Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2003-04 fixture list
Kilmarnock 4 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  7:45 PM   Skora 24, Boyd 36, Boyd 58, Nish 61        
Attendance: 4,987
Venue: Rugby Park, Kilmarnock
Dons trounced at Rugby Park
Aberdeen suffered a heavy defeat this evening as they lost their fourth match on the run without scoring. Two down at half time the home side added another two before the hour mark to leave the Dons sunk without trace. The home side also hit the woodwork and had David Preece to thank that the scoring ended at four. Aberdeen created very little throughout the match and simply confirmed their second bottom place for a season that has become instantly forgettable for the red army.

Kilmarnock carved out the first chance of the match in the 2nd minute when Murray beat Buckley and delivered a dangerous cross that eventually found Boyd who fortunately fired the ball over the bar. Hay tested Preece two minutes later, but the Dons keeper made a comfortable save. The home side went close again in the 7th minute when Morrison lost out to Invincible and the Killie man raced forward and found Boyd who once again missed the target. Rutkiewicz was off receiving treatment at the time and this attack led to a collision between Buckley and Preece. Fortunately all were able to continue after treatment.

It was all Killie in the early stages and the home side won the first corner in the 11th minute. Preece commanded his area well and cleared the danger, but a minute later it was Foster who lost possessions too easily allowing Murray to step forward and force Preece into a good save. The Dons finally created a chance in the 15th minute when Muirhead hit a fierce shot that scraped inches over the bar. At the other end Boyd headed over from a Murray cross. Sheerin and Stewart combined well in the 17th minute to unsettle the home defence who to that point had been able to stroll through this match.

Buckley failed to recover from his earlier knock and was replaced by McCulloch in the 20th minute. The change made little difference to the one-way traffic and the home side eventually took the lead in the 24th minute. Murray was the provider as he beat three Dons players on the wing and found Skora lurking. The Frenchman drilled a low shot past Preece to give Kilmarnock a deserved lead. Murray almost repeated the feat in the 32nd minute as he continued to torment the Dons defence. This time he found Kris Boyd, but the Killie striker failed to bury the ball in the Dons net.

The Dons finally managed a decent passage of play in the 35th minute, which concluded with Prunty producing a poor header from a Foster delivery. Within a minute however, Kilmarnock had extended their lead when Skora delivered a deep cross and Boyd beat another two teammates to the ball to slam it past Preece. Boyd almost made it three a minute later, but was denied by a good challenge from Rutkiewicz. Seconds later Stewart went close when he fired wide after good work from Foster.

The Dons were really under the cosh and David Preece prevented a third in the 40th minute with a great save from a Skora header. The Dons were furious minutes before the break when Hay brought down Foster as he honed in on goal. The Kilmarnock defender would have had to walk had the foul been given, but Mr. Brown appeared to take the easy option. With the last attack of the half Nish crashed an effort off the bar and the Dons were relieved to hear the half time whistle.

The Dons made a better start to the second half when a Prunty shot was deflected for the visitor's first corner of the match. Unfortunately the Killie defence comfortably dealt with Morrison's delivery. Two minutes later the lively John Stewart tried to release Foster before the home side cleared their lines. The Dons showed more promise in the opening five minutes of the second half than they did in the whole of the opening period, but Rutkiewicz had to look lively in the 54th minute to deny Boyd a second as the home side eased their way back into the game.

The promising start disintegrated in the 58th minute when Hay was allowed to run 35 yards unchallenged before he hit a shot that was turned in by Boyd. The misery continued three minutes later when Nish added a fourth as the Dons failed to hold back the blue tide bearing down on them. The Dons almost grabbed a consolation in the 68th minute when John Stewart showed good skill to set up Sheerin who hit a curved shot wide of the target. This was to be the young strikers last contribution as Leigh Hinds immediately replaced him.

Nish should have added his second in the 75th minute when Murray again delivered a telling cross that the striker steered wide of the target. Scott Morrison had a half chance a minute later, but hit a poor effort wide of the target. Sheerin then tested the keeper with a shot before Killie broke and put Preece to work stopping a Dindeleux header. Killie went close again in the 86th minute when Dargo headed wide from another Murray cross. The Dons performance was summed up in the 89th minute when Prunty failed to hit the target from 3 yards with the goal gaping.

Kilmarnock Teamsheet:  Smith, Lilley, Dindeleux, Fowler, Skora, Boyd, Murray, Nish, Canning, Hay, Invincible.

Unused Subs: Dods for Skora (78), Dargo for Boyd (85), McSwegan for Nish (85)


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, Morrison, Buckley (McCulloch 20), Heikkinen, Rutkiewicz, O'Leary, Foster, Sheerin, Prunty, Stewart (Hinds 68), Muirhead.

Unused Subs:


Referee: Tom Brown

Related Links: