Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2008-09 fixture list
Hibernian 0 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM          
Attendance: 11,754
Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh
Kerr sees Red
Jones and Kerr clash at Easter RoadAberdeen earned a point at Easter Road in a controversial match that saw Mark Kerr receive a straight red card for allegedly going head to head with the giant Rob Jones. The Hibs captain was only shown a yellow for his part in the incident, but the Dons held out to claim a point. After an even first half, which saw a Hibs goal disallowed when Nish impeded Langfield, the second half belonged to the home side. A combination of poor finishing and some bad luck prevented Hibs from scoring, but once Kerr was controversially dismissed by Mike McCurry, the Dons showed more steel and deservedly earned the point.

Langfield had an early touch of the ball as he had to rush from goal in the opening minute to thwart Fletcher. Mulgrew had a chance to put in a telling cross in the 5th minute, but the delivery was poor and Hibs were able to clear easily. A minute later Considine made a great challenge as Fletcher looked set to pull the trigger after being set up by Nish. Aluko then skinned Hogg in the 7th minute, but his cross was cut out by Szamotulski in the Hibs goal.

Aberdeen won the first corner of the match in the 11th minute and they almost broke the deadlock as Diamond got on the end of Smith's delivery forcing the keeper to gather at the second attempt with Wright set to pounce. The Dons threatened again two minutes later when Wright headed a Foster cross inches over the bar. A Mulgrew free kick in the 15th minute found McDonald, but once again the effort failed to find the target. A minute later Riordan broke at the other end, but he also sent his effort wide.

Rob Jones is all over Kerr before the Dons man gets sent offA snap shot from Aluko in the 18th minute went wide and at the other end Nish had a weak effort saved as both sides looked to gain the advantage. Tommy Wright had picked up a knock after his earlier attempt and he now returned to the fray with his head heavily bandaged. Hibs made an early change when Murray replaced Stevenson in the 28th minute. The young Hibs player didn't appear to be injured so it must have been an early tactical switch from the home side. After a quiet spell Aberdeen won their second corner of the match in the 35th minute.

A second corner followed as the keeper flapped Mulgrew's effort round the post. From the subsequent delivery McDonald sent the ball tamely wide. Rob Jones was lucky to escape a caution in the 37th minute following a late lunge on Tommy Wright. Mulgrew played the free kick in and the keeper did well to turn the ball for a corner as Diamond looked set to score. From the subsequent corner Wright headed wide as both teams struggled to find the target. With five minutes of the half remaining Hibs won a corner, but Aberdeen defended well.

Hibs had the ball in the net in the 44th minute but it was disallowed. The ball had been swung across by van Zanten and Nish headed home as the keeper came to collect, but the striker had impeded Langfield before heading into in the net. At the other end Aluko and Kerr had efforts blocked before Hibs broke again and Langfield made a great save from a Fletcher effort. The half certainly ended in a flurry of activity as both sides looked to take a first half lead.

Mark Kerr is shown a controversial red card.A wild Kerr effort was all there was to show for the opening five minutes of the second half. Langfield then had to be quick of his line to deny Rosa before a poor Riordan effort was headed into the hands of the keeper. Nish was having problems with his balance at this stage and referee McCurry was happy to award a free kick every time the six foot plus giant fell over. Aberdeen were close to conceding in the 55th minute as Severin was forced to clear a header from Nish.

A minute later Fletcher headed wide as the home side looked certain to break through. Hibs should certainly have taken the lead on the hour mark as a Nish cross flashed across goal and Fletcher completely missed the ball with the goal gaping. At the other end Smith went close as the Dons tried to get a foot hold back into the game. Hibs won a corner in the 64th minute but Langfield gathered then the keeper had to deal with a dipping Rankin drive and a nasty bounce in the goalmouth in the 66th minute, but the keeper did just enough to turn the ball over the bar.

It was all one way traffic at this stage, but Aberdeen did break and Smith went close with the Hibs keeper struggling. Maguire replaced Wright in the 68th minute and Murray collected the first yellow of the match a minute later for a late lunge at the substitute. Aluko skinned Murray in the 72nd minute, but once again his final ball was poor. Maguire had a sniff of goal in the 81st minute, but van Zanten managed to clear.

Nish fouls Langfield before puting the ball in the netAluko was penalised for a nothing challenge two minutes later and seconds later Hibs were threatening with a corner. Fortunately the Dons defended the set play and at the other end there was a flare up between Jones and Kerr. When the handbags were put down the Dons midfielder was sensationally red carded. If the Dons man was meant to have gone head to head with Jones then he must have one heck of a long neck. Jones was then shown a yellow for his part in the incident. The sending off forced Calderwood to replace Aluko with Young and almost immediately Maguire won a corner, but the striker headed the set play wide.

A Riordan shot went well wide in the 90th minute before Aberdeen ventured forward as they looked to try and grab the winning goal. Maguire showed some fine skill, but he had no one to play the ball to and Hibs broke. Deep in injury time another swerving shot by Rankin took a horrible bounce and Langfield actually did well in the end as the ball hit his chest and was cleared by Severin to ensure Aberdeen earned a point.

Hibernian Teamsheet:  G Szamotulski, D van Zanten, C Hogg, R Jones, L Stevenson (I Murray 27), D Riordan, D Rosa, J Rankin, A O'Brien, S Fletcher, C Nish.

Unused Subs: A McNeil, S Thicot, P Hanlon, R Chisholm, J Johansson, J Keenan.

Bookings:  I Murray (69),   R Jones (83)

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Mulgrew, Foster, Severin, Diamond, Considine, Smith, Kerr, Aluko (Young), Wright (Maguire), McDonald.

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Kerr (83).

Referee: T. Mike McCurry, Glasgow

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)