Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1934-35 fixture list
Crystal Palace 1 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  6:30 PM   Dawes 57.       Armstrong 76.  
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Selhurst Park, London

Draw with Crystal Palace


By. W. Capel Kirby.

Crystal Palace and Aberdeen played a draw, one goal each, at Selhurst Park, this evening. Incidentally they played suck keen, clean and interesting football as to provide a strong argument for the encouragement of these friendly matches between English and Scottish clubs.

The game throughout was of the most entertaining character and it would indeed have been a great disappoint and unfitting result had Aberdeen not scored their equaliser late in the game.
There were no goals in the first half, in fact Crystal Palace had been so aggressive that Aberdeen scarcely had time to think about initiating attacks. They were a great deal better in the second half

Team Reshuffled

This was chiefly due to some team reshuffling, which saw Ritchie move from left half to outside left. Thomson brought back from the forward line to left half back, and R. Smith switched over from the left wing to inside right. These changes made all the difference.
Aberdeen moved with precision and yet Palace were the first to take the lead. Bigg, the outside left, beat Cooper for possession after a dour duel, and his pass to the middle was steered into the net by Dawes eleven minutes after resuming.
Although quite obviously tired after their journey the Aberdeen forwards combined in many beautiful close passing movements, but had no luck at all in front of goal.
It was fourteen from the end when Aberdeen equalised. Their goal came from a free kick taken by Armstrong from a position about five yards outside the penalty area.
Armstrong's shot was of the unstoppable variety. I have seldom seen a dead ball hit so hard.
Throughout the Aberdeen centre led the line with rare dash, but he was not seen to advantage in opening out the game. Mills was the man who filled this role to good effect. In fact this youthful-looking inside left played a really great inside forward game, fetching and carrying in unselfish fashion.

Many Thrills.

There were many thrilling moments, especially when Armstrong struck the foot of the post with another real snorter, and again when Purdie , the Palace outside right, had a shot defelected off the post by Smith, who was magnificent in goal.
What struck the 8000 people most was the cool confidence of the Aberdeen 'keeper and the backs in front of him. Gavin, who deputised for McGill, never put a foot wrong. His kicking was of a good length and he tackled without hesitation.
Falloon was the the outstanding half-back of the match, but there were times when Dawes and Manders between them were too much for the Aberdeen pivot. Manders gave a really delightful display of football, which was well up to the best Scottish standard.

Source: Press & Journal, 1st May 1935

Crystal Palace Teamsheet:  Ron Dunn, Ted Owens, Bill Turner, Jimmy Wilde, Alfred Haynes, William Smith, James Purdon, Frank Manders, Albert Dawes, Nick Collins, Bob Bigg.


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Smith, Cooper, Gavin, Fraser, Falloon, Ritchie, Beynon, Thomson, Armstrong, Mills, Smith.

Unused Subs:


Referee: F.W.Wort.

Related Links: