Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2009-10 fixture list
Hull City 0 - 1 Aberdeen
    Dean Windass Testimonial
Kick Off:  3:00 PM         Gardner (OG) 39.  
Attendance: 8,272
Venue: Kingston Communications Stadium, Hull
Ifil proves to be a tower at the back
After the disappointment of the two European matches there were a lot of positives to take from this final friendly against Premiership opposition. The trialist Jerel Ifil playing at centre back looked solid throughout the 90 minutes and the Dons confidence grew as the game progressed. They grabbed the only goal of the game after 39 minutes when good play from Aluko created the chance. His dangerous cross was turned into his own net by Gardiner as the Hull defender rose to challenge for the ball with Lee Miller. McGhee gave the four other trialists a run out after the break and the fans will have to wait and see if any developments come from these targets.

Dean Windass was given a huge reception from both sets of fans when he ran on to the pitch. Hull fielded a full strength team in front of a large crowd as the Dons lined up in a 4-4-2 formation in the final match before the SPL kicks off next weekend. Nelson was given an early test in the 4th minute when an Ifil clearance was collected and Nelson had to turn a fierce shot round the post. Windass was then substituted by Hull after only four minutes. He would make a similar brief appearance for the Dons in the second half before playing the last five minutes for the home side.

Hull had the majority of the possession in the opening minutes and Ifil was certainly getting plenty of opportunity to show what he could do. Hull won a second corner in the 9th minute, but the Dons defence held firm and broke quickly allowing Maguire a half chance that he pulled wide from a tight angle. Duff and Nelson had a misunderstanding two minutes later, but between them they eventually managed to clear. The Dons distribution was poor in the early stages as possession was given away too cheaply.

Ifil looked comfortable in the centre of defence and in turn was giving the back four a better shape. Duff delivered a decent cross in the 20th minute after some good passing play, but the home side defended comfortably. Aberdeen then carved out a good chance three minutes later in a move involving Ifil, Foster, Miller and Maguire, but Maguire turned the final ball over the bar. In the 26th minute Hull won a free kick in a dangerous position, but once again the Dons defended comfortably. A minute later good play from Mulgrew halted another Hull attack and then Ifil kept ex-Rangers player Cousin at a safe distance.

Nelson made another fine save in the 33rd minute as he dived low to his left hand side and a minute later Aluko carved open the Hull defence as he hit the bye line and delivered a cross that Foster hit the target with, but with little conviction. More great play from Aluko set up another attack as the Dons looked to be growing in confidence as the game progressed. The pressure resulted in an opening goal in the 39th minute as Aluko swung in a dangerous cross that Gardner could only turn into his own net as he went up for a challenge with Lee Miller.

Mackie and Windass replaced Maguire and Duff at half time and Deano was almost rewarded immediately when McDonald made a great run and fed the ex-Don. Windass hit a sweet shot that was blocked by Gardner and seconds later he was replaced by Rohan Ricketts and took a light hearted rant from Mark McGhee for his miss. Nelson had to look lively as a Camara shot went inches wide before Foster combined well with Ricketts, but the trialists scooped his shot over the bar. Rocastle then replaced Aluko as McGhee took the opportunity to view his trialists.

A Hull corner was defended well in the 56th minute and at the other end a Mackie shot went wide. Aberdeen were knocking the ball about now and Kerr had a grip of midfield as the side looked completely different from the team that crashed out of Europe in such disappointing circumstances. On the hour mark the fourth trialists, Idrissa Alassane replaced Considine as Hull made their seventh change of the day. Ricketts had a good chance two minutes later as he combined well with Mackie, but he failed to produce the finish.

Aberdeen were denied a second goal in the 64th minute as interplay between McDonald and Ricketts set up Miller forcing Warner into a great save to deny McDonald. Young replaced McDonald in the 66th minute and seconds later Miller fired inches wide when he slipped while shooting. Mulgrew did well in the 69th minute as Hull threatened again, but Aberdeen were looking extremely confident now. Crawford replaced Miller in the 70th minute as McGhee looked to give a run out to as many as possible.

A good break from the Dons in the 80th was started by Ifil and Ricketts and Foster combined well, but the final pass let them down. With nine minutes remaining Windass came on again for Hull and the final trialists Ahmed came on for Aberdeen. Hull went close in the 83rd minute as the substitutions took their toll. The Aberdeen fans were very vocal as the game reached the latter stages and once again the red army had come out in force and enjoyed a good performance on the day. In injury time Ricketts released Ahmed and cut the ball back to Mackie forcing Warner into another fine as the Dons finished the match on top.


The Manager's Post Match Quotes

"Everyone looked fitter, everyone looked stronger. Putting in a centre half who looked a proper centre half alongside Andy Considine made a huge difference, someone who was winning those first headers really transformed the way we were able to play.

"It also gave the boys a boost, in increases the competition for places, it increases the options in the system we can play, it gives me options in terms on substitutions it puts pressure on everyone in the best possible sense.

"I thought everyone upped their game today. Lee Miller was terrific, Sone was impressive when he got on the ball, I thought McGuire looked sharp, I thought Gary looked terrific, I thought Charlie defended as well as he has defended since I have seen him and anyone who says Charlie Mulgrew can't defend should have seen him today. The two centre half's obviously, Considine has played as well as he has played, Stuart has come in and done well, Foster has played very well going forward. Everyone did well."

McGhee was not giving away much on what he thought on the trialists but was obviously impressed with Ifil. "We have to decide now if we want to keep them. I don't think we can keep them all but we will keep the players who will strengthen us and that is what we need."

Mark confirmed that Peter Pawlett and Zander Diamond will both be back in training tomorrow with the rest of the squad.

The manager was also full of praise for the Red Army.

"I thought the fans were fantastic today and I think the boys put on a performance that will encourage them. Lets hope we can all work together, the fans, the players, the management team and create something that we can all enjoy."

Hull City Teamsheet:  Matt Duke (Tony Warner 46), Bernard Mendy, Michael Turner (Kamil Zayatte 78), Anthony Gardner (Steven Mouyokolo 78), Andy Dawson (Kevin Kilbane 60), Craig Fagan (Nathan Doyle 51), Seyi Olofinjana (Henri Camara 46), George Boateng (Peter Halmosi 60), Dean Marney, Geovanni (Nick Barmby 46), Daniel Cousin (Caleb Folan 51).

Subs Not Used: Nicky Featherstone, Will Atkinson.


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Nelson, Duff (Windass 46), Ifil, Considine (Alassane 66), Mulgrew, Foster (Ahmad 80), McDonald (Young 66), Kerr, Aluko (Rocastle 46), Maguire (Mackie 46), Miller (Crawford 70).

Unused Subs: Megginson, Holm, Bain.


Referee: A. Marriner

Related Links:
Watch Highlights on RedTV (Subscription Required)