Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1944-45 fixture list
North Eastern League 
Aberdeen 1 - 0 Rangers
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Taylor 60 (Pen).        
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
It Was Defenders' Day At Pittodrie

THE N.E. League championship has not been decided yet, but Aberdeen are are well on the way to winning it.
They beat Rangers at Pittodrie by a penalty goal scored by George Taylor, but in the second half it was great work by the Rangers' half-backs and backs, and sound goalkeepng by Shaw in goal, which prerenved them from winning be a greater margin.

East Fife have jumped into the limelight. They have taken seven out of a possible eight points from their last three games, and are now placed second, but they are three points behind the Dons and have played a match more. Rangers' defeat has sent them down to third pace, while Dundee seven points behind the Dons, are out of the hunt.

East Fife Challenge

The Dons have still to meet East Fife at Methil in a fortnight's time, but the Fifers are at Dens Park on Saturday, and much will depend on the result in that game as to whether the destination of the championship will be settled this week. At any rate, Aberdeen, with three of their remaining five games at home have a great chance to win the flag. They will certainly take a deal of beating for the honour.
Saturday's Match with Rangers was one of the fastest and most interesting seen at Pittodrie this season. Both teams played good football under conditions which were very testing.
On the whole the Dons were the better of two good teams. They deserved to win on their second half showing.
It was a game in which the defensive work was of a high order. The forwards were not alloved to put to much work on the ball, and were definitely prevented from developing attacks with any great skill.

Goalkeeper's Indiscretion

The young Rangers were a lively combination. They made the Dons go all out all the time, and but for a fooish mistake on the part of Shaw, their goalkeerer, who conceded the penalty, they might have bagged a brace of points. It was Shaw's only error. He had some masterly saves, and his performance is all the more praiseworthy when it is taken into account that this was his first game for seven weeks. He was displaced when Jerry Dawson returned to the fold, but he is too good to be idle.
Another stalwart in the Ibrox team was Woodburn. He was grand in defence and gave Armstrong very little scope. Like the Aberdeen attack, the Rangers' forwards were well held, but they have two very promising young forwards in McLellan and McCormack. who have already appeared in the first team.

Dunlop at His Best

The Aberdeen defence came out with distinct credit. George Johnstone was very safe in goal. Cooper played one of his best games this season. His positional play was exceptionally good, and he tackled and kicked well. His partner. Pat McKenna, also acquitted himself creditably.
Dunlop was at the top of his form. He blotted out the visiting inside trio. Taylor found the conditions not to his liking, but he forced the game and came more into his form in the second half. Cruickshank's constructive work was effective.
Forward, Aberdeen had not an outstanding player. Best of the five was Stan Lloyd. He is improving with every game and is adopting more direct methods. Armstrong was given little scope and Pattillo and Baird, although they worked tremenclously hard throughout, found the slippery ball difficult to control. Miller was good and bad. He was inclined to hold the ball too long at times.

Source: Evening Express, 16th April-1945

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cooper, McKenna, Taylor, Dunlop, Cruickshank, Miller, Anderson, Pattillo, Baird, Lloyd.

Unused Subs:


Rangers Teamsheet:  Shaw; D. Gray, Craven; Watkins, Woodburn, Dougal; McKinnon, Stead, Neill, McLellan, McCormack


Referee: J. Calder, Edinburgh

Related Links: