Foster, Paton.

Bookings:  Miller (69),  Maguire (83).

Motherwell Teamsheet:  G Smith, M Klimpl, C Porter, P Quinn, K Lasley, S Hammell, M Fitzpatrick, M Reynolds, S Hughes, R Malcolm, J Murphy (S Saunders 67).

Unused Subs: G Nielsen, R McHugh, S Hutchinson, J Page, J Sutton, S McGarry.

Bookings:  G Smith (65),   R Malcolm (83),   M Reynolds (85).  P Quinn (64).

Referee: C. Boyle

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)