Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1931-32 fixture list
Elgin City 0 - 4 Aberdeen
Kick Off:          Newman, Beattie, Donald, Love 10.  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Borough Briggs, Elgin
ABERDEEN TRIUMPH AT ELGIN. Highland League Champions No Match for Dons.
Aberdeen sent their full First League team to Borough Briggs, Elgin, to oppose the Highland League champions, and experienced no difficulty in winning as they pleased. The Dons were merciful in counting only four times; they might have run up a huge total.

The game was played in deplorable conditions, sleet and rain having fallen for several hours before the start. A mere handful of spectators saw the match. It was go-as-you-please with Aberdeen right at the start. On the slippery pitch they controlled the ball much better than the City, who seldom displayed the football which has won them the Highland League flag for the first time.
The homesters fielded Scott, a local junior, at right back, and H. M. Grant, a former City player, was at outside right.
Only ten minutes had gone when Love opened the scoring, and shortly afterwards "Newman" added a second. Never exerting themselves, Aberdeen had no difficulty in keeping on the attack.

Kelman Injured.

Kelman, who was injured at the beginning, went off for ten minutes, while Hendry was also absent for a time. Elgin's only real scoring chance came when Mackenzie beat Cooper, and crossed nicely. Kelman, however, sent against the net from three yards. Twice balls hit the inside of the upright, with Parle diving in the mud. The best goal the four fell to Beattie, who completely beat the Elgin 'keeper from twenty yards.
Kelman did not resume after the interval, Clayton, a former City player, making up the eleven. Even with the wind behind them, Elgin could make no impression on the Dons' defence. Smith seldom received the ball, except when it was sent back by one of his own team.
MacLachlan and Scott did lots of hard work in the home defence. Aberdeen took things very easily, and had plenty of chances. They were content to add only one other goal. After the forwards had walked through the Elgin defence, Donald tapped the ball into the net.

Source: Press & Journal, 20th April 1932

Elgin City Teamsheet:  Parle, Scott (Elgin Thistle), Hendry, Paterson, MacLachlan, Neish, Kelman (sub Clayton 46), Grant, MacLennan, Gordon, Mackenzie.


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Smith, Cooper, McGill, Fraser, Falloon, Ballantyne, Love, Newman, Donald, Beattie, McDermid.

Unused Subs:


Referee: Peter Craigmyle (Aberdeen).

Related Links: