Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1949-50 fixture list
Dewar Shield Semi Final Replay 
Dundee 3 - 2 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Fraser 30, Pattillo 37, Fraser 61.       Millar, Muir 5.  
Attendance: 9,500
Venue: Dens Park, Dundee
Defence Becomes Panicky After Dundee Score

Hard on the heels of Saturday's disappointing display at Easter Road came another poor performance by Aberdeen - against Dundee in the Dewar Shield semi-final replay at Dens Park yesterday.

The Dons went under by the odd goal in five, but they were flattered by the score.
There were changes in all departments except goal, but these brought no noticeable improvement. Dundee were by no means a team of world-beaters, but they did try to play football all the time.
Right from the start the home players went for the ball, whereas Aberdeen were not nearly so snappy in the tackle or so accurate in their passing.
A goal within five minutes should have provided the right sort of tonic for the Dons, but they gradually faded out of the picture.
Once Dundee got the equalising goal the Aberdeen defence became panicky, and they never really recovered their equilibrium.
Anderson, who was tried at right hack, was not altogether a failure, but one might well ask why the opportunity was not taken to give a reserve defender a trial in this sort of match. Emery, who was transferred to the left, contrived to keep Gunn remarkably quiet.

Fraser Impresses

Thomson was not comfortable against Jimmy Fraser, the young lad from Dyce. The former 25th Old Boys' leader scored twice and is making marked improvement with every game he plays.
Waddell, playing at right halfback, was powerful in defence, but never came into the game as a constructive half-back in the manner that Rattray and Boyd did for Dundee.
But it was in attack that the biggest contrast was seen. Hamilton and Stenhouse, the Dons' inside men, had an unhappy day and the result was that Muir, who was tried in the centre, got no support and had to all his own foraging. Nor were the wing men successful.
Fraser was the live wire for Dundee, but he got good support from his colleagues. Pattillo may be in the veteran stage, but his willingness to go for the ball made him look faster than the Aberdeen inside forwards.

First Goal,/p> A free kick by Emery brought the first goal for Aberdeen. He loosed a terrific drive from thirty yards, and Lynch pushed the ball against the post. It ran clear to Muir, who smacked it home.
Millar had a chance soon afterwards to make it two, but he shot against the advancing 'keeper, and that was the last that was seen of the Aberdeen attack for a long time.
The equaliser in half an hour could be blamed on Curran, who failed to get away a header from Pattiilo. The ball came back off the bar and Fraser had only to touch it home.
Curran atoned with a penalty save from Boyd, but he was again beaten when Pattillo positioned himself perfectly to head home Gunn's cross.

Curran Beaten

Fraser got his second goal after half-time, when Pattillo put him through with only Curran to beat. The 'keeper came out, but Fraser coolly lofted the ball over his head into the net.
With Stenhouse limping the Done made several switches in attack after this, but they never seriously troubled the defence until Harris had a shot which was misdirected, but dropped at Millar's feet as the winger closed in cn goal. Lynch had no chance with this one.

Source: Press & Journal, 4th October 1949

Dundee Teamsheet:  John Lynch, Gerry Follon, Jack Cowan, Peter Rattray, Doug Cowie, Alf Boyd, Alistair Gunn, Johnny Pattillo, Jimmy Fraser, Ernie Ewen, Jimmy Andrews.


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Curran, Anderson, Emery, Waddell, Thomson, Harris, Millar, Hamilton, Muir, Stenhouse, Hather.

Unused Subs:


Referee: J.R.Boyd, Denny

Related Links: