Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2009-10 fixture list
Falkirk 0 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  7:45 PM          
Attendance: 4,724
Venue: Falkirk Stadium, Falkirk
Defences on top in Falkirk
Jamie Langfield in action this evening.Aberdeen played their second successive 0-0 draw this evening as both sides hit the woodwork in the second half. Barr hit the Dons Cross bar first before Pawlett smashed a brilliant effort off the Falkirk bar after Aluko had set him up. Jamie Langfield had earlier made a great double save from Finnbogason while Lee Miller had an effort cleared off the line in the first half. McGhee will be happy that his side kept a third consecutive clean sheet after the leaks at the start of the season, but he will be concerned at the lack of scoring at this stage.

The televised match kicked off in front of a sparse crowd and it was Falkirk who threatened first when they went close in the third minute through Arfield. His effort won the opening corner of the game, but Langfield quickly claimed the ball and set Mackie off on an attack. Good work from Paton saw his shot blocked before Kerr fired wide and not very handsome. In the sixth minute Mulgrew set up Mackie, but the Dons striker failed to connect with his head with the goal gaping.

The Dons looked comfortable at this stage as an offside decision in the 10th minute halted another reds attack. Two minutes later Falkirk were awarded a very soft free kick 25 yards out, but fortunately the ball was wasted and went tamely wide of the goal. Another soft free kick 30 yards out presented another chance to the home side and the Dons were lucky not to concede as Langfield dropped the ball in his area. Seconds later the keeper redeemed himself with a wonderful stop to prevent the opening goal.

Falkirk players fight among themselves tonight.The home side were looking dangerous now as the Dons started to look nervous at the back. Marceta was causing problems and Ifil was forced into a clearance in the 19th minute and seconds later Foster was penalised as Falkirk continued to probe. As the Dons broke Fyvie played a great ball to Mackie, but Arfield made a good interception. A Mulgrew free kick in the 23rd minute secured the Dons first corner of the match, and this led to a goalmouth scramble as a Considine effort was saved before an offside decision relieved the pressure.

At the other end Arfield and Marceta combined well as the play raged from end to end. A snapshot from Paton won another corner in the 29th minute and the Falkirk keeper was forced to punch a fierce Mulgrew delivery for another corner. This time Miller connected with the delivery and the ball was whipped off the line by Finnigan. At the other end Scobbie had a great chance to set up one of his colleagues, but a poor touch sent the ball out of play. Fyvie was rather harshly booked in the 34th minute foe what was his first mistimed challenge.

The home side were enjoying another good spell as both sides looked to make the breakthrough. Falkirk went close in the 38th minute as they broke quickly and Finnbogason fired inches wide of the target. A poor bit of sportsmanship in the 42nd minute riled the Aberdeen players after the home side failed to return the ball after putting it out of play so that Finnigan could receive treatment. In the final minute of the half Arfield and Olejnik were booked for fighting with each other following a great delivery from Mulgrew.

At the restart Falkirk showed first through Marceta, but the Dons defence stood firm and at the other end Mulgrew won an early free kick. From the resultant set play Miller set up Mackie and the keeper was forced into a fine save. Another soft award gifted the home side a free kick in the 51st minute, but the free kick came to nothing. Marceta was seeing a lot of the ball at the start of the half and a combination of Langfield and Ifil kept the Falkirk man out. Miller and Mackie combined again in the 54th minute but the keeper had a fairly easy save from Mackie. Seconds later Aluko replaced Paton as the Dons looked to unlock the home defence.

Michael Paton evades a challengeAluko's first contribution was to win a free kick as he was wrestled to the ground by McNamara. Langfield was the hero for the Dons in the 61st minute as he made a terrific double save to deny Finnbogason who must surely have thought he had opened the scoring. A minute later Marceta curled the ball wide after Aluko was caught in possession at the edge of his own box. Maguire and Pawlett then replaced Fyvie and Mackie in the 63rd minute as McGhee played his final cards of the night. McLean made a hefty challenge on Miller and was lucky to escape a caution, but despite the Dons having an attacking looking formation they were creating few chances at this stage.

Falkirk won a corner in the 71st minute and although Barr had the ball in the net Langfield had clearly been impeded although it took the referee a few seconds to confirm that. Barr then hit the bar as the home side tried to secure their first win of the campaign. Pawlett then received a booking before Ifil was penalised for a challenge. At this stage it looked as if the first goal would secure all three points. There was a hopeful shout for a hand ball in the Dons penalty area in the 82nd minute but the referee was uninterested, Seconds later Miller found his way into the book then Aluko set up Pawlett and the youngster crashed the ball off the bar from 18 yards with the keeper beaten.

The youngster then attempted an overhead kick that went wide as the Dons looked to try and secure all three points. At the other end Scobbie and Lynch combine well, but Langfield made a comfortable save. With two minutes remaining Kerr forced Olejnik into a save as he turned the ball round the post. The keeper flapped at the corner, but Falkirk managed to scramble the ball clear. A minute later Olejnik saved again from Kerr before Barr through his body in front of an Aluko shot that looked net bound. That was the Dons last chance of the match as they kept a third clean sheet, but their second match without scoring.

Falkirk Teamsheet:  Olejnik, Barr, Scobbie, McNamara, McLean, O'Brien, Arfield, Flynn (Stewart 76), Finnigan, Danijel Marceta (Lima 76), Finnbogason (Lynch 86)

Unused Subs: Michael Andrews, Twaddle, Mitchell, MacDonald.

Bookings:  Arfield 44,   Olejnik 44.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Langfield, Foster, Considine, Ifil, Mulgrew, McDonald, Kerr, Fyvie (Pawlett 63), Paton (Aluko 54), Miller, Mackie (Maguire 63).

Unused Subs: Nelson, Crawford, Grassi, Young.

Bookings:  Fyvie (33),  Pawlett (76),  Miller (82).

Referee: Alan Muir,

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)