Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1949-50 fixture list
Dewar Shield First Preliminary Round Second Leg 
Peterhead 0 - 2 Aberdeen
Kick Off:          Hamilton 15, Emery 35 (Pen).  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Recreation Park, Peterhead
Crippled Peterhead Went Down Gallantly
Ten Men Had the Best of Second Half

PETERHEAD made a gallant but unsuccessful bid to prevent Aberdeen from qualifying for the Dewar Shield at Recreation Park last night.

The Dons won 2-0 to get through on aggregate by a 4-2 margin. Played in an electric atmosphere, which affected both teams, the match was disappointing. There was an almost monotonous chant on the referee's whistle for infringements, some of them petty and some otherwise, and in this respect Aberdeen were more guilty than their opponents.
A team can only play as well as the opposition allows them, but over all the Dons were disappointing.
Any faint chance Peterhead had of pegging back a two-goal lead disappeared just on half-time, when George Buchan. their stalwart centre half, was led off with a badly-cut forehead after an accidental collision with Archie Glen.
He did not resume, but, even with ten men, Peterhead did more of the attacking in the second half.
It was only in the last ten minutes that the Aberdeen left-wing triangle produced some of the football expected from an "A" Division side. Peterhead had better scoring chances but failed to take them.
Bobby Jeffrey was again their best player, although Buchan, until he was injured, and Middleton, were also safe in defence.

Punch Lacking

The forwards were clever enough in the outfield, but lacked finishing power.
A commentary on Aberdeen's display is the fact that Martin in goal and Mackenzie at centre half were their best players. The forwards were good only in flashes, and were often beaten by the relentless tackling of the home side.
After Yorston had flashed a great shot against the bar in fifteen minutes, Aberdeen went ahead.
Hamilton collected a throw-in from Anderson, wheeled smartly, and sent home a shot which Cook should have saved.
Seven minutes later, Strachan and W. Paterson both missed great chances for Peterhead, and in the thirty-fifth minute Bray chased Hather and pulled the winger down in the penalty area. The referee had no alternative, and Emery scored from the spot.
The best scoring chance of the second half went to J. Paterson, but he missed from close in.

Source: Press & Journal, 9th May 1950

Peterhead Teamsheet:  Norman Cook, Frank Middleton, Jimmy Simpson, Jim Buchan, George Buchan (Captain), Bobby Jeffrey, Willie Paterson, Jimmy Paterson, Johnny Strachan, Johnny Martin, Norman Bray.


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Martin, Emery, McKenna, Anderson, McKenzie, Chalmers, Hather, Yorston, Hamilton, Glen, Pearson.

Unused Subs:


Referee: Doug Gerrard, Aberdeen

Related Links: