Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2008-09 fixture list
Heart of Midlothian 1 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   L Wallace 21.       Mackie 13.  
Attendance: 14,265
Venue: Tynecastle, Edinburgh
Dons make their point as...
Aberdeen players celebrate the goal Aberdeen performed well and were denied a wining goal twice in the second half as the woodwork saved the home side. The Dons grabbed a deserved lead in the 12th minute when Considine released Darren Mackie and the striker showed great composure as he beat Zaliukas and fired the ball past Balogh. Hearts levelled after 21 minutes when they created their first real chance as Wallace played a 1-2 with Nade and fired the ball high into the net with the Dons defence looking very static. Hearts dominated the remainder of the first half but honours were even after the break and although the woodwork denied the Dons Hearts were awarded a penalty five minutes from the end, but the assistant had spotted a dive by Stewart and the decision was reversed although the Hearts man escaped a yellow card.

Hearts kicked off in the blustery conditions as Aberdeen lined up in a 4-4-2 formation. Aberdeen were first to threaten with a speculative effort from Lee Miller in the second minute followed by the first corner of the match a minute later. From the set play Diamond launched himself at Aluko's delivery but headed over the bar under pressure from Berra. Aguiar won a free kick for the home side in the fifth minute as he was brought down by Diamond but the free kick was comfortably dealt with by the Dons defence. A minute later Langfield had an easy save from a deflected shot as the fans enjoyed a lively start.

Aluko made a good break in the 10th minute and combined well with Young as the Dons continued their good start. The Hearts debutant in goal looked Darren Mackie with a great finish to scorenervous in the swirling wind and appeared reluctant to leave his goal line to collect the ball. Three minutes later Hearts won their first corner of the match but Aguiar swung the ball out of play and wasted the chance. Seconds later the Dons took a deserved lead and for the second week running it was Andrew Considine who set up the goal. He released Darren Mackie and the striker showed great composure as he beat Zaliukas and fired the ball past Balogh.

Hearts won a second corner in the 18th minute despite Hodgkiss being impeded in the lead up. Fortunately the set play came to nothing as the home side looked to get back into the match. Hearts levelled in the 21st minute as Wallace played a 1-2 with Nade and fired the ball high into the net with the Dons defence looking very static. The Dons would have been disappointed after such a positive start, but two minutes later Aluko won a free kick although the ball was easily cleared. Hearts went close again in the 25th minute despite the move starting with a blatant hand ball by Berra.

Considine was forced to concede another corner a minute later as the Dons were forced on to the back foot. Mair made a goal line clearance before the ball was fired over the bar as Hearts began to dominate play. Aberdeen finally managed to get back on the attack and a series of long throws from Severin put the home side under pressure before Hearts broke and were denied by some persistent defending from Sone Aluko. A double corner in the 34th minute caused problems for the Dons defence before Mikoliunas headed wide of the target. A minute later Aberdeen made a complete mess of a free kick allowing Hearts to come back on top of the over worked defence.

Richard Foster in action against Hearts A soft free kick in the 39th minute caused more panic in the Dons defence, but fortunately no Hearts player could connect with the delivery and the ball went wide for a goal kick. At the other end Hodgkiss sent in a teasing cross, which was scrambled clear before Aluko was upended. Young fired in the free kick but it was delivered too high and went tamely out of play. Mikoliunas was the first player to be shown a yellow card after a foul on Considine that he wanted to debate with the referee. Aberdeen went close in the 43rd minute when a long ball was headed down by Miller but Derek Young just failed to connect.

Aluko showed great pace in the opening minute of the second half but his cross just evaded Mackie and two minutes later the Englishman was back helping his defence. The Dons were looking more positive in the early stages of the second half without threatening the Hearts goal. Another bizarre decision by referee Conroy in the 52nd minute saw Severin inexplicably penalised and two minutes later Nade won a corner for the home side allowing Aguiar to swing in another dangerous cross that Nade somehow headed over from a yard out. The Dons then won their first corner of the second half in the 57th minute after a horrendous mistake from Balogh. When the ball was half cleared and fell to Hodgkiss on the edge of the box the youngster crashed a fierce shot off the bar with the keeper well beaten. The penalty incident

Langfield was forced into a fine save from Berra on the hour mark after Diamond was penalised for a perfectly good challenge. Hearts won another corner seconds later and another Berra effort went wide. Conditions were starting to cause the players problems and it looked likely that a mistake could gift one of the teams a winner. The Dons had the home side on the back foot in the 66th minute until Aguiar conned the referee into a free kick as he fell over in front of Lee Mair. Aberdeen had a great chance to regain the lead two minutes later when Young won a free kick and Lee Mair headed straight at the keeper as he got on the end of the delivery from Sone Aluko.

A Severin throw caused panic in the Hearts defence before the ball was eventually scrambled clear. At the other end Mikoliunas had a great chance but made a mess of his cross with two colleagues waiting in the middle. In the 72nd minute Severin set up Considine and his shot was scrambled clear by Zaliukas with the keeper in no man's land. At the other end Aguiar headed wide when it looked easier to score. Three minutes later Aberdeen were once again denied by the woodwork when Miller made an excellent turn and fired a right foot shot off the post. Seconds later Mole replaced Nade for Hearts as the game raged from end to end.

The referee has a chat with his linesman Miller had another chance in the 78th minute but his first touch let him down and Berra cleared. Hearts made a second change as Cesnauskis replaced Mikoliunas but Calderwood was happy to stick with his starting eleven. Hodgkiss then set up Miller two minutes later but the Hearts keeper saved well. Considine was booked in the 82nd minute and conceded a dangerous free kick that was eventually scrambled away for a corner before the Dons eventually cleared their lines. With six minutes remaining Hearts were awarded a controversial penalty by referee Conroy, but after speaking with his assistant a goal kick was awarded. Michael Stewart had dived over Langfield as the keeper went for the ball. This was spotted by the assistant but the Hearts man was not booked.

Hearts were well on top now and the Dons had to defend diligently to hold on to their point. Calderwood finally made a change in the 89th minute when Mulgrew replaced Lee Miller. Mulgrew earned his cotton with a dramatic goal line clearance before Stewart fired wide as the Dons hung on. A draw was probably a fair result and now Aberdeen will be looking to turn their home form around when they face Kilmarnock at Pittodrie next week.

Heart of Midlothian Teamsheet:  J Balogh, E Jonsson, C Berra, M Stewart, M Zaliukas, C Karipidis, L Wallace, R Palazuelos, C Nade (J Mole 75), S Mikoliunas (D Cesnauskis 78), B Aguiar (A Ksanavicius 85).

Unused Subs: J MacDonald, J Thomson, J Makela, M Rapnik.

Bookings:  S Mikoliunas (41).

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Mair, Foster, Hodgkiss, Diamond, Considine, Young, Severin, Miller (Mulgrew 89), Mackie, Aluko.

Unused Subs: Bateman, de Visscher, Wright, Maguire, Duff, Kerr.

Bookings:  Considine (81).

Referee: Steve Conroy

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)