Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1933-34 fixture list
Dewar Shield Semi Final 
Aberdeen 2 - 0 Montrose
Kick Off:  7:00 PM   Armstrong 7, Johnston 30.        
Attendance: 2,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen

Fine Fight the " Gable Endies."


Aberdeen received a harder run than was generally expected in their Dewar Shield tie with Montrose at Pittodrie last night.

The Dons early took command, but encountered a resolute defence.
In seven minutes, however, the visitors' goal fell, Armstrong beating Gerrand after a smart effort by Warnock had been blocked.
The "Gable Endies" were not dismayed and fought back with spirit. Allan twice broke through, and on the second occasion Smith saved his cross with nothing to spare. Gerrand's charge next had a narrow escape when Armstrong headed against the crossbar.
The Second Leaguers were putting up a surprisingly good show, but with half an hour gone they lost another goal. Johnston, unmarked, scoring with a glorious drive.
Montrose had one or two good runs be-fore the interval without success. R. Burnett lost a great chance by delaying his shot when clean through.

Smith Springs to It.

Montrose restarted in great style, and Smith and his backs had to look lively to repel their eager efforts.
Then the Dons put on the screw, but were sternly repulsed.
The visitors were full of running, and R. Burnett had the hardest of luck when he missed by inches with a beautiful first-timer.
Following a spell of defending Montrose broke away on the left, and Stewart just missed with a fine oblique shot.
Aberdeen were top dogs, but could not get the ball past Gerrand, who repeatedly brought off marvellous saves.

Source: Press & Journal, 17th August 1933

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Smith, Cooper, Sharp, O'Reilly, Thomson, Fraser, Johnston, Warnock, Armstrong, Mills, Beynon.

Unused Subs:


Montrose Teamsheet:  Garrand; Dorward, Todd; Nicol, A. Burnett, Robertson; Allan, Mutch, Burnett, Gillespie, Stewart


Referee: T. Small, Dundee

Related Links: