Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1933-34 fixture list
Dewar Shield Final 
Aberdeen 2 - 1 St. Johnstone
Kick Off:  6:45 PM   Warnock 26, Armstrong 75.       Stewart 25  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen

Close Victory Over St Johnstone.


Aberdeen won the Dewar Shield for the fourth successive time by defeating St Johnstone in the final at Pittodrie last night. There were about 6000 spectators.

Saints put up a splendid fight, the Dons not securing the lead till the second half was well advanced.
Saints made all the running at the start, and crosses from Stewart and Tennant put the home goal in jeopardy.
Then Wyllie got a fright, saving in rapid succession from Beynon and Mills with little to spare. Armstrong next had a chance, but shot wide.
With twenty-five minutes gone the crowd had something to shout about, each side scoring within a minute.
Saints led the way through Stewart, who beat Smith from a Mason pass, the ball going in off the post.
Aberdeen tore towards Wyllie from the kick-off and were awarded a free kick. Armstrong secured possession and slipped to Warnock, who netted with a lovely drive. Not long afterwards Armstrong gave Warnock another chance, but this time the inside man drove past.
The Dons were now forcing the pace, and Wyllie dived to save from Armstrong just as the referee signalled for off-side.

A Chance Missed.

Play reopened as keenly as ever, with the Dons holding a slight advantage in attack. They missed a good chance when Gall squared few feet in front of goal, but there were no "takers." Then Thomson tested Wyllie with a great drive from a free kick.
Stewart on the Saints' left executed a brilliant solo run, but his finishing effort was not improved upon.
Saints were always dangerous, and Davidson put in a ticklish shot, which Smith did well to hold on the line.
Then Armstrong had a clear passage, but shot into Wyllie's hands. Towards the close the Dons applied severe pressure, and Wyllie was fortunate to punch out a tricky lob by Warnock.
With Welsh off the field injured, the Dons took the lead. Gall worked close on goal, and Wyllie, only partially clearing, left Armstrong a comparatively easy task to drive the leather home.

Source: Press & Journal, 7th September 1933

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Smith, Cooper, McGill, O'Reilly, Falloon, Thomson, Beynon, Warnock, Armstrong, Mills, Gall.

Unused Subs:


St. Johnstone Teamsheet:  Wylie, Taylor, Clarke, Welsh, Ireland, Campbell, Tennant, Mason, Calder, Davidson, Stewart.


Referee: T.Small, Dundee

Related Links: