Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2003-04 fixture list
Scottish Cup Quarter Final Replay 
Livingston 1 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  7:45 PM   O'Brien (26)        
Attendance: 4,485
Venue: Almondvale Stadium, Livingston
Ten man Dons crash out of cup
Livingston had one shot on target all evening and that was enough to give them victory over ten man Aberdeen. The goal itself was shrouded in controversy when David Preece looked to be pushed by Fernandez prior to the goal. If that wasn't enough bad luck the Dons then had Diamond sent off for a double yellow card from a couple of innocuous challenges. The Dons lacked a cutting edge all evening and for the second time this season Livingston has eliminated the Dons from a cup quarterfinal.

Aberdeen kicked off and enjoyed a lot of possession in the opening five minutes without threatening the Livi goal. They forced the first corner in the 6th minute and after collecting the home team's clearance Morrison tested McKenzie from distance and the keeper had to get down quickly to smother the effort. Both sides continued to probe, but scoring chances were at a premium as neither defence was seriously tested. With such a low turn out from the home crowd the game had the feel of an U21 match rather than an important cup replay.

Zdrilic had a half chance in the 18th minute but the ball skidded away from him on the wet surface. Two minutes later the Aussie striker was on the end of a 60-yard pass from Scott Morrison, but once again Dorado was quick to snuff out the danger. The Dons won the second corner of the match in the 22nd minute when a long range Heikkinen effort was deflected wide. The move ended with the same player firing the ball well over the bar from a similar range. Livingston managed their first shot at goal in the 25th minute when Lilley was wide of the target with a speculative effort.

A minute later Zdrilic almost surprised McKenzie with a low shot, which the keeper gathered at the second attempt. Livingston then took a controversial lead seconds later when Preece came to clear the ball at the edge of his penalty area and appeared to be pushed to the ground by Fernandez as he cleared. The ball landed at the feet of O'Brien 30 yards out and he delivered the ball into the net with the keeper grounded.

Aberdeen attempted to hit back as they forced several corners and went close when Morrison's deflected effort went inches wide. The subsequent corner created another chance and this time Diamond fired wide. With five minutes remaining in the first half Heikkinen had another dig at goal from distance, but this effort went well wide. Hart felt aggrieved just before the break when Mr. Dougal allowed Andrews to win the ball then take the man then seconds later penalised Hart for a similar challenge on Fernandez.

Morrison had a great chance in the 47th minute when he collected a poor clearance from McNamee and then fired the ball wildly over the bar. The youngster had another attempt two minutes later when Clark rolled a free kick into his path, but the strike was easily blocked. Aberdeen should have levelled in the 54th minute when a good passing move involving Diamond and Sheerin released Hinds. Unfortunately the strikers clever cutback was missed by everyone allowing Livi to clear.

Muirhead was getting into the game more as the Dons tried to move up a gear in an attempt to get back on terms. More controversy followed in the 64th minute when Zander Diamond was dismissed for an innocuous challenge. He had been booked five minutes after the break and his soft second yellow left the Dons with an uphill struggle. Muirhead earned a booking in the 72nd minute after being penalised for a challenge on Fernandez minutes after being on the receiving end of an unpenalised challenge that looked far more severe.

Steve Paterson made a final throw of the dice in the 78th minute when he made a triple substitution. Foster, Prunty and Tiernan replacing Zdrilic, Clark and Muirhead. Hinds broke into the area in the 84th minute, but could only steer his cutback into the hands of McKenzie. A minute later Morrison delivered a wicked free kick, which failed to find a forward. The home defence was looking solid however and it was going to take a bit of magic to get the ten man Dons in behind. Sheerin had a chance to rescue the game in the closing seconds, but his shot went inches over the bar and the Dons were out.

Livingston Teamsheet:  McKenzie, Rubio, Andrews, Dorado, McNamee, Makel, O'Brien, Lovell, McAllister, Fernandez, Lilley.

Unused Subs: McLaughlin for Lovell (60)

Bookings:  McAllister (45)

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, Morrison, Hart, Heikkinen, McGuire, Diamond, Clark (Prunty 78), Sheerin, Hinds, Zdrilic (Foster 78), Muirhead (Tiernan 78).

Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Diamond (50),  Diamond (64),  Muirhead (72),  Morrison (85),  Diamond (64).

Referee: Dougie McDonald, Edinburgh

Related Links: