Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1951-52 fixture list
St Mungo Cup Semi Final 
Hibernian 1 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  7:00 PM   Smith 14.       Hamilton 47.  
Attendance: 27,000
Venue: Celtic Park, Glasgow
VICTORY for the Dons against Hibs in the St Mungo Cup semi-final at Celtic Park last night hinged on a penalty award, the reason for which is shrouded in mystery>
I failed to discern any obvious infringement and when I tackled several of the Pittodrie players after the game, they too were unable to provide an explanaation.
The incident occurred after an hour?s play with the score 1-1. Emery hit the spot kick with as much venom as usual but the ball was within Kerr's reach and the Faster Road keeper effected a fine save. I fancy Aberdeen enthusiasts will have few regrets that for once the right back lost his penalty "instinct."

WHEN Hugh Shaw and David Halliday, the respective managers, got together at the finish to decide where the replay would be staged, the Easter Road chief guessed wrongly and the teams will fight it out again at Pittodrie on Saturday.
All the same, had Emery hit the target last night I feel reasonably certain that the Dons would have gained the right to meet the winners of the Raith Rovers-Celtic tie at Hampden on Saturday, at the first time of asking.

A DANDY goal by George Hamilton three minutes after the start of the second half had given the Dons a winning look. They were definitely the better side during this period. They had the Hibs defence really worried.
The improved play of the Aberdeen forwards emphasised that the League champions' defence is by no means foolproof.
The missed penalty apart, the Dons should have won the tie in their second half display. They had the chances.

George Hamilton again proved that he is still a centre-forward of International calibre.
on this form he must be a strong claimant for honours during the coming season.
The Pittodrie front line would have really gone to town last night had Yorston and Baird been at the top of their form.
The extreme wingers were lively. Hather seems to have recovered from the knee injury that has kept him out of the game since January. He did not waste time in getting the ball into the middle and his crosses were usually dangerous. Thomson was undoubtedly Aberdeen's best half-back.
It is never a simple job to quell the effervescent Reilly, but the Dons' centre-half was successful.
It was not until the second half that Harris and Lowrie struck an effective game, but they deserve full marks for their display during this period. They were strong and forceful. Martin played confidently in goal and Emery and Shaw were more assertive than against St Mirren last Saturday.

Source: Evening Express, 26th July 1951

Hibernian Teamsheet:  Jimmy Kerr, Jock Govan, Jimmy Cairns, Mike Gallacher, Hugh Howie, Archie Buchanan, Gordon Smith, Bobby Johnstone, Lawrie Reilly, Eddie Turnbull, Willie Allan.


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Martin, Emery, Shaw, Harris, Thomson, Lowrie, Delaney, Yorston, Hamilton, Baird, Hather.

Unused Subs:


Referee: W.Davidson (Glasgow).

Related Links: