Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1937-38 fixture list
Aberdeen 3 - 1 Sportovni Klub Kladno
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Williams 18, Armstrong 79, Williams 84.       Temple 47 (OG).  
Attendance: 16,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen



Sportorni Klub Kladno from Czecho-Slovakia left a good impression at Pittodrie. They were beaten but far from disgraced. Aberdeen gained victory as the result of two goals scored in the closing eleven minutes.
Where the Continental players failed was in finishing. Their approach work was first-rate, and the Dons could produce nothing better than their accurate and neat ground passing.


It was at close quarters that the Czechs were found wanting. So intent were they in playing copybook football that they were inclined to sacrifice scoring chances for over-elaboration. Once they eradicate this fault they will be able to hold their own with any team. Aberdeen were over-confident in the opening period. They took the opposition too cheaply and indulged in too much fancy work. They found their mistake. The Czechs took some time to settle down, but once they got on level terms at the start of the second half they made the Dons go all the way.
The visitors had two players of outstanding merit in Kloz, their inside right, and Svaton, their centre-half. Kloz was suffering from a knee injury received against West Ham on Wednesday, but this did not prevent him being the personality of the Kladno side. He was the one visiting forward who was fully equipped in all departments of the game.
He was fast, clever on the ball, and could go through on his own and try a shot. In fact one of his efforts was the highlight of the game. It was in the second half. He picked up a pass from Junek, dashed through the home defence, and finished with a magnificent drive. It seemed a scoring shot all the way. but Johnstone threw himself forward to effect a brilliant one-handed save.


Svaton proved himself a powerful pivot. He hung grimly to Armstrong, and was the strong man in the defence all through. Tichy, the 'keeper, played soundly, and had no chance with the shots that beat him.
The play of the backs left something to be desired. They were keen and plucky enough, but their positional sense was weak. Kusala was the more impressive. Morawec. at left half, proved he had a good idea of the game. He tackled strongly and kept in touch with his forwards.
The formation of the attack was changed on several occasions, and Benes, who started at outside-left, finished on the right wing. The change of position in no way handicapped him. He was a speedy player and he got over some good crosses. He would have been a real danger had he elected to cut in and try a shot once or twice.


Johnstone in-the Aberdeen goal was the personification of confidence. His handling and clearing were excellent. Cooper was the better back and Thomson was the most effective half-back.
Outstanding in attack were Williams and Armstrong. The diminutive South African is improving with every game. He quick on his feet and is not afraid to shoot. He took his two goals well.
Aberdeen took the lead after eighteen minutes' play. Armstrong and Smeikal went for a high ball. The Czech managed to head out, but Williams took it on the drop and it was in the net before Svaton could clear.
Kladno drew level two minutes after the start of the second half. The ball came down the middle and Kloz fastened on. He was tackled by Temple, and although the left back succeeded in gaining possession he sent past his own 'keeper in attempting to clear.


It was following this goal that we saw the Continental team at their best. They played crisp, neat and accurate football, and the Dons had to give of their best to regain the lead. It was eleven minutes from the end ere they succeeded. Armstrong gathered the ball and raced through on his own to score a grand goal. Twice he was tackled but they could not stop him.
The third goal came six minutes from the end, when Williams smartly headed home a cross from Charlie Smith.

Source: Press & Journal, 25th April 1938

Aberdeen beat the Kladno Sports Club team of Czechoslovakia by 3 goals to 1 before at attendance of over 16,000 at Pittodrie Park. The visiting team gave a very good exhibition of positional football.
The scorers for Aberdeen were Williams, inside right, in the first half, after seventeen minutes play, and the same player, with a header six minutes from the close; and Armstrong, centre-forward, after thirty-four minutes of the second half had gone. The only goal credited to the Czechoslovakians was obtained as the result of a miskick on the part of Temple, the Aberdeen left-back. Johnstone, the Aberdonian custodian being well attended by Kloz, the international inside right, as to be unable to save his charge.

Source: Scotsman, 25th April 1938

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cooper, Temple, Fraser, Nicholson, Thomson, Smith, Williams, Armstrong, McKenzie, Smith.

Unused Subs:


Sportovni Klub Kladno Teamsheet:  Tichy, Smejkal, Kusala, Kozohorsky, Svaton, Morawec, Sajdl, Kloz (captain), Prochazka, Junek, Benes.


Referee: Peter Craigmyle, Aberdeen

Related Links: