Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1906-07 fixture list
East Scotland League 
Heart of Midlothian 3 - 3 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Brown, Brown, Menzies       Ford, Low, Low.  
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Tynecastle, Edinburgh
Opening of the Season
A match between these clubs at Tynecastle, Edinburgh, opened the senior football season in the district last night. The teams finished last season equal in points in the East of Scotland League competition, and it was to decide which was to hold the McCrae Cup that this match had been arranged. Points were also at stake as regards this season's competition. There was, despite the breakdown in the weather, an attendance of about 5000 people. During the first half the Hearts had matters pretty much their own way, and two goals were scored by Brown, who was playing for Bauchon, and one by Menzies. The Hearts forwards had played nicely together. In the second half, however, the home eleven depended too much upon their substantial lead. Their play was not nearly so effective as it had previously been, and gradually the visitors took the game in hand. H. Low got one goal, and then another towards the close of the match, after a brilliant save by Allan, the equalising point was put on by Lawrie. The finish was on an exciting character, and, though the Aberdeen men improved greatly after the change of ends, it was clear that the Hearts had been caught napping. Allan, the new goalkeeper, was at fault in giving away the second goal, but he did some clever saving. At the back Hearts were not well represented, but otherwise there was not much wrong with the play of the team, though the shooting might have been better. The visitors played a hard game all through, and it showed great pluck on their part that they were able to wipe out a three goal leeway. Result:- Three goals each.

Source: The Scotsman 16-08-1906

Aberdeen opened their season last night at Tynecastle, Edinburgh, in an East of Scotland League championship. The match was postponed last season, and it also counted in this season's returns. The weather was showery, but a crowd of about 5000 turned out. The teams were:-
Aberdeen: Mutch; Boyle, Gault; Halkett, Strang, W. Low; Ford, Lawrie, H.Low, Edgar, Lennie.
Heart's: Allan; Philip, Collins; Williamson, Thomson, Dickson; Pearson, Walker, Menzies, Brown, Couper.
Referee - R.Murray, Stenhousemuir.

Throughout the first half the Hearts had the best of matters, their forwards playing a splendid game, and before the teams changed ends the local men had three goals to their credit. The Aberdonians were never very dangerous, although H. Low and Ford occasionally got down, but were weak in front of the goal. After a quarter of hour's play Brown opened the scoring and a few minutes later on registered a second goal. Again the home team were effective a few minutes from the interval, Menzies scoring a grand goal from 30 yards out.

On the resumption, the northerners showed up somewhat brighter, although the first few minutes saw them in their own half stemming a fine forward rush by the homesters. Breaking away, however, they were down at Allan, and H. Low secured Aberdeen's first point with the close shot, after having made two attempts to score. From this stage the visitors had the biggest share of the attack, and Low was again successful from a return. Tremendous excitement prevailed when Ford, an old Hearts player, equalised within the last few minutes, and the game resulted in a draw.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 16th August 1906

Heart of Midlothian Teamsheet:  Allan; Philip, Collins; Williamson, Thomson, Dickson; Pearson, Walker, Menzies, Brown, Couper


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Mutch, Boyle, Gault, Halkett, Strang, Low, Ford, Lawrie, Low, Edgar, Lennie.

Unused Subs:


Referee: Mr. R. G. Murray, Stenhousemuir

Related Links: