Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1941-42 fixture list
Mitchell Cup Final First Leg 
Dundee United 4 - 3 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   D. Low 14, Gardiner 37, Glassey 51, Glassey 75       Gourlay 28, Milne 53, Pattillo 64.  
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Tannadice Park, Dundee
Dons One in Arrears
Aberdeen went under to Dundee United in the first leg of the North-Eastern Cup final at Tannadice. If the Dons had had any luck at all they would have won by a good margin, for on no fewer than five occasions shots by Aberdeen players struck the woodwork. But with only a goal in arrears they can go forward in the second game at Pittodrie on Saturday with confidence. It was a fast game throughout, and both teams set a high standard.


The Dons were undeservedly a goal down at the interval, and at one period in the second half it looked as if United would win easily. They led 3-1, and it says much for the fighting spirit of the Dons that they drew level before losing the fourth goal. Best goal of the seven was scored by Arthur Milne. Getting possession just over the middle line, he forged ahead and drew the United goalkeeper out, then lobbed the ball over his head into the net. Pattillo's goal was also beautifully taken. The Dons defence came out of the ordeal with flying colours.


Pattillo was always dangerous and was easily the best forward afield. Arthur Milne was a good second. United have a strong attack. They have very clever inside men in Glassey and Gardiner, while Juliussen is always ready to shoot. The defence was shaky at times.

Source: Press & Journal, 18th May 1942



The fans used to chortle over Arthur Milne's magic at Tannadice Park. They were inclined to quake when the former lavourite forged ahead in tnis first game of the North-Eastern Cup final. He was the same lively li'l Arthur. But there was a big difference. He was leading the Dons. His clever bits and pieces were a feature of this fighting, fluctuating tie. But only one feature. There was the joy of spring in the step of Bobby Gardiner. These two rival little 'uns were the big 'uns in a breezy game.
It started with a large-size slice of luck for United. Milne's cuteness gave Gourlay a chance from pea-shooter distance in four minutes. Inside-right first-timed it - and hit the underside of the bar. The ball rebounded and was cleared.
And Dons were more impressive when United took the lead. Gavin, bothered by Juliussen and beaten by a bumpy ground, failed to clear. D. Low nipped in to loft neatly over the bead of the advancing Johnstone.
Gourlay rightly balanced things after Milne had hit a post. Two or three times thereafter Aberdeen touched Brownlie's "timbers" with the 'keeper in doubtful position.
Rather against the run, United led at half-time. Gardiner smacked a beauty from 20 yards to beat the unsighted Johnstone.

In the second half, Massey netted from just inside the box to gild a Juliussen pass. Milne replied in his own grand manner after a close dribble. Patillo levelled things when Brownlee's view was blocked.
Last and leading goal was the best. Glassey counted with a timed to-a-fraction header from a far-tlung pass by Melville.
Rival defences had the biggest share of the bout.
Nothing wrong in home ranks, with Adamson a tireless worker. Gardiner's greatness and Glassey's grit were fron-line features.
Juliussen wasn't seen to his usual powerful advantage. Reason - the quick recovery of calcuating Charlie Gavin from a shaky start.
Cooper was another stout defender. Half-backs formed a fine link, and, with Milne, Pattillo was a pep merchant.

Source: Sunday Post, 17th May 1942

Dundee United Teamsheet:  Brownlee; Sibley, Fordyce; Melville, A. Low, Adamson; D. Low, Gardiner, Juliussen, Glassey, Nevins


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cooper, Howe, Dunlop, Gavin, Taylor, Pattillo, Gourlay, Milne, Drury, Dryden.

Unused Subs:


Referee: J. M. Martin, Ladybank

Related Links: