Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2003-04 fixture list
Aberdeen 0 - 0 Partick Thistle
Kick Off:  7:45 PM          
Attendance: 7,395 (Visitors: 118)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Spot of bother for sorry Dons
Aberdeen had the chance to finally pull themselves off of second bottom spot, but despite creating a sackful of chances they couldn't breach the Jags defence. The misses included a Sheerin spot kick and two close range misses from McGuire. Partick never looked liked they wanted to win the match and Aberdeen scorned their chances and finally put paid to their top six aspirations.

The Dons kicked off with David Preece taking the captains armband and Hart partnering McGuire in the centre of the defence. Aberdeen carved out the first chance in the 2nd minute when Muirhead broke on the left and delivered a telling cross. As Hinds went to meet the ball he appeared to be bundled to the ground, but nothing was given and to be fair there wasn't a loud appeal. Two minutes later Zdrilic had a header on target but he was well offside. The Dons were well in control at this stage and forced the first corner in the sixth minute.

Partick still carried a threat and Gibson had a free header in the 9th minute that he steered wide of the target. A minute later Hart made a crucial interception as Partick threatened to break again. Thistle had recovered from a shaky start and a Bonnes cross in the 13th minute almost caught out Preece. A minute later a Morrison snapshot went wide of the target. The Dons should have opened the scoring in the 16th minute when Hinds created space and set up Clark. The winger steered the ball towards goal only to be denied by a goal line clearance from Mitchell. Seconds later Hinds went down inside the box, but once again it looked a soft claim.

Meanwhile at the other end Britton sent an effort over the bar as both sides probed for the all-important opening strike. Leigh Hinds was continuing the good form of Saturday and won a free kick in the 26th minute following another penetrating run. Morrison made a decent delivery, but play was stopped as the eager Dons attack drifted into an offside position. A minute later Hinds was causing more problems and hit a decent shot inches wide of Langfield's goal. The Dons went close again in the 32nd minute when Zdrilic headed a Hart cross inches wide of the goal with Langfield beaten.

Aberdeen had a great chance to take the lead in the 33rd minute when Madaschi tripped Hinds inside the Jags box. Sheerin hit the spot kick firmly enough, but Langfield guessed correctly and blocked the effort. The Dons then laid siege to the Jags goal, but desperate defending and good goalkeeping kept the home side at bay. Sheerin tried to make amends in the 43rd minute with a low drive, but the keeper held the shot easily. Neither side were able to carve out further chances before referee Rowbotham brought proceedings to a halt.

The Dons continued the second half in control and Muirhead hit a dipping volley in the 50th minute, which didn't quite dip enough. The Dons were then halted by a couple of hotly disputed offside decisions as they tried to find a way past the Thistle defence. In a real goalmouth scramble in the 58th minute the Dons spurned another chance. This time it was Zdrilic who had his shot blocked as Langfield remained firm in the Partick goal. Hinds went close again in the 63rd minute despite a mix up with Clark. Once again the shot missed the target as it looped over the bar.

Then in the 65th minute good build up play by Heikkinen released McNaughton and his cut back found Zdrilic in the centre. Yet again Langfield was on hand to deny the striker from close range. A minute later a Morrison free kick was placed straight into the arms of Jamie Langfield, as the Dons appeared to run out of ideas. The keeper again easily collected a long-range effort from Hinds in the 68th minute. Three minutes later a Morrison free kick was whipped in and scrambled clear. Then McGuire should have scored seconds later when Hinds drilled the ball back in and McGuire somehow screwed his shot wide from three yards.

The misses just kept coming and in the 76th minute it was McGuire who was the sinner again. This time he headed a Zdrilic flick over the bar from even closer than the previous miss. Paterson then decided to introduce a third striker as Prunty replaced Muirhead. With time running out McNaughton went close when he cut inside and hit a looping shot inches over the bar. With three minutes remaining young John Stewart was handed his debut and the chance to be the hero when he replaced Zdrilic. It was too little too late however as the Dons were to regret all the missed chances.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, McNaughton, Morrison, Heikkinen, Hart, McGuire, Clark, Sheerin, Hinds, Zdrilic (Stewart 87), Muirhead (Prunty 78).

Unused Subs:


Partick Thistle Teamsheet:  Langfield, Yves Anis, Gibson, Madaschi, Murray, Ross, Mitchell, Bonnes, Britton, Rowson, Cadete.

Unused Subs: Chiarini for Madaschi (46), A. Gibson for Cadete (56), English for Mitchell (66)

Bookings:  Ross (71)

Referee: John Rowbotham, Kirkcaldy

Related Links: